Mycotoxin Binders

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Coda Cowgirl, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

Does anybody know of any mycotoxin binders available in Perth? I know Hygain does one but are there any other brands?
  2. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Maybe look online?

Over in NZ they use them all the time, so maybe buying from there would be an option?
  3. Coda Cowgirl

Only one i can find online is the one from Greenpet in QLD. I can find a reference to a Nutriguard in a SA website but can't find anywhere its sold.
  4. Bekie Marie

Bekie Marie Active Member

What exactly do you want it for Coda?
    There is a company up here that makes them (Qld) They sell all organic pet foods...
  5. Coda Cowgirl

I have a horse that is having a whole gamut of problems at the moment and Mycotoxins are looking like a likely culprit (even if it is just one more thing to rule out!) Greenpet in QLD is looking likely to get an order tomorrow if i can't find a local supplier.
  6. Bekie Marie

Bekie Marie Active Member

Ok, I have been told, not sure on the worthyness of it though, that tuff rock products can also work in a similar way to mycotoxin binders
  7. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I think there is one called Tox-defy, but I can't remember the brand :confused:

Maybe try ringing Gidge stockfeeders? they have a good range of stuff - think that's where I saw toxdefy?

What about buying from the NZ? They'd probably have a better range? Evilbay?
  8. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Googling, and found this page;

All About Feed - AllAbouts / Mycotoxins: Companies selling mycotoxin binders

Interesting reading on this site.

There's a lot of companies there, some don't provide much info #( so you'd have to contact them with questions, but there's a lot there.

That one Tox-Defy is on Greenpet, and it says it's yeast wall extract (huh?) and Vit E. I think i would prefer to then just feed yeast (Yea Sacc for eg) and a Vit E supplement. You'd have to find out what the yeast cell wall extract is though, as it may just be the most important part.
  9. Coda Cowgirl

Ive now found a WA supplier of Tox Defy and will definately be giving it a go. At this stage anything is worth a try.

As much as i would like to just try just Yeast at this stage i am needing to go with something that has proven results even if they are just people say 'yep it worked for me!'

I'll give Gidge a call tomorrow thanks B&T
  10. Cornflower

I was just wondering the difference between plain yeast, and yeast cell wall extract. Just intersted in what exactly the difference is, and how one extracts a cell wall, lol.

About the 'proven' bit, i've been doing a little digging, because reading a reply in another thread about mycotoxins, my horse has/had most of those symptoms, and i've come across a study that did research into the affect of these binders on the toxins, and they found there was no signifcant difference between feeds with and without the binders.

Here's the link;

Although, like you, i would be happy to try it, even if it's just to tick it off the list ;)

if you decide to do this, can you please let me know how you go? :) I'd be most interested.
  11. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I think you'll also find plenty of supporting research on the net FOR tox binders ;)

I believe NZ have a bit of trouble with RGT and it's the norm to feed tox binders to prevent it. We have RGT here, but have trouble finding tox binders :confused: seems silly hey.

Hope Moo gets better CC! Do you know what might be the cause/source of the mycotoxins might be?
  12. Cornflower

Yeah, i've been doing a bit more digging, and have found this page, which is an excellent source of info! It goes through all the individual toxins, tells you what they affect, etc. It's an excellent page.

Know Mycotoxins - Global Mycotoxin Information Resource

This is the company that that link came from, they do a toxin binder, just go to 'brands', and you'll have all their products. Eastern states obviously. Home Alltech -
  13. Coda Cowgirl

14. Jaana

Jaana Well-known Member

Thanks for the link CC, lots of great information there
  15. Cornflower

Rather pricey. Have you tried it yet Coda?
  16. Coda Cowgirl

I am currently using it. I'm hesitant to put up my results yet as one of his stressors (his mare) has been taken away as well. I will give a full update when she comes back.

Its not that expensive when you work out how much you can spend on other stuff trying to solve puzzels!
  17. Cornflower

True. That site has some interesting reading.
  18. ash

ash Active Member

hi i use a lot of there products and they do work well,the vit&min supp is ex. they also do magnesium products, and i can vouch for them, especiall for stressy horse before shows, or i do endurance riding, and my horse is a lot calmer.
  19. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

old thread i know,

but does any one feed tox defy or a simular product,

if so where do you get it, how much to feed quantity for $ value etc

20. Cornflower

Tox Defy is available from the site Coda posted a few replies back. Can't remember how much it is, but you only use 10gr per day.