Need some advice on my naughty Colt !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by lesha, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arfy

Arfy Active Member

obviously never used a serreta (as I described just have smooth metal) it just applies pressure in a different area than trying to pull the horse down when it's rearing at you (horse will win everytime)

If my colt ever reared at me it would certainly be put in it's place, he's well over 500kg and I'd rather tell him off very firmly once (by several beats with a whip/pipe) and have the respect, then have a dangerous rearing horse that could kill you)

2. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

Yup that would do the colt the world of good just give him a good hiding he will respect you for it NOT';':eek:

Hell I wish people would get some common sense when handling horse I am seriously over it reading some of the stupid advise.

Janet:confused:

3. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Arfy for someone who was asking such basic questions about behaviour with your new colt I am amazed at the advise you are offering someone who is having some very similiar issues.....

Beat him???????????????????????????

Yep that'll work, will you do that before or after you tie plastic bags to his ears?

4. I am just wondering what others would do if they have a stallion rearing up on them?:confused:
    I know that here it won't get a pat for it that's for sure!;)
    We want a stallion on his hind legs ONLY when he mounts a mare.:}

5. Arfy

Arfy Active Member

Ahh yet my problems were not related to handling they were when my horse was left alone in a paddock.

Hmm I seem to be typing to generally ... "beating" as in firmly using the whip until he stops the undesirable action I.e. Rearing at you. Not "beating" as in standing there for no particular reason hitting your horse constantly. He should think "oh crap I won't try that again" when he rears.

Sorry if you disagree but rearing on a handler is just too dangerous for the horse to think he can get away with.

6. Briz

Briz New Member

OK Question 1) Was the colt ever actually mouthed or just throw a bit in its mouth?

I dont mean this in a nasty way at all so please dont take it that way - I have a saying.... "You dont know, what you dont know" and it sounds to me like if you are having to ask people how to deal with these issues you are not ready or prepared to own a colt (as much as you may WANT to) - For some reason people, in their fantasy world of making $$$$ with a stallion (which is NOT the case unless you are a large productive company) seem to forget stallions, without correct starting and training are VERY DANGEROUS animals. Not to mention breeding with a feral stallion - even if he has great conformation etc etc is "backyard" breeding and does not do the horse world any good.

The base of a good stallion/colt starts with good groundwork the day the colt is born, and that way this type of carry-on is easily controlled (and thats if it even gets to be as bad as what is being discribed)

If he is advanced as you say then he is ready to be paddocked alone - DONT RISK your friends Gelding - again if your colt is as "advanced" as what you are saying - he will fight with your friends gelding, and possibly hurt him - For your own liability DONT RISK IT!

You need to get this colt to a good breaker ASAP to do some ground work and asses you boy - If you cannot afford to do that, GELD HIM NOW! then put him out in the paddock with your friends Gelding until you CAN afford to get him to a breaker for a few weeks....

I guess the reality is - if you cant afford to send him to a breaker now can you really afford to keep a young colt?

again please dont take offense to anything i have said :D im not intending to upset you just to lay the facts on the table :D you need to be realistic about all of this :D

Also attempting to whip a horse while rearing will get you NOWHERE, just encourage the horse to stay up there and possibly end up flipping its self, or striking out at you/the whip. If the horse was started properly and properly halter trained (or re-educated now by a professional) the weight of you on the end of a rope when the horse started to rear would STOP that rear as the horse has been taught to yield to pressure.

The ONLY time you can punish a horse in any way is when you know 100% the horse understands what its doing is wrong - ie: you have trained the horse to do the correct thing and he tries it on. From the sounds of it he has never been correctly trained so how can he know what is right and what is wrong he is doing what he feels like doing and rebelling against what he doesnt feel like doing - simple :D

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  7. Arfy

Arfy Active Member

Completely agree with brits, everything in that post was dead on the mark.

If a horse already understands the whip means no however, he shouldn't go up more when rearing.

Although Lesha said she had '40yrs of experience' with her, and has done 'advanced' training. Assuming this is true, and you really have had some experienced trainers helping you Lesha. I think some colts/stallions understand the rules i.e. to respond to pressure, but still try and dominate constantly. If they still dont respond to more firm and consistent reprimanding, then gelding is really the only option, that way you should end up with a far safer, more enjoyable horse.

What is your purpose for having this horse? If it for riding purposes or breeding? If you want a safe, enjoyable riding horse that you can take out to shows etc with no problems, then gelding him will be the best answer. Why put up with unneccessary hassle if you ultimately just want a good riding horse.

8. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

Its called good solid ground work teaching respect without having to resort to a whip or poly pipe, its all in the timing reprimanding in a positive way.

You should know yourself the work that was put into your 2 boys all positive and respectful training.
    I really like this new smile thing ';'';' its how I feel when I read some threads.
    @)

9. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Gee Arfy, what gives you the right to question whether Lesha's had training or is experienced?
    Seems you got all hot and bothered when "someone" posted a similiar thing about you and your education with stallions?

And gee Arfy why advise gelding the horse, you don't know its pedigree or anything about the horse or the owner..........hummm isn't that what you replied when people offered you similiar advise about your "spaz behaving stallion"?

