My New Theory .. Suggestions? :)

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Teah, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Teah

Teah New Member

Well my beautiful young Trosco and I have been having severe difficulties lately! I wouldn't say he's necessarily a problem horse but we are having problems! (WE) Not necessarily him!!

I've had him since April and he is just lovely. He's a 10yo thoroughbred with ... Issues.

Basically, our partnership is coming along well and he is just brimming with talent. And I entirely accept that a lot of our issues are me. And that I do tend to have a fair bit of bad luck haha.

It all started at Narrogin this year when he was VERY anxious going into xc. Reefing, doing small rears, trying to take off in the warm up. Got out of the box and he was perfect and we went clear.

Then he went lame in all 4 legs (protein/concussive laminitis? We can't figure it out and vets have looked at him) so he had time off.

Then we went to Fairbridge and he was a nutter going into sj and I retired. Didn't attempt xc.

Then he went lame in one front leg turned out to be an abscess.

Then we went to Murray and he reared big time in warm up and then bolted on xc and did the most massive jump over no 3 that you have ever seen so I retired.

Then we went to Serpentine and he was better in warm up but still a bit iffy then we got out there and everything was going lovely until jump 13 which was a drop, over a coffin then over a jump and he just freaked out over the coffin. Then we jumped a clear sj.

Have had him fully vet checked (again) to see if anythings wrong - Nothing is. Had bowen done, teeth done, changed his diet slowly etc. And nothings working.

So my new theory is that he's freaking out because we're moving to Geelong for a year so we had a heart to heart about it and I told him there's nothing to worry about but that's really not making a change.

So good old stockies, what're your theories!!

2. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

Ok I will have a go!!

Firstly I would say that at this point it does not appear that this horse is sound enough, or will stay sound long enough for you to be using him for this purpose.

Secondly.....What is his history and do you have any idea why these problems are occuring? Is he nervous/lacking confidence?

Are you having lessons with a good instructor?

3. Jessie_13

Jessie_13 Well-known Member

I think this is just a training, exposure and experience issue...When did he race to? what is his history? What is he like at home?

It seems to me that this will all boil down to education and experience...Perhaps, stop the eventing for now (off season anyway), its all too big and exciting. Take him out to a few show days and don't compete...Just let him take it all in, hop on him (with permission to ride on grounds) and just school him around, go for a walk, no jumping ...Then just maybe go out and do a few dressage days, hacking, may not be your thing, but this horse needs to learn to chill and relax when he is out, and perhaps so do you:))) Some 20km social rides maybe?

Then maybe introduce a few show jumping days and some xc training days...do some xc clinics over the break, basically expose him to as much as you can and teach him calm! teach the One Rein Stop, cause bolting is a no no! what height are you competing?! basically take him right back to basics, he will begin to realise that out and about doesn't mean crazy!

4. Teah

Teah New Member

Thanks for the reply!

Tell me about it! It's foot abscesses as far as the vets and I can tell. And concussive laminitis from hard ground at Narrogin maybe?? But we've had full flexion tests/xrays done and he is PERFECT I wouldn't have bought him otherwise.
    He raced until he was 6 (From memory) Won 1, placed in 3 (I think) total pool of just over $8000. Then started eventing. Has competed to prelim with prev owner. He is very confident and bold normally. As am I on him. Can be nervous when seperated from others.
    Don't get MANY lessons. But clinic with Megan jones next weekend and have had lessons with Sue Ellis and Graham Yuill and Gary Kenny.

5. Teah

Teah New Member

He raced to approx 6 - won 1 placed approx 3 total pool of just over $8000. Competed to prelim and have trained on him to 1* and sj'd up to approx 130cm (training).
    I'm honestly not just saying this but I am a very relaxed rider! I don't get nervous on him once we get going. And his mucking around never bothers me until it gets dangerous. I am a huge believer in never using the one rein stop. Rip it around one way and next thing you know is the back end comes underneath you and then you're in huge trouble! I've just been locking my knuckles into his neck and letting him pull against himself and he just gives up and I win!
    Was competing him prelim but took him back to intro 1. He started off perfect out and about but going xc at Narrogin I have no idea what went on??
    Huge problem with the not competing thing - We're moving to Geelong to go to uni and part of the course is you have to compete ...

6. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

I never used to be a believer of the ORS either, but it helped me so much in the beginning of re educating my latest TB. I rarely ever use it nowadays. It actually works better now as a calm down cue.

