need some help for a helmet

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by dirtbug, Dec 29, 2007.

1. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

@)

hi guys i have this old helmet that i feel needs to be updated (no spills, its just old)

so im after a helmet, but im after one that has a wide brim/peak and good ventilation. as im in the northam area and it can get pretty hot out here...

im not sure when i get get into perth to look at the helmets so im after suggestions to sort of kick start my looking if ya get me :)

any info would be great :)

2. lil bec

lil bec Well-known Member

yer the onyx or the dublin silverline. i have the silver line and i love it and then before that i had the onyx and i loved that to lol

3. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

i love silverlines too, but they sit very snugly and i sweat like a pig in them. i'm onto my 2nd one now and i wouldn't change it, and i'll happily keep buying them, but if i wanted a really nice ventilated helmet i'd look at the ones the endurance riders wear - at least, the ones i know... they have "aussie riders" i think? you can get them in wacky colours & they are super light - very similar in construction to a bike helmet with all their ventilation bits. nice big peak on them too.

4. Emma16

Emma16 Well-known Member

ask primier... she just bought a tipperary(sp). they have great ventilation and they have a peak too.... they're just a bit ugly lol

5. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

thanks guys!!!

its been so long since i bought a helmet for myself i would just stand there and go doh lol!!!

now i have a idea of what to look for, i wont look so silly...

ventilation is very important, as well as sun cover...

i never wore a helmet with my old mare, (i know very silly but i would with other horses) but now i have my young fella, i really need to wear a helmet, so upgrading is pretty important :)

6. chavi

chavi Well-known Member

I tried a Silverline at horseland on Friday. The lovely store manager measured my head and everything, so I know it was the right size for me, it felt VERY snug though. I walked around in it for about 15 mins, decided against it in the end as I was worried it would give me a headache in the hot weather being so snug.

I normally ride in an Onyx, which I love. I really like the look of the silverline though, might have to try it again if it gets more reccomendations.

I originally went to get the IRH 'switch' helmet (love the pink skunk stripe!) but it seemed a bit 'plastic-y' and not as nice as I expected in real life.

7. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

:) Another vote for the Onyx **) I too tried the Silverline, didn't like the fit, too tight and too 'cuddly' around the forehead, I wear glasses and ride in sports sunnies so need them to sit high enough not to push my glasses about.

Have had a couple of Onyx's now, won't be changing :) oh yes and they are great for their actual purpose - I smacked my head on very hard ground being chucked off a 16hh horse at a smart gallop, and not all four feet on the ground at the time lol ... and I didn't even have a headache ... had aches in other areas though!! *#)

8. Beccy Boo 2

Beccy Boo 2 Active Member

Another vote for Onyx. The OH bought one coz he felt the most secure in it (and he's non-horsey, LOL). But he's very pedantic about safety and I agree that this one does the job superbly!

9. baileys best friend

baileys best friend Active Member

onxy helmets all the way

i read a few replies, and i def agree that onyx helmets are the best for ventalation. ive had 3 :D theyre so comfy and lightweight, and your head wont get too hot in them.

10. chavi

chavi Well-known Member

Yes, I am thinking for myself that my next helmet will also be another Onyx. I might get the leather harness next time though, currently have the web one.

11. Halligan

Halligan Well-known Member

I use to work at europa, depends on if you have a price range or not?? If you want a broad rim like a hat you can just buy a stick on brim that provides heaps of shade all the way around your helmet and you don't have to by a whole new helmet unless you think it needs to be replaced anyway? think the brim's are about $50-60 from rough memory. helmets can start from around $59 for ausie rider up to the hundreds. Also if you want a cool one for in the heat don't get a heavily padded one, you're better off going for one with replacable pads like in a bike helmet as they let a lot more airflow in and around your head.
    Any other ifo I can help with just PM me :)

12. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

thanks halligan i didnt realise you could get detachable brims :)

i do need to update its old and even tho i havnt hit the ground it has probly been chucked around or dropped over the years.

13. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Those brims come only in white now, so I was told. :(

14. Veronika

Veronika Active Member

Another vote for the Tipperary
    Very comfortable (I've walked into the house wearing it after rides without realising that it's still on my head!) as it doesn't bounce around the head since it has a great harness system. The vents in it are huge. I haven't had any trouble with lack of ventilation. Acutally, in winter I were a bandana under it because it gets too cold!

15. El_equine

El_equine Well-known Member

If you have a look on ebay sometimes you can get a sun cover that covers down the back of your neck as well as giving more of a peak at the front for around the $10-$15 mark, plus postage. My friend got one a few weeks ago. May be worth keeping an eye out on there for the sun cover at least.

Or Cutana Safety Helmet Shade Price : AU $24.95 (from the horseland website)

I have an Aussie Outback helmet, very light and plenty of ventilation. **)

16. realalvin

realalvin New Member

love silverlines too! my ex one was that.Now i have a harrison howard, loud colour as well.

17. Harney Stone Racing

Harney Stone Racing New Member

My suggestion is to go for onxy helmets.