need info...confussed

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by nazza, Nov 22, 2010.

1. nazza

nazza New Member

I have bought a new mini colt that what Ive been told is a silver buckskin, but calculater says Dunalino probability with a Cremello sire over a Red Dun Dam ???? I have typed up for picks for silver buckskin but all the pics are no where near what my guy looks like....help! So does anyone have dunalino, silver buckskin pics to show me, or even experiences and results of a cremello over red dun breeding? Preferably with minis...it really is confusing. I've tried putting pics up but didnt work of my little guy. sorry will try again.

2. KBS

KBS Well-known Member

If it is the pony i think it is, his dam is homozygous silver buckskin possibly dun. So crossed with a cremello stallion he is definately silver buckskin. He looks to have a dorsal stripe but didn't have any other dun characteristics so is probably not dun. If he was a double dilute he would have pink skin and doesn't.
    Tintara has seen him and knows both parents so can correct me if I am wrong.

3. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

Cremello over red dun has no posibility of silver buckskin, so if thats you boys parents, then he's not silver buckskin.

From those parents, you're either going to have a palomino or a dunolino.

Would love to see some pictures of him!

4. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

Hey nazza, welcome to stockies!
    you definetly need to put up pics of the little guy.

( Becc)

5. mineees

mineees Gold Member

a red dun can carry the silver gene with out actually showing it.chestnut/red dun is the only colour that can carry the silver with out it showing...:))

6. mineees

mineees Gold Member

but she said the dam is a red dun???

7. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

Why not simply pull some hair and send it off for testing? Rather than trying to guess at what it could be?

8. mineees

mineees Gold Member

yep thats the way to go...:))

9. nazza

nazza New Member

@) Thanks guys. Yes will definately will be doing a dna test...just getting the paper work together so that I can send for it. SO much easier!**)..but very curious while I wait for results.
    Most of you would know , I think on Cavalletti, KIARA BROOK ASLANN by BURMORAN POETRY IN MOTION cremello Stallion. out of AROONAMIA MATHILDA CHRISTA. Ment to be Red Dun? She is same as Aslann but lighter in body and does have dorsal strip. The Rego papers are on the way now so will know more when I can read them. Aslann does have a red strip on his back. I clipped him and its there still. I appreciate everyones knowledge. And appreciate it. Now to just work out how to put these pics up on stockyard...it will be my next sos if nothing happens grrr lol's.:}:confused:

10. nazza

nazza New Member

Ahh Becc cheers girl.@)...how's you been? Would love to come out and have a drink with you and have Tobi cuddles.:p so drop me a inbox where you are. And yes I know you have been flat out majorly.*#)

11. nazza

nazza New Member

**) Thanks KBS you know who Im talking about...and yes he is like his dam. But will dna anyway regardless. Ill send Tintara a message. Cheers for that.;)

12. mineees

mineees Gold Member

so is it KIARA BROOK ASLANN that you were wanting to know if hes a red dun? or if his mum is...cause he definatley isnt and if his mum is the same colour then she isnt either...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  13. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Don't rely on what colour the horse is reg as.
    Alot of Registrars haven't the foggiest what a horse's colour REALLY is & they Reg said horse the colour "they" think, without checking parentage etc.

I had a Maximum Sabino Aussie pony mare (looked just like a Cremello), she was Reg as Grey!!! To be honest, i didn't colour test her for her base colour but she wasn't Grey. ;)
    Or Welshies that are Buckskin & yet are Reg as Dun? LOL!

14. mineees

mineees Gold Member

we have looked at dozens of duns, and none have been a dun, but their rego papers say they are.so yep what Remaani said, dont count on rego papers.they can and are often wrong.:)

15. nazza

nazza New Member

@) rego papers arrived and on them is perlino stallion dam silver buckskin dun and Aslann as silver buckskin....now... I now appreciate colour breeders!!! sends ya mad! hehehe lols*#) well saves dna testing hey. well Aslann is cute in my eyes and im just so happy to have him. I agree, coloured regos can be off the mark hey, you should see the standardbreds pfft. Ive got to try and load a pic hey...its better to see him than just a bunch of words.;)

16. nazza

nazza New Member

the dam is Aroonamia mathilda christa. Ive seen her pic, she's a lot more reder points and a whiter body with a red dorsal.

17. KBS

KBS Well-known Member

I had Mathilda DNA tested. She is Homozygous silver, carries cream plus Dun. She has all the primitive markings but the silver changes their colour.

18. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Which is why all horses that are colour registered (and even breed registered) should be DNA'ed to confirm colour IMO:) So hard when horses have been entered on registrations with what people think their colour is';'

19. mineees

mineees Gold Member

so is she a silver buckskin dun? but in your top post you said possibly dun, and in this one youve said shes been tested...???

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  20. mineees

mineees Gold Member

yes this is starting to bug me........people are saying this and that and really all you need to do is test and then you can say my horse is this...we test all ours that we have any doubt on colour ect and have the paper work on hand to show anyone who questions it....So I think for all breed regos,if they dont have the paperwork to say what they are then they shouldnt be reg as that colour until they do. unless its a basic dun/dilute colour that is your standard colour,BUT in saying that also people are saying they have big DD duns when they havnt been tested.It comes down to getting tests done before you advertise as something.....we have looked at heaps of ponies/horses advertised as duns and they not...We have bought one saying it was tested,but it wasnt...So we wont know till any dun foals are produced...