Need some advice on my naughty Colt !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by lesha, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lesha

lesha New Member

ok i need some advice on my young boy... he is 15 month old Arab colt.
    he is very advanced and maturing very quickly, he is been lunged with roller bridle and side reins and is even dropping his head and has taken to it all very well not any fuss.
    but we have this issue with "rearing " as soon as i do something he doesnt like thats it straight up in the air striking and rearing... not sure on how to stop it, he went through a stage were he was very naughty so we hobbled him , tied him up and put the kick strap on...and was all good.
    so normally he is walked with a bull bit as a very forward and strong some days he is fine to put on others he isent and starts rearing and carring on.. just not sure if i can stop it as he is growing up and going to get alot bigger yet.. he walks on you and is always trying to dominatte me. i no alot of people will tell me to geld him, and it has crossed my mind but he was breed for a reason and has incredibale breeding and is put together very well. will be a great breeder.... put together in all the right ways... just so confused !!! just wont to try all options before taking away his bits..= ( = ( = (

2. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

I think it may just be a colt thing. He's young and still maturing and probably thinks he's still 'boss' as most young colts do.

I think he just needs to learn who's boss. Do lots more groundwork with him, if he starts going up, send him out on a circle and make him WORK! He'll soon figure out that behaving like a turd is not the way to go about it.

And just remember to wear a helmet when working him in case he manages to get you if he does go up.

3. dopeyqh

dopeyqh Active Member

Okay... 15 months? He is still a baby :p Personally I wouldn't even have done any of the lunging or rollers or bridles or anything! With me, he'd be out in the paddock with a few mates and handled for 10-15 minutes once a week. He needs his time to be a baby horse, playing and growing and maturing without any fussing. He's probably rearing because he's stressed, and if I was him I would be too. That's a lot for a foal his age to handle.

My advice, give him a break! Stick him out in a paddock with some nice, friendly horses that won't give him a hard time, and handle him once or twice a week for 15 minutes or so, grooming him, picking up his feet, leading him around. He needs his time to grow up and be a bubby :)

***edit: during the small periods of time that you handle him that I was talking about above, work on the barging and basic groundwork skills. A horse (even a baby) needs to be respectful of you on the ground, let alone in the saddle. I'm a bit of a Natural Horsemanship devotee so I'd recommend the Parelli 7 games for groundwork respect, but he's your horse, I'll let you make your own decisions :) good luck

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  4. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Well, as you probally already know, horses are very clever at working out how to get the pressure to go away.

In my oppinion, this is also true of raring. Ie, you apply pressure, or confront your horse or attempt to do something and he has figured out that when he rares you either stop doing that or release the pressure at the exact time that he rares. Your clever horse has just learnt how to make that pressure to away.

Retrain him by keeping the pressure (or the ask) on him, even if he rares and only take it away when he does what you want.

Above all else, be consistant.

Also, be honest with yourself, and if he is too much horse for you, but you really feel that his breeding is such that you want to keep him entire, then either sell him to a stud or lease or contract (not sure what its called) him to a stud to stand him for you.;) Theres no point him getting a bad name as a difficult horse if he's just clever and outsmarted you.

5. smash

smash Well-known Member

sorry sounds like he would make a great gelding for YOU
    i say this because, who is going to want use an unruly stallion ???
    plenty of GREAT well mannered and with GREAT breeding ARAB stallions around.
    bad mannered stallions are a thing of the past, too many good ones, that have great trainability around these days.
    this colt sounds very over handled, and there are two things that could be the cause of it, and neither a good.
    1) bad handling or
    2) the colt has not got a good training disposition (brain)
    i am guessing it is (1)
    you have used considerable pressure in handling this young colt, and now he has found a way to back you off (rearing) and it works very well for him, so it is not something he is going to stop doing in any fast fashion.
    why not take him to SALTRIVERS (or contact her on here) and get help as she has colt starter classes, and this will help YOU BOTH get back on the right track for your plans for him. there are plenty of professionals that could HELP YOU.
    now i do not mean to be so blunt, but in all honesty, this is all your training, you have trained him to be like this, so YOU need to change the way you deal with things and there are plenty of people that can help you.
    there is NOTHING anyone can WRITE to help you fix your problems as it is all about time and feeling, and this needs to be a one on one lesson.
    cheers

6. EVP

EVP Gold Member

I just love how all these "newbies" come in to the problem horse thread......I often wonder if someone has a case of multiple personality disorder.

OK I'll bite.

You have 2 choices.........

1) Get someone experienced to train him for you.
    2) Get someone experienced to train him for you.

If you can't handle him now, how will anyone handle him for "breeding".

If you don't want to send him to a trainer and you don't want to geld him to make your job a bit easier, then your only other option is to post on here and get people's advise. And of course that will help how?

