'Mysterious" Lameness..

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Beauvelour, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Beauvelour

Beauvelour Well-known Member

Ok My horse obviously heard I was planning on bringing him back into work and is now lame. He was only slightly lame and it was the morning after a storm and apparently he was running around that night so I was thinking he must have just wrenched something. Any way he was just about all better yesterday - checked him again today and he is worse again. I cant find any sore spots on his heels or soles (thinking there might be an abscess on its way out) and I cant find any swelling or heat ';' Rang my farrier and he is coming out on Tuesday. Obviously no one can tell me what it is but just wanting people to throw some ideas at me as to what else i could be dealing with. Thanks

2. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Abscess ;)

3. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Could be lots of things Beauvelour...good you have someone coming out to have a look :) Like KiraSpark says it could be an abscess and usually if a horse is still lame due to an abscess you will not find any exit hole as the abscess is creating pressure in the hoof...it is when the abscess ruptures that the horse has relief from the pain and lameness can improve. Abscesses are funny things and it is possible that lameness can resolve and it is not until months later that the smelly black abscess cavity is revealed during a trim...some people can even get this confused and think they have a case of seedy toe but it is just the remnants of the original abscess ;)

Fingers crossed for something simple and hope he has a speedy recovery :)

4. Beauvelour

Thanks ladies, I hope its something seimple too Retro remedy. Abscess is my fear as he has had a couple come out on his heels in the past. Its just fustrating not being able to do anything, at least if I knew it was an abscess I coul be soaking his foot in Epsom salts or poulticing it!

5. FiLLy84

FiLLy84 New Member

Maybe torn muscle or something similar

6. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

Beauvelour- my horse went mysteriously lame over night. and then he'd be fine a day or 2 later. Turned out he had pinched a nerve just behind his elbow.

7. Beauvelour

How did you work that one out SR? Farrier is coming out this afternoon.

8. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

My instructor had a look for me. She ran her knuckles down behind his elbow and he wanted to kill her.

9. Beauvelour

Ok Thanks for that! I'll see what Farrier has to say and if he cant find anything I'll start looking else where :(