New float, horse started scrabbling

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by akafabio, Jun 9, 2014.

1. akafabio

akafabio New Member

Hi all,

I am a bit lost atm, I bought a new float 3 months ago and my horse has started to scramble in it. I have had my horse for 4 years now with not a drama floating (traveling to some places over 6 hours away) i have also been floating for over 6 years myself with not a drama and am always a careful driver.

I am quite upset about it as now my horse could have ongoing issues with floating. i have changed sides for him and he is a little better, and also opened the divider and seems alot better.

Has anyone had a problem similar? was it the float?

Thanks and look forward to finding a solution to this :)

2. Kodas Karen

Kodas Karen New Member

I'm quite looking forward to hearing replies too. This has just recently happened to a friend of mine.

3. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

Is the float big enough? Too big? Is the float solid? Have you ridden inside the float to see how noisy it is? Is the window similar to the last floats the horse has traveled in? Better visibility? Worse visibility? Head too close to the window? Is the partition different (ie full length to the floor or just a rail)? Are the brakes more responsive therefore a jerkier ride? So many questions :)

I've had this happen before and went through all of the above to establish where things were coming unstuck. Obviously there are many other options too. Mine in the end was the partition went to the floor and my mare was unable to spread her legs out (hussy) and brace herself. I moved the partition across and she traveled perfectly from then onwards.

Good luck!

4. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

I agree with PWF. I have seen good horses scramble because the float was just not long enough or the partition went to the floor. The most common cure is often removing the partition, moving the partition to one side and / or putting the horse on the left. I had a horse that scrambled but as soon as we put him on the left and moved the divider over he was fine. If I travelled him in an extra large float or angle load he was ok. If it is an ongoing problem I can pm the name of a trainer that can help.

5. akafabio

akafabio New Member

Thanks for the replys :) he is much better on the passanger side, i will try a few other things and try find out exactly why he is doing it.

I guess its just soo frustrating, but hey never a dull moment with horses lol :)

Will keep you all posted, thanks for the replys

6. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Is the new float balanced correctly on your car? Is it a new float or a second hand float?

Floating problems invariably trace back to the handler - what have you changed besides the float?

If you are really concerned about your horse's long term welfare, getting a professional in to assess the situation would be a wise investment. Louise Crosbie from Horsewest is able to do this and well worth peace of mind.

..oh... opening the divider without having an appropriate bum bar attached behind is a potentially dangerous thing to do.

7. akafabio

akafabio New Member

hi nannygoat, thanks for your reply, nothing has changed besides the float. I am starting to think the floor is quite slippery, after speaking to a few people about that specific flooring. once they poo in there it does become slippery.

I think he might have slipped and now he has become very wary of floating on that side.

Float is brand new, i think he will just need to be floated on the passenger side until he can regain his confidence.

8. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

What sort of flooring have you got in there?

9. akafabio

akafabio New Member

Its the dimply flooring, its really good flooring but i think its just to dense and the horses dont "sink" into the rubber when standing on it. Im sure its in heaps of new float expensive and cheap. But then again i could be wrong and it could be the float he may not like.

Im going to take the float back and see what they say, and if they have had the problem before.