7. kathera

kathera Active Member

Hi Lesha - Welcome to Stockies

I know little of raising colts so wont give you advice :)

I just wanted to say that personally i think getting peoples advice on here is a great place to start! true a comment on here wont fix your horse, but putting you in contact with people that can help might

what this is all for - networking -

Good luck with him :)

8. lesha

lesha New Member

he has been out with other horse since he was born and that has done him the world of good .... i have been around horses for 15 yrs and have delt with all different kinds and ages . breeding and showing and have been around alot of experieced people. i am not doing anything different with him that we dont do with our others.my other horses are fine and have had the same handleing and are perfect so i dont think its all "ME ". OR BAD HANDLING. ther has been nothing different done with him then the other.he is being showen he needs work from a youngest.
    i have people with 40 yrs of expierence helping me and they who have race horses cant belive his attitude.... and if i cant stop his naughty tantrems i will geld him as yes if i cant handle him now wont be able to as a stud stallion i no that... all i was after if there is anything you can do to stop raring not to be treated like i am an idiot... i am not a newbie i have just changed my name on here... thank you for those who posted something nice and decent.

9. EVP

EVP Gold Member

All the people you have on hand should be able to help you out. They know you and they know the horse. Thats the best advice you'll get.

Take it all on board and then do what you want with your horse.

10. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

Colts can be tricky - I have had a string of colts in the last few years who have been unhandled yearlings and 2 y olds and trained them and sold them on to big dressage homes. They are like other horses in most ways, except some have a 'smartness' about them. You cant let them get away with anything, and you have to watch how far you push them, or their defence (and sometimes 'attack') mechanisms come out.

PM me if you want some help.

11. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I am a fan of Monty Roberts.
    He has a great book called from my hands to yours in which he details how to handle a hrose that rears.

Basically his solution is to do join up with them then get racing goggles on them and put duck tape over the top half.

You know the horse goggles that look like little cages to stop the mud getting in their eyes?

You keep the duct tape on the top of the goggles becasue a horse wont go where he cant see so he wont go up. Once you have them working well then slowly one mil at a time you reduce the duct tape till they are working with full sight again and it should help.

I dont know I haven't tried this method but it sounds good to me.

HOWEVER a word of warning. My worst injury horse riding came from a rearing horse that fell over backward on me.

Personally I would be inclined to find a professional for help in solving this problem then I would put him out in the paddock for a couple of years to give him a chance to grow a brain.

Often baby mischief can be worked out of them by growing up without the dangers of overworking a baby.

12. lesha

lesha New Member

sugar mum, thank you heaps that sounds like it could work... will haved to find out some more about it or even go get the book..
    he has a thing about rearing and going over back wards he has hurt him self once doing it and hasent done it again since that thank god...
    thats what im think it might just be a baby thing and he will out grow soon as he is getting to his teens just got alot of engery might just have to get some1 else who has more experieces to sort it out i guess... going to try deal it and stick with it just dont wont to give up on him at the moment... but thanks ill look into that book = ))

13. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

if you google Monty Roberts you will find his website. He has some educational videos on there htat you can watch to find out about join up. I cant remember if there is one about the rearing horse but there might be one.

Good luck with him. But do be careful.

I am pretty sure the horse that got me ended up sending a jockey to hospital for months with a shattered pelvis.

14. lesha

lesha New Member

ok excellent that is a great help.. = )
    wow what a nutter then.. glad your ok then... at the moment i dont see myself on the back of him..... but thanks you so much !!! = )))

15. smash

smash Well-known Member

deleted as it is not worth it
    cheers and good luck

16. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

He's too young to be lunged, let alone with a bridle and sidereins. If you want to have a sound rideable horse then stop being so hard on his growing bones and ligaments - would you send a 6 year old child on a 30 minute run round the block??
    Also, unless he's an AMAZING example of his breed (and if he's being very difficult to handle then thats a big strike against him), geld him. Happier him, happier you.

17. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

Hmmm, it is very difficult to comment without seeing this behaviour and how you deal with it and also not knowing your personality.....I deal with this sort of thing day in and day out and all horses are not stallions....so not only does it happen with stallions it happens with geldings, mares you name it.....

I would much prefer to address this issue away from eyes and ears that have had no experience, but this is a thing you must work on day in and day out!

Let me know if you need any help, only streets away!

18. Lesha
    Do you own well bred Arab mares yourself?:D

19. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

your colt has 2 main issues : his left testicle & his right.
    hopefully you will get him under control as mentioned prev,no one will want to breed to an unruly fellow!
    do you have a broodmare band equally as well bred to purpose breed this guy?

20. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

jayzuz beagle you make me wet me knicks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.