My New Theory .. Suggestions? :)

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Teah, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Jessie_13

Jessie_13 Well-known Member

sounds like this horse might need remouthing as well?

2. Teah

Teah New Member

He could do ... He's a lot better than when I got him .. He's quite severely on the forehand ..

3. Jessie_13

Jessie_13 Well-known Member

you might want to try having some flat work and dressage lessons, getting him off the forehand and teaching him to soften in the mouth...sounds like he is relying way to much on your hands!

i suggest while you are here, you get a good instructor out, they will be able to give you tips to help when he is having his moments and it will be really good to have someone's eyes on the ground! clinics are good, but it sounds like you need to get someone out to work with you in a one on one setting and without all the excitement of being out with other horses around!

4. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

just sounds a little brain fried to me....

take him to the clinic and see what megan says...

then id take him back to just dressage training for a while. no hooning on trails just walk only. do a bit of trot pole work in an arena if u must but no jumping unless under instruction.

take him right back- no games or sillyness.

i know i cannot do hooning or games or gallops on trails or anything like that on my horse as he heats up- and you cant get him back. its just how it is... destroys bout 6 months worth of training in one ride. you dont think its the same horse.... you just lose his brain and he doesnt know what to think.

then once you have him schooling and quiet then start with jump lessons. then step up again from there...

dunno- just what i would do.
    good luck! talk to megan about it.

5. Teah

Teah New Member

I've had a few lessons on him. Instructors are honestly (not just saying this) VERY hard to come by. We even organised an equestrian group in collie to get instructors down and we've had sue ellis down twice. One time of which I couldn't ride. I've also had lessons with Gary Kenny on him.

He's a lot better with beign on the forehand. And he doesn't bother about other horses at all when it comes to dressage. He is just fantastic. It's just jumping ...

6. Teah

Teah New Member

Yeh I was very good on the weekend ... Didn't take him to the show at all because I knew I'd get tempted and do games. He just loves them and is so good at them. Especially handy pony type things as he's so smart and doesn't shy at things.

I haven't jumped him in a while, just done trot poles a few times. And i try very hard to just walk him out the bush but he arks up..

7. sparkie

sparkie Well-known Member

ever thought the soundness issues are from bad feet? they may look good when the farrier has done them but maybe had a rotation in the pedal bone? spur on the cannons? you never know... it maybe unseen to the eye and maybe internal where you need xrays... it could be a very simple anser to solve this problem too... i wouldnt beat yourself up over the issues... they will ride out if they are behavioural... just keep concentrating on how you want it not how you dont want it... and check internally his soundness....

8. eventkid1

eventkid1 Well-known Member

Completely off topic i know and im sorry but I think im in your group :)*

9. Teah

Teah New Member

That's the next step! :) Hoping to get him up to Larkhill for x rays on his feet next month.. Just gotta get some time off work :\.

10. Teah

Teah New Member

Yeh think we are!! I can't wait hey, hopefully trouble behaves himself haha. Been hanging out for it for ages!

11. eventkid1

eventkid1 Well-known Member

Me either, dobby really needs it!! And dont worry, no doubt mine will be naughty so you wont be alone haha :p**)

12. Teah

Teah New Member

Haha maybe they'll give each other calming vibes or something and be super well behaved haha.
    The dinner is going to be so cool... And maybe she'll ride our horses for us haha.

13. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

there are some great ideas on this thread and these are my thoughts

he's unsound for eventing, if it is his feet being flat it will take years to fix and there is no quick fix, being shod doesn't solve the problem all the time. if ur horses is flat the farrier should be working on the concevity which took ozzie's feet 2 years to be corrected. it sounds like ur farrier is doing the right thing by checking angles.

he sounds overcooked/fried, imho doing 1* training on a 10 year old with only 2 years eventing experience is alot to ask. u don't know if the 2 years experience was good experience so i think u've rushed him through the grades and the heights and he's not mature to handle it. he might be "willing" but confidence might have been false. he might be bold then, but he's just not coping anymore. he needs to be brought back and retained, going to more and more competitions isn't solving the problem it's making it worse and it's goin to ruin a good horse.

also he sounds like remouthing him would help....alot. if nothing else, it will lighten him on ur hands and not pull. also he will get the ORS installled into his brain. one thing with the ORS is, when u train it into them u won't need it coz the horse knows. i'll be getting my 6yo OTTB remouthed before i competehim coz he chucks a hissy fit and all i can do is sit there coz he's got no lateral mouth for a ORS so i'm getting it installed so i don't end up as XC road kill! hahahaha he will also be hobble trained coz he is a sh*t and paws, he also has BAD separation anxiety and would jump outta a yard if left to his own divices, so hobbles will stop him from getting too worked up.

honestly, i wouldn't take him, why not lease him out to an experienced rider to trail ride or ARC until u get back, and lease a horse for ur course that will be suitable. he needs a break to rest him tb mind :p

i hope u don't take offense to my comments and i wish u the best

14. norrishbex

norrishbex Well-known Member

My suggestions would be this: Get his legs checked out. Scans xrays, whatever. When you have to results and everything is ok, then I would be taking him right back to basics.