Seems you can ask all the realistic and responsible questions of other people, offer sound handling advice about stallions, and yet you fly off when others *including me* ask a few pointed questions about your posts.

Go figure.

10. Arfy

Arfy Active Member

Sorry EVP, this thread is regarding someone else and their horse, if you would like to discuss my or your behaviour you should probably do that through PM to me, so everyone else doesn't have to read that garbage.

And, I was asking her questions, after carefully reading ALL the information in her thread, rather than making sarcastic comments and assuming things. This thread is also about a handling issue, which is different to my thread regarding settling in a paddock.

11. We had all our stallions from babies, it is much easier to train and handle a baby the way you want them to be when they are little if you indend to use them for stud duties later on.
    It is completely different to starting working with a 2yo colt (especially when he already covered mares) with limited handling and poor ground manners. Yanking on the nose will only make him go up. So what other methods could be suggested in a rearing situation? You certainly can't ignore it, so would would be your actions, guys?

12. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Of course this is about a different horse.......
    I don't need to put anything in a PM, and your replies are assuming alot (which is what you accused other posters of)

THESE were your words in reply........they sound like assumptions to me.

Again your words and more assumptions.

Why are you allowed to have "your opinion" and ask questions yet anyone else is called nasty and sarcastic when they do the same?

YOUR horse clearly has behavioual issues that could represent a lack of specific handling.....since you have only owned him a short time why would this NOT be a possibility, and why so defensive?
    Others put the option out there about gelding YOUR horse and you took offense...in this thread you have done exactly the same to this poster and you know as much about her as we all know about you!

How about some consistency here........can we keep it real?

Seems some people like to impart their "words of wisdom" and expect them to be accepted in good grace, but can't allow others the same courtesy!

13. Arfy

Arfy Active Member

Ugh, ... I ASSUMED what she said was TRUE, not ASSUMED something imaginary like you did in a previous thread. and I believe you called YOURSELF nasty. you can quote things I type all you like, i could do the same to you, but I consider that a waste of my time.

Anyway, like I said, if you want to discuss my posts rather than HORSES, please do so in private so the threads are not full of garbage. I'm sure everyone would be quite grateful. The point of this thread is to try and give Lesha some ideas on coping with her rearing colt. if you have any suggestions of Lesha please feel free to post them.

14. goog

goog Well-known Member

I agree, if EVP would like to take it to another post to keep it public then so be it but I would prefer for people to help Lesha with her problem rather than bring the issues of another post into this one.

15. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

I use a serreta on ALL young horses, especially colts as part of their basic training.

I would never take my stallion out in public in anything other than a serretta (NEVER EVER A BIT).

They definately give you more control of the forhand, but you need to be shown how to put one on and use it properly first as they can be brutal in the wrong hands (as can whips, bit etc).

Once the horse understands their action, you rarely actually have to use your serreta to reprimand your horse

16. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Just googled the seretta, oh an interesting piece in its traditional form...

from Sustainable Dressage.

They began training the horse with a harsh Spanish bridle called a ?serretta.? A serretta has metal teeth in the cavesson that puts a great amount of pressure on the bone, thereby giving the rider more control of the horse.

Studded Cavessons

A Spanish serreta iron.Duh? Yes, there are studded cavessons. They are especially popular in the Iberian riding culture. Some use them instead of a bradoon/snaffle when they ride young horses, to "spare their mouths". In this case, it's really a matter of what the studs are like. If they are rounded, fairly flat ones, they have very little effect. But if they are pointy, sharp and raised, they can cause harm and bloodshed.

In Spain this is called La Serreta. The Serrated. Jagged. It is a reinforced cavesson of lungeing type, with serrated edges facing the nose. Supposedly, they ride with light, skillfull hands, or their horses would be bleeding from their noses. I haven't seen such a sight yet, personally.

17. Arfy

Arfy Active Member

I've never used a "serrated" serreta however, i only use the smooth metal covered by leather, i dont trust myself using a serrated one and i believe they can be quite harsh on the horse?

18. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Sounds lovely hey NG?

if you can use it correctly and appropriately so as not to be brutal, then surely a bit can be used in the same manner? ';'

19. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

yah think?? lol

20. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Sorry that the replies can't be kept real.......I see some very strange double standards here......lololol

Yep the benefit of "quotes" is that you are using the words of the poster.....that in fact makes them far from imaginary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't go as far as to call your replies "garbage" I'm not that rude.....but perhaps taking some of your own advise in regards to stallion ownership might go a long way to making your replies sound credible?

You assume as much as the next person by your posts.......and maybe Leshas stallion is worthy of retaining his bits? Maybe not......

But expect to be "quoted" when replies fly in the face of consistency.....its something I am very aware of........people offering bitter medicine that they aren't prepared to swallow themself.

Just how much "bashing" do you think your stallion got?
    Now or previously?

Everything I've read about "stallions" is that they don't respond to heavy handedness and that mutual respect is best taught BEFORE you need restrainers?

But what would I know......ahahahahahah

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.