New Alternative to EFA

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Brew, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Sorry but absolute crap !!!
    I have been a volly for over 20 years. I have tried to support EWA in any and every way to the point of offering substantial sponsership.
    The gripes with EWA are well founded - Nobody goes to meetings because nobody listens anyway !!!!!!!!!
    That aside you state we cannot take official shows - DREAM ON. I have approached and been approached by a large number of organisers - it would be the work of about two weeks to get things moving !!
    I do not want to see the EWA lost and nor do I want to lose the SEC but EWA has to pay a lot more attention to its members.
    Right now the gripes are more serious than I have ever seen and are not just about cost.
    EWA must be more user friendly or perish.

In a perfect world EVERY rider in WA would be an EWA member - no adult riders or pony club etc - Every rider a member who can then join any other club they like !!!! The greater numbers would then much reduce fee's so that EVERYONE CAN be a member !!!!!

The problem is that EWA has put an enormous amount of people offside and needs to do some "bridge building" !!

2. smash

smash Well-known Member

well said brew !!!!!!!!!
    **)**)**)

3. montygirl

montygirl Well-known Member

Thank you Brew, you took the words right out of my mouth :)*

4. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Agreed :)*

Everytime the EWA and SEC put costs up whether it be membership or hire costs less people use it therefore less revenue is raised so they have to put fees up more to cover the shortfall and thus lose more customers. It is fairly simple business sense that having costs that are more affordable can lead to higher revenue as it generally leads to an increase in customers :)

As to the AGM, no I did not go for the same reason I don't go to any of the mid-week lectures/clinics. As much as I would like to get there I work full time then have to get home and feed horses and other animals. This means that unless I take half a day off work the earliest I could get to the SEC is 8pm and even that would be pushing it.

ETA: my preference woud actually be for EWA to become more user friendly rather than having a new association formed. I was also under the impression that the office staff of the EWA are paid workers not volunteers so I don't understand how things such as membership renewals don't get done in a timely manner.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  5. IPPH

IPPH New Member

:)):)):)):)) totally agree

6. myst

myst Active Member

Ewa

Just a curious thought. Not sure if official judges can judge at shows non affiliated with EWA, pretty sure they can't, at least dressage judges. You do need judges!! Just ease up and think before everyone goes off half cocked/
    .:))

7. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Why not?
    Does EWA dictate to judges what they do in their own time now?

8. myst

myst Active Member

Ewa

I am not sure, just remember a few years ago being told that I couldn't judge unless the club was affiliated with EWA. You have to remember that we are National EA judges and are covered by their rules and their insurance.

9. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

I just read this and this is something that we were discussing yesterday in our club (I haven't read any further so apologies if I missed anything). Apparently if you are covered by more than one policy then those policies are both void. If you have rider insurance through one association, and it covers you for the events for both associations, then you should not be charged twice for rider insurance. You should be given a card that states you are covered by XXX association and those insurance details are recorded with your membership for the other association. Doesn't make sense to pay twice, and could be looked at as ?insurance fraud? maybe?

I would look into that.

10. goog

goog Well-known Member

What about if you are all genuinely concerned about the current EWA draft a letter to the department of sports and recreation outlining your key issues, make it a concise, clear and articulate document.. Not just my horse doesn't like the ground etc etc.

Get those that want to, to sign off on the document and table it with the DSR and EWA, then you might get some action, the DSR manage the purse strings for EWA and the SEC therefore its important that you notify them.

My only concern with those looking for an alternative is that you might end up losing the lot and that would be a sad day, so if you can be constructive and also willing to compromise on some things, if you are professional and clear about what you want you might just get the outcome you are looking for.

11. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

I started this thread to find out what people really want.
    Many pages later I can only say that people are VERY unhappy and want change. I feel that the biggest issue to date is a complete lack of understanding of the insurance issue. Next would be the failure of the EWA to respond to simple questions. I think that there is a feeling that EWA is ruling people instead of leading them.
    Most members feel that EWA regards them with some contempt and does not have their interests at heart.

In my own personal opinion I don't think that the EWA is all bad. I think there are problems with an entrenched committee who have become a little stale and intransigent. I also think that the whole organisation needs to become more efficient in it's practices to enable better service to it's members.
    I see the issue of the SEC as seperate but am aware that EWA gets stuck with it - by default so do we !!!!
    We the riders are not without blame as we have ceased to support the EWA events in the way that we did. Entries drop as costs go up - sad fact. As entries go down costs go up - sad fact.
    In such a small organisation there will always be a degree of empire building as people seek to gain control of certain aspects- such as in a disipline such as dressage or to control the coaching side etc. This will always cause problems as it is human nature and any new organisation runs the risk of the same thing.

