New Alternative to EFA

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Brew, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

Crafty push it further with EWA because there is absolutely no reason why a club can't take out a bulk personal accident insurance policy to cover all their members if this is what the club wish to do. It doesn't affect EWA as long as you have adequate Public & Association liability.

2. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

That FAQ says each individual member has to tailor their own insurance requirements if they want to be covered for 'general riding' outside of ATHRA events? With fees accordingly. And then it goes on to say that members are not covered under the ATHRA insurance for riding outside of ATHRA events.

So the ATHRA insurance is public liability and personal accident for their events only. If you want to add personal accident on for other times, then you negotiate with Affinity and they add the cost on for you as an individual.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  3. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

Just a note re EWA replying to emails....... I have been emailing them quite frequently over the past few weeks regarding my performance cards and membership. They have been EXTREMELY efficient in replying, have gone out of their way to help me and all issues have been sorted in a timely fashion.

4. Crafty

Crafty Well-known Member

That's right Lin but much better then what our club affiliation with the efa covers us for.

5. CatLover

CatLover New Member

raw prawn, thats because they know they are eventually going to loose us as members...

Im in!

6. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

BAH!! I rang them about my membership, to see if they would refund me when I move to QLD and the lady said she didn't know and would ring me back, she didn't....... I am now a member of Equestrian Queensland - they were really helpful when I rang about my situation

7. Teah

Teah New Member

Admittedly I'm not entirely informed of the consequences. And I've never really had an issue with EWA.

Although what I don't understand is how the costs between WA and VIC can be so substantially different.

I know how difficult it can be establishing constitutions etc, and wish I could help; but I'll be over east indefinitely so I wish you all the best of luck!!

8. anamcara

anamcara New Member

I'm in **)

9. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Ok -As promised the results are in !!

In spite of some very bitter complaints and a lot of very unhappy campers the final result was 311 people who wanted and would join an alternative to the EA. The suprise was the amount of clubs who would come on board and the level of disatisfaction ranged from not happy to hatred. The biggest single complaint was that existing and ex members felt that the EA held them in contempt. Almost all people complained about the lack of response to enquires which left them fustrated and angry.
    I am bias because I feel that way too so my view is not as fair as it should be.
    The second complaint was cost with the most asked question being "where does the money go?" This was a suprise because I thought it would be " Too expensive" I think the EA realised that any significant price rise would be a mistake
    I had responses from over 600 people both on and off this forum with just over 300 who said they would wait and see what the new organisation looked like and would consider joining. Ten told me to go and do nasty things to myself !!!
    It is important to note that far more non members of the EA said they would join than members and yet all the existing members who expressed an opinion said they were not happy with 5 exceptions.

Given that there are over 7000 known pleasure riders in WA the response is very small and not enough to form an alternative. The alternative organisation would take an estimated 200 riders away from EA which would only splinter the riding group. I think the silent majority would like to stay with the EA but see it improve it's practices and I see an alternative in competition with the EA as not viable at this time.

So now what? Perhaps we all need to take a good look at ourselves - we all want lower prices and friendlier competitions so perhaps we need to take a more active interest and go to meetings etc. Perhaps we need to return to the "good old days" when we gave our time and helped at shows for free !! Shock horror!! In return perhaps the EA would stop treating us like something they found on the sole of their shoe !!!!!

As with most things the reality does not matter - A large and rapid change is required in order to keep our sport healthy . The truth is that small changes within the EA could have a huge impact on it's image.

Thankyou to all those people who responded - Very very interesting.

10. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

And as always, nothing will happen :( The poor communication continues. The poor treatment of members continues. The expense continues. Right now I am lucky, i dont HAVE to do YDH classes and am happy just trianing. But next year may be different, or the year after, and I will have no choice but to join. I pray that by then they have their shit together a bit more!

11. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

How right you are hef and how sad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Actually that is not true at all. You have a choice whether you join or not. It is your choice if you want to compete and at what level. The only way you could say you don't have a "choice" about having to join is if you choose to compete in Official competitions.

Interesting results thanks Brew :) Although remember that not all riders would have known about the "survey" as not everyone is addicted to Stockies *#)

At the moment I am finding the lack of communication to be rife throughout the equestrian world in WA with clubs keeping members up to date being the exception rather than the rule!

13. smash

smash Well-known Member

ever heard of the saying
    "build it, and they will come"

that is what will happen
    cheers

14. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

bloody expensive pleasure horse i bought then mira! lol. EA has monopoly on dressage. If you want to compete dressage you must be an EA member.

And yes equine world lacks communication. Must say that no assoc/club i have had dealings with has been as bad as EA though!

15. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

LOL Agreed Heifer ;) But it is still your choice to compete in dressage :p

I have to admit I would have thought over 300 people wouldn't be a bad starting point. But then I don't have any time to help so I can't talk LOL.

16. needanswers

needanswers Well-known Member

I'm interested in an alternative. Bring it on!