Maybe he doesn't like eventing anymore? Although, I suspect that he's not used to your style of riding. If he's already had the exposure, he's not sore then maybe you are the problem? Maybe get a trusted 'eyes on the ground' to watch you at events and at home see what the difference is.

Have regular lessons too, that way you nip any bad habits in the bud!

EDIT: No offence, just suggesting

7. Teah

Teah New Member

No offence taken :)!
    I was convinced that I was the problem! But now that a variety of people have seen me ride him at different events and at home and different places we can't figure out what it is. Have just got nooo idea.

8. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

It costs just as much to feed a good horse as a bad one :( If your horse is not suited temperament wise and is not sound enough to perform in the discipline that you compete in, maybe it is time to look for another horse';'

9. GoGo

GoGo Well-known Member

just a thought but have you had his feet angles looked at, maybe your farrier has him a bit flat on the heels. dont under estimate the problems that can come from something so simple.

10. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Perhaps a little over cooked !! I would slow down and reduce the ask. These problems can occur with any horse and although some can't be cured most can. You do not mention his home schooling in any detail so it is difficult to comment

11. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

Assuming nothing physical he's probably freaking out!
    He went from racing to eventing, with how much of a break? And how much re-educating in between? XC for an inexperienced horse is a huge ask - the rider is stressed, there's a lot of other horses zooming around and they have no idea what's going on.
    TBs tend to be generous, they will put up with a lot mentally until it's all too much then KAPOW. For a start, stop eventing! It's clear that going to more competitions isn't something he is comfortable with. What happens if you take him out somewhere and just walk quietly?
    I agree he sounds thoroughly overcooked.

12. CJR

CJR Well-known Member

I would be looking at his feet as well. Is he fully shod?

13. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I think you must be bloody dedicated to this horse to think about taking him to another state when he can't even complete an event for you :(

14. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

As you have said he is experienced to prelim, could it be that the issues ha had with soundness for a while have put him off? Perhaps his initial narky behaviour was about the soreness starting and it got worse as you pushed him thru it, not knowing that he was sore?

If he is feeling out of sorts from pain, and from what my sis, who does pri st george dressage and is very experienced, horses have "remembered pain" even more than us humans.

Maybe he needs taking back to basics and then gradually building him back up from flat work and poles on the ground/cavaletti to the jumps at the height you are on now. You have the off season to play with, so why not break it down, rebuild his trust and then see how you go next season.....?

You could even mix in a little horsemanship ground work of any flavour that speaks to you, just to work on that trust relationship and see what happens.

Just some of my thoughts.... hope that helps :)*

15. Teah

Teah New Member

Goodie that's so true- Unfortunately though I do not have funds atm with moving to Geelong!!
    His feet are flat - typical thoroughbred - and my farrier checks the angles regularly and he cold shoes him and uses techniques to stand him up more.
    Overcooked? Not really sure what you mean haha. Home schooling wise I do a lot of dressage work as I don't have access to juimps. He's not arena sour at all and when I do go out the bush he needs to be kept off the track as he is very clingy to other horses!

16. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

Overcooked = brain fried.
    OK, if you don't have access to jumps, how do you school for XC?
    And if he's clingy, maybe that's why he goes off when you compete? A lot of horses that like arena work are a little agoraphobic if you will, they like routine and the company of other horses and nice small enclosed spaces. Not zooming cross country on their own with no idea what's going on. Maybe he's trying to tell you that he's not that sold on eventing so far??
    I am not trying to tear you apart here but if you make some training changes you might end up with a much happier/more compliant horse.

17. Teah

Teah New Member

Thanks for that :).
    Sorry I meant I don't have access to showjumps. I jump logs and drops out the bush and take him swimming in the river and what not. And I have a coffin and a water jump that I made but the water jump never has water. Water doesn't phase him either.
    He's mostly fine once he gets going and isn't clingy once he is going? And at Serpentine I took him away from all of the horses and did some dressage warm up and that was on a massive oval and he was fine then??

18. Teah

Teah New Member

Sorry I didn't see this one!
    He's 10 and I honestly have no clue about the break and re educating.
    If we go out somewhere and walk quietly then bam we get a hissy.
    The really frustrating thing about the situation is that he's been eventing for 2 years and with the course at uni I got into it's a condition that you must compete.

19. Teah

Teah New Member

Sadly I do love him to bits. He can be the nicest horse when he wants to be and more talent than you can ever imagine. Plus there's no money there to get a new horse with!!

20. Teah