I have found a massive amount of people who are expressing an interest in change - well into the hundreds now and growing. Unity has never been the strong point of the WA horse people and so the avarage horse person gets forgotten. Only if enough people stand up will anything change. The current state of the EWA is YOUR doing (and mine) Perhaps we need a union type body to represent us ? I said I would provide an alternative and stand by that BUT I think we should all take much greater interest in the EWA and help to make it support us.

Sugestions

Get off your arse and help at shows
    Go to or send rep to meetings
    When there is a problem say so to the EWA
    Demand better service

The EWA Could
    Award points to vollies at shows that count towards entry fees
    Advertise meeting better and provide minuites
    Anwer your bloody mail
    Stop loving yourself and ask US what is best!!

There - I feel better now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

i dont want to lose the sec...i quite like going there and used it over ten times in the first half of last year... i get we as members need to help pay for it if we want to keep it... i also like that now i dont have to pay ground fees when i use it. BUT

how do other states manage to not have to pay for their state centers?
    how do they manage to have fees that are considerable less than ours and on some things are a third less than ours?
    as a member of both SHC and EWA- why do i have to have two Full covers?? thats just plain silly... and does it make it more difficult later if i ever make a claim?

my main gripe with the EWA is the lack of professionalism really. i mean seriously... leaving it till late last week to announce costs before disapearing on holidays, not replying to emails, contstant over charging people on stable hire, lack of organisation, the lack of respect they have for sponsors ( dont even get me started on that!!!!) losing regos and entrys.. just to start.
    i dont mind paying for services when i believe its worth it.. but really... we as consumers and members dont get a great service. if the fees where $1000- i wouldnt really care... as long as the service they provided was up to standard.. but i feel like i get $20 service for my $400
    if any other type of service did this- we would simply shop else where... but there is no elsewhere....

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  13. Crafty

Crafty Well-known Member

I am interested in an alternative to the EFA esp since our clubs insurance is not going to cover Lisa's fall when we all thought that was what we where paying them for :(

Please include me in emails etc if you proceed with an alternative I will pm you my email address :)

Cheers! and Yes people must get off their behinds to make change

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  14. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Was Lisa an EA member?

Club insurance is not personal insurance?

15. Crafty

Crafty Well-known Member

Sadly Lis was a life member who's personal insurance had lapsed we where not aware that all our club has was public liabilty. We thought we paid club insurance to be covered anyway hence day fees on insurance etc

And no the club insurance does not cover falls it covers a person being kicked but not riders

16. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Not sure how this is the EA's fault tho?

I don't know of any club that offers 'personal' insurance only public liability.

17. Crafty

Crafty Well-known Member

Because they dictate which insurance company we are allowed to use if we want to be affiliated. And Anon the insurance company they require does not cover riders falls.

However Our trail riding club with another group of us set up uses a diff insurance company which covers us all riders, spectators etc anyone on a ride is completely covered from a kicked in car to a rider with a broken spine.

When I contacted EFA and asked them if I could change our affiliated clubs insurance company to one which would provide us better cover EFA came back with a resounding NO

18. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Active Member

Hi Crafty, Can you name the insurance company your trail riding club is with, that way if we all push our clubs to insure with them we MIGHT at least get insurance which is worth paying for.

19. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

EWA do not dictate which insurance company you are allowed to use in order to be affiliated. To be affiliated with EWA they ask that the Club Public liability insurance standards meet EWA requirements (and you need to provide a Certificate of Currency to prove you have public liability insurance). They are only concerned with Public liability and the insurance that EA have set up for clubs through AON caters for this.

If a club wishes to source their own insurance either through AON privately or another company such as BJS there is nothing preventing them from doing this. They can then ask that a policy be set up that covers all their members for personal accident insurance, although this would obviously have a costly premium associated with it that could then be included in the clubs membership fee.

I do not know of many clubs whose membership includes personal accident insurance but there is nothing stopping the club from doing this.

ETA: A club can get their public liability insurance through EA (i.e. AON) but could then go and source a bulk personal accident insurance policy elsewhere (or privately through AON).

20. Crafty

Crafty Well-known Member

Our trail riding club is affiliated with ATHRA, ATHRA provides our club with insurance cover via the company Affinity.

I will attach a link to the frequently asked questions page. this page deals with both the public liability and the personal cover that is provided to us as members of our club "Coolgardie Pleasure Riding Club" Fee's are small. Our club membership fee which includes the insurance is $70 a year per member. We keep $30 for the club and send the rest to ATHRA which they then use to pay administration costs and our insurance :)

Have a look and read it is a basic fact sheet but you could always contact Affinity to ask more questions. I know ATHRA gets us a good deal as it is a national body and pushes the prices for more members etc...

http://www.athra.com.au/Site/Docs/Docs/FAQs_Insurance_261009.pdf

Double Helix I did ask the EFA if we could do that and they said No. I don't know an awful lot about the EFA but I do know what I was told when I asked over the phone. I don't know if the person had the correct info or not or where I could get further info from as that was not explained to me I was just given the answer no.