New Alternative to EFA

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Brew, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

As always there is alot of talk on this site about the evil EFA!! For the past year it has been non stop complaints. Just how serious are you?

If you want to form a new body to compete with the EA then this is entirely possible. So far the idea of an alternative association has not been explored. If enough members are truly dissatisfied you have two alternatives.

1.) As a group go to the EA and demand change

2.) As a group form a new association along very simular lines

Both of the above options require large numbers to succeed. At this point in time you are drowning in apathy. Thousands of complaints and lots of whinging but so far only six people have expressed any interest in forming any kind of alternative.

I have the venue and the facilities to house and run an alternative association so if this is what you require then post your thoughts. In the beginning we would need an idea of numbers and the shape and form of any new association would be discussed and formulated once numbers are known. As an individual I would not be prepared to be involved if there were less than one hundred people willing to make the change happen.

Perhaps all riders and interested parties need to think about where they are going as like it or not our small numbers severely limit our options. For all the complaints almost nobody turned up at the EA meeting.

It is a sad fact that in order to make things happen you have to get off your arse.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  2. smash

smash Well-known Member

good luck brew
    i hope people help support this.
    cheers

3. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Thanks Smash

4. Shera

Shera Active Member

Is it ok to ask where the facitity is that you're referring to? Just wanting to know how far away it is if it will be the only option?
    I am happy to support option 1 and then if there is no negotiation option 2...

5. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

The facility is near Midland but I don't think it matters much !!
    If enough people want change then clubs and people will join from all over the state. Once numbers are up there then we call a meeting and elect a small committee to decide on shape and form.
    I am prepared to hold the initial paperwork and provide a meeting point and office if required - I even have room to hold a show if rqrd but any new ass must formulate it's own policies.
    First you need numbers as "expressions of interest" then formulate a basic plan. The final form may be very different to the initial idea - Members must decide and the final form MUST be what members want

6. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Im interested;)

7. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Ok, my thoughts .....
    I would prefer option number 2, but as stated in my PM, I don't have the skills or knowledge to be of assistance in forming the a new association. i.e. legal requirements, code of conduct, constitution etc. I would however support an alternative to the EWA in any way possible. No matter how much change was demanded from the EWA I see it falling on deaf ears.
    IMO gathering a membership of at least 100 is feasible but not through stockyard alone. I know of plenty of riders (be they friends or fellow members of ARC) who would very likely be interested but they're not members of this forum so would be unaware of the possibility. Perhaps those of us here that are interested could contact friends and our ARC clubs and see what real interest is out there ?
    Perhaps providing an email address would be an idea so interested parties outside of SY could register their interest ?
    An Association similar to what Smash spoke about and that caters for riders who aren't aiming to ride at a national level could encompass the vast majority of horse owners with an interest in dressage. Something that's designed by us, for us.

8. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

9. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

I am not a member of any association so have no idea as to what the problems have been. I don't want to hijack this thread so could someone pm me what the issues have been so I can make an informed decision?

10. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Well you know I'm in.
    I think the word needs to be spread further than stockies too, but its a starting point. From here, with enough interest, we can put flyers up at saddlers/stockfeeders (maybe even get sponsorship?), newspaper etc.

A dressage/riding assoc. by the riders FOR the riders :) and not dictated to by EA national!

11. pso

pso Gold Member

Isnt what is suggested already catered for at ARC's??:confused:

Surely if there are willing people- their energies would be better utilised within the existing framework??
    At the end of the day...Whinge about how dressage is run all you like...but dont see anyone putting their hand up to run it? Clubs/sporting bodies can only run with a committee...when there are no nominations, sometimes you have to make do with what you have:}

Exactly how many of the current clubs have started...The problem is keeping enough people on board to run them, who all have the same aims...;)
    Whats wrong with EA national??:confused:

12. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Oh just that EWA always blames EA for cost increases etc lol.

So PSO sounds like you are very happy with EWA. And yet you didnt join?

13. luffy

luffy Active Member

As I mentioned in the EWA membership thread ... ARCA is considering affiliating with EWA and then obtaining insurance through EA.

If this happens then we would encourage clubs to affiliate with ARCA (currently there are about 12 clubs affiliated). Once a club is a paid affiliated member of ARCA then their members will be covered by (public liability) insurance at events run under the ARCA banner (Note: members will not be covered for personal accident insurance). So if an ARCA-affiliated club wishes to run a competition, even if they run it in conjunction with say an official/associate dressage day, then they can offer classes for ARCA members and any person that is a financial member of an ARCA affiliated club will be eligible to ride (and not have to be a member of EWA).

This is how I see it anyway. Obviously you have to be a member of an ARCA affilaited club but this should encourage more riders to support their local clubs (i.e. the grass roots) and then encourage your club to affiliate with ARCA and run some competitions :) Simple!

14. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Does that mean that, as say a Magenup ARC member I can do a comp at Gidge ARC without being an EWA member?

15. luffy

luffy Active Member

Yep if both clubs are affiliated with ARCA and they offer "ARCA classes", i.e. not Associate because technically you are not a member of the host club.

16. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Mag already *IS* affiliated with EWA though?

17. luffy

luffy Active Member

No they didn't afifliate with ARCA this year (affiliation with EWA is not the issue), plus ARCA have not gone down the road of obtaining insurance yet (previously we relied on individual clubs being insured and day insurance for those ARCA members who were not members of the club hosting the event or direct EWA members).

As day membership has been abolished and many Adult Riders do not wish to join the EWA for a few low level competitions we are looking at the option of obtaining insurance for ARCA (i.e. public liability insurance to cover members of ARCA-affiliated clubs). Hopefully we can get this in place for next year. What we then need is clubs to hold "ARCA competitions".

18. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

I like my club, but they dont hold any open shows (just a few closed shows, that are not very well supported sadly).
    I would join a dressage club but there are none in my area (well, none with ride-able grounds)

19. luffy

luffy Active Member

You could just "encourage" your club to affiliate with ARCA next year (even if they don't hold shows themselves) because then if other ARCA-affiliated clubs (like Gidge or Zamia) are holding a competition with "ARCA classes" you could compete.

The cost or affilaition hasn't been set yet but it won't be too much, it used to be $4 per club member but will have to be increased to cover affiliation & insurance. The whole club has to affiliate though (for all their members) not just individual members.

20. IPPH

IPPH New Member

I would be interested ... but not solely for a dressage organisation ... as I don't ride dressage ;) If it was able to cater for sj/event riders also, I would switch tomorrow ... **)