New Diet Needed

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Angimac, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Angimac

Angimac Well-known Member

Hi everyone, I am needing to change Elvis's diet. I had him on the VF natural diet for a while from 2011, but this was expensive and time consuming (although he looked great).
    His coat and hooves are not the best at the moment.

Elvis is currently on per day:
    6kg oaten hay
    600 grams lucerne chaff
    60 grams Cell-provide supplement (This depends if it is available, we then use KER Nutriquin or Advanced Equimin.)
    80mls apple cider vinegar
    1 tbsp rosehip granules (wanted the shells but not available WA)
    1 tsp garlic granules

I asked McDowell Treatments if they could suggest a diet, but that has about 12 different ingredients. I would like it to be simple, natural and not too pricey.
    Elvis is a almost 23 year old pasture ornament.
    He has so far had one tooth removed and dentist says three more will be going soon. I tried to replace some of the oaten hay (it seems to contain more and more straw each delivery) with compacted Rhodes grass, but it was one sniff and Elvis never went near it again.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Angimac

Any diet......
    Maybe an equine nutritionist?

3. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

That might be best.
    When I was looking after an oldie with not many teeth I used to feed cooked barley, mineral block and lots of really grassy hay. I only looked after the horse for a few months for a friend when she was in England.
    I was feeding what she used to feed, horse was fat and happy.
    Over 25 years ago now so I am positive there will be heaps of better feed options. When the husband's horse gets old and has not teeth I'm going to feed him steamed barley just because I like the smell. No doubt mixed with a heap of other stuff but I will be getting the cooked barley in some where.
    The hay was unlimited, basically 1-2 bales provided each day.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  4. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

To be able to make suggestions, it would help to know more details like breed of horse and current condition and if more weight is needed on the horse, plus work load and grazing availability.

Your diet looks to be lacking in a few areas, but the above questions need to be answered first, I think.

5. Angimac

Thanks old_mate and Deb2 for the replies.
    old mate I would like to buy grass hay but not really available NOR, I did buy a couple of bales a few years ago from a place in Oakford but Elvis and the alpacas were not too keen and it did not look very good.
    I will keep the cooked barley in mind.
    Deb2 Elvis is a bay Standardbred of the paddock ornament persuassion, he is approximately 15.1hh and an easy keeper. Elvis has had one tooth removed about four years ago, but there is three teeth on the other side of his mouth that will be needing removed soon. He no longer eats the strawy bits of hay. I would like him to maintain his current coverage, but improve his coat and hooves.
    Elvis has access to a mixed pasture which is short at the moment, i.e. Safeguard rye grass and clovers that I sowed in autumn, plus kikuyu, cocksfoot, rhodes and clovers I have sown over the last five years.
    Unfortunately rabbits, kangaroos and the water birds also seem to like grazing on the pasture also.
    Your help would be appreciated.

6. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Okay, thanks for the extra info.

I would suggest, given you are happy with his weight, in general, that you stick with continuing the hay as you have been, but if you feel that you want more condition on him, you could easily increase his hay to 10 or 12 kilos per day.

Continue to give him the Lucerne to mix his minerals in each day.

I would change the cell-vital to Advantage, which seems to work well for WA conditions. Feed it at the full ratio, as per the tub.

The other three ingredients are fine, but if you want to save a little money, you could reduce the apple cider vinegar to 30 mls a day. You could also drop the garlic out in winter, then add it back in during summer at the ratio of one tablespoon per day.

You could add 30 mls of cod liver oil twice a week.

As he ages, if you find he is not holding weight as well on the hay alone, you might like to add a senior feed, like Gumnuts, or soaked Lupins to the chaff. If you chose a pelleted complete feed, then reduce the Advantage proportionally, for example: if you feed half the recommended daily amount of the Gumnuts, then feed half the Advantage. If you feed three quarters the daily amount of Gumnuts, then feed quarter the Advantage (to top it up).

If adding a grain, then still feed the full amount of Advantage.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers, Deb

7. Angimac

Thanks Deb2 for the suggestions, I will finish the Cell-Provide and then change to the appropriate Advantage supplement for Elvis's situation. Will also look at adding the other suggestions if his weight starts dropping.

8. Angimac

What about this diet? The seaweed seems high to me.

6kg oaten hay
    600g lucerne chaff
    wheat bran 100g
    wheat germ 45g
    black sunflower seeds 220g
    linseed oil 40ml
    white millet 1/2 cup
    rosehips 20g
    brewers yeat 15g
    seaweed meal 10g
    dolomite 10g
    acv 60ml
    honey 1 tbsp
    garlic 2 tbsp 3 x week

The hard feed also seems to be a lot.

I have changed Elvis over to Advanced Equimin, but will have to see if his hooves improve. May put the devils claw and chamomile back in his feed.

As Elvis is an easy keeper would I be able to replace some of his oaten hay (because he is starting to loose teeth) with sugar beet/gumnuts/barley to keep sand colic at bay without causing founder/laminitis?

Thanks stockies.

9. madison

madison Well-known Member

I concur the Iodine does seem very high the most I've ever fed was 2 grams

10. Angimac

Thanks Madison, thats what I thought.