need info...confussed

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by nazza, Nov 22, 2010.

1. nazza

nazza New Member

cheers fo that kbs...she's alovely mare too. Like his dam, Aslann also has a faint dorsal down hs back ';' would that be classed as a false? So Minees would it be worth dna Aslann then even tho the sire and dam are tested, I read that if parents are then you'll know what the foal will be? Yes it does send your mind in a twist *#) with this colour thing...but interesting aswell. Im learning heaps from everyone.:)*

2. mineees

mineees Gold Member

if mums been tested for the silver and is the type that always throws silver(two copies of the silver gene),then if you get a copy of her paper work it will prove he is silver.But if you get him tested yourself,you will find out if he has 1 copy of the silver gene(unless dad is silver also)and you can get a dun factor test too_Oh and the cream gene if he has that also.So thats 3 tests he can have done.Just means you know 100% what he is.If a parent has two copies of a gene then the offspring has to get one copy of this gene, if the parent only has 1 copy of a gene its only a 50% chance their offspring will get it.We are still learning about all of this, but we have learnt not to rely on what people or papers(rego)say.People have told us that their horse is this or that and when the proper tests have come through its not always what you hoped for.So doing the dna tests tell you exactly what you have. :)

3. nazza

nazza New Member

:)* ahh thankyou. Nicely explained. I will get it done. His sire is perlino his dam silver bucky dun. It will be interesting to see his blue print. have a great christmas too all.

4. KBS

KBS Well-known Member

You only need to test for dun. Dam is homozygous silver sire is perlino so at a minimum he is silver buckskin. He has 50% chance of being dun as well. If you show him in colour classes he goes in silver. The mares new owner has her DNA certificate as I had her tested.

5. nazza

nazza New Member

:)* your a champion KBS thankyou. Apparently B Poetry in Motion is a stunning stallion. I havent seen him only a foal picture I found on the net.
    I took the little guy for a walk today and did some standing..he hasnt forgotten any of his former training. He's a hunny. Has made friends with a white german shepherd....funny as. He's so well behaved reminds me of my other colt I had..similar nature...:p

6. nazza

nazza New Member

I still havnt worked out how to put pics up just yet but he is the one in my avatar on your left. The day he arrived from his long journey. He's clipped now. And feed has enhanced his coat.

7. mineees

mineees Gold Member

you will need hair samples from sire and dam to test for dun...:)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  8. nazza

nazza New Member

you serious!!! okay how do I do that...they are both up in the wheatbelt!';':p

9. nazza

nazza New Member

minees what do you think of him in my avatar???

10. mineees

mineees Gold Member

just get the owners to pull some mane or tail hair,at least 40 strands with the roots attached.Put them in a ziplock lunch bag and label them and post to you.Get them to give you two lots from each parent so you have spares just in case.When you have them let me know and I will guide you the rest of the way....And he looks lovely,saw his picture ad in cavalletti...you can email me some piks and I can post them up here for you if you want...:))