New calves for sale

Discussion in 'Product & Service Promotions' started by RVP Horses, May 24, 2013.

1. RVP Horses

RVP Horses Well-known Member

We have 3 new calves that have all been halter trained, tie up and lead. You can pick their feet up and they are happy to be groomed. All are very friendly.

[​IMG]
    This is Cedar he is an 8 month old steer.
    [​IMG]
    This is Cinnamon 8 month heifer. She is gold or the horse equivalent to Palomino.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

hey rvp what is a calf worth these days?

3. domingo

domingo Active Member

**)**) very cute

4. RVP Horses

SM all the details are on the website, but for my Highlands I charge $500 for steers and $600 for heifers.

5. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

If I had some where to keep one......

6. RVP Horses

Being very small cattle they don't take up much space and are very hardy, will eat pretty much anything and do well on it. They're used to horses as well and being such a good natured cow they don't seem to argue with them.
    Thought about renting them out as lawnmowers but they'd eat the garden plants as well:lol:

7. Archie

Archie Active Member

I think I need one of these lol!! Is there much that they can't eat?

8. RVP Horses

Archie as long as the plants aren't poisonous they should be fine. Cattle are better at regulating their weight than say a pony so generally don't keep eating until they explode. Highlands are renowned for eating plants that even other cattle won't touch so if there are any plants you DO want watch out. They also like using young trees for scratching posts and will break them, so these would need to be fenced off. Other than that they are pretty easy care.

9. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Hey RVP in the interests of education how big do these guys grow? I dont have the momeny to buy one although I would love to. I am just dreaming about when I do have some cash that it would be lovely to get one (Or even borrow one) as a good investment to help improve my worm management.

How many heifers would equal one horse in pasture usage?

10. RVP Horses

I can't say I have ever measured them but I can comfortably fit my Bull under my arm for cuddles :wub: and I'm only 1.6m so I'd guess he'd be about 1.3 and the cows a bit smaller. As to how many cows equals a horse. Well that's a difficult question as the cows aren't as picky as horses so utilise the pasture more efficiently. They also don't gallop around as much as horses therefore their energy usage is less so need less feed and are also kinder to the pasture than are galloping horses hooves complete with slide stops and spins :lol:. I guess it depends what horses you are used to. My pony mare lives on next to nothing whereas even small thoroughbreds would probably be skinny. Cattle are also different to horses as they don't seem to over eat whereas again my pony mare who is about 13.3hh will eat all day if feed is available. The cattle have a feed then go away, lie down and chew their cud for a while have a snooze then wander off to eat again. It's a cows life :)

11. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

they do look lovely. Do higlands give nice milk? I think they are more a meat animal aren't they? While I like the idea of knowing that the meat I eat has no hormones and the animals humainly treated I dont think I could raise a calf and then eat it. hopeless I am. I cant kill a mouse without feeling sad about it lol

12. RVP Horses

Mine are all pets so I'm with you. I couldn't kill mine for meat. In fact I don't eat red meat at all. They were originally bred as an all purpose cow so their milk has a higher butterfat percentage than most meat cattle but less than dairy cattle. The Scottish that bred them would use their milk for making butter and cheese. I am hoping to start milking some of my young ones once they are old enough to calve as I've handled them since they were young so trust being around their back legs. It'll be interesting to compare their milk with traditional milk.

13. cathnrob

cathnrob Well-known Member

Hey RVP, Can I swap my little girl hummel heifer for that cinnamon heifer.....PLEASE!! :lol: She's gorgerous!!!:wub:

14. RVP Horses

NO :lol:

She is rather special although I think I might just be a tad biased. I have to admit, out of these three my favourite is Scooby Too. He was named after my red heeler I lost the day he was born and I think he must be Scooby re-incarnated, he is such a sook. Swear he'd curl up on the couch with me given half a chance.:lol:

15. cathnrob

cathnrob Well-known Member

:eek: Oh alright!!! (bottom lip drop)....:( Any chance of a service then for her!!!:D I want some of those horns!!:lol:

16. RVP Horses

Wasn't there someone in another thread about Highland cattle that wanted one without horns? May be they would be interested in your heifer then you can buy my heifer. Problem solved.;) As for the service I'm sure Hamish wouldn't mind another girlfriend but aren't you up north of the river? That's a long way for a set of horns. :unsure:

17. serendipity

serendipity Well-known Member

L cath you want horns on your highland but want your dexters polled ...