Forget about jumping, get him balanced, off the forehand and remouthed. Once you got that sorted, introduce 1 trot pole. Walk over it, trot over it whatever, but don't try anything more advanced until you can do the exercise consistantly without fail.

Once you can get him over a trot pole in any pace you want without having any hissy fits, then make the exercise more difficult. Add a 2nd pole, say 4 strides away. Ride though that until he is doing that prefectly. Don't jump the horse until you can go over a pole, or a series of poles. You gotta walk before you can run!

15. Teah

Teah New Member

Well I think the problem is mostly sorted (fingers crossed).

I honestly didn't disregard everyone's ideas! They were all fantastic and make entire sense but you all know, that if you spend a big whack of money that you worked ages to save for on a clinic then you want your moneys worth!!

I went to the Megan Jones clinic and he started off a bit naughty in the first lesson, so I did another lesson of show jumping instead of going cross country. And something literally just went click and he seemed to realise jumping wasn't hurting at all and got his confidence back. He's now jumping at his best ever.

He wasn't backing off or doing his weird massive jumps or flicking his back legs as flamboyantly as usual either. Was just jumping normally.

So naughty me jumped everything Megan suggested and Rosco just ate it up and my confidence and Rosco's confidence has just flourished. He was loving the course. So we did a couple of 1*. And he wasn't perfect. We did have some refusals on jumps we'd never tackled before (1* drop and the water jump) but we overcame them and got back to the job.

So now just to get over his bush riding issues :\.

16. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Ok, I haven't read all of this thread but did read something about someone not exactly liking the one rein stop and preferring to just hold against the horse and that he soon tires out and stops anyway. I've always worked on the theory that if you train a one rein stop you will never need a one rein stop.

On a horse that get's strong I would take them back to the yard and train the one rein stop until all you have to do is lightly pick up one rein, he flexes slightly and he stops, then take him out onto the cross country course and do exactly the same thing out there. Cruise around, quit riding and ORS, pop over a fence, quit riding ORS. Doesn't matter if you have to spiral them into it (ie start on a 50 metre circle and slowly circle them down). It's not a case of going 'OMG horse is getting strong' and ripping them into a tight circle, no, you do do it safely and if it takes 50 revolutions to get him to stop well it takes 50 revolutions to get him to stop because eventually it will take 40 revolutions and then 30 and then 20 and eventually down to one! Anyway, just my thoughts, I think it's one of the best things you can teach any horse because you just never really know when you might need it. Just my thoughts anyway. Sounds like you've got him sorted!

17. Teah

Teah New Member

It was me not liking it! I've done it a little bit with him lately just in the arena and he seems better? I think the bolting was just a phase of his. He's a different horse now weirdly enough. He didn't get strong at all at the clinic. Granted it wasn't a competition, and we didn't really get going but normally he'd get strong before that! I put a stronger bit on him but. He mustn't have like the french snaffle but was great with the sweet mouth so yeh?

18. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Errr.....you shouldn't be putting a stronger bit in....eventually he'll learn that he can be strong in the stronger bit & then you'll put in an even stronger one & the vicious circle begins.

19. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

**) Right on the money, took the words out of my mouth (well, I was waiting for someone else to say it!) Read a comment by a well known Aussie eventer saying after a terrible run cross country she deffinately needed to change bits as she needs more leverage as the horse is just running through what she's got. I was like :eek: are you serious?!?!?! #( That rider very quickly lost any resemblence of respect she had from me!

I've always been taught that if you need to go for a stronger bit then there's something missing in your training hence why I now ride my horse in a nice soft Myler with 04 (slight port for a bit of tongue relief) mouthpiece. Beautiful soft bit that he responds to well.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  20. Teah

Teah New Member

I'm a massive believer in this too. It's more finding a bit with an action that he accepts more. I went through all sorts of bits when I first got him (nothing severe. The sweetmouth is the harshest I've put on him). And he likes the sweetmouth best so I'll stick with it now. I've tried normal small snaffles, egg butt snaffles, french snaffles with large and small peanuts and straight bars and FMs and he definitely likes the sweetmouth the best. So I'll be sticking with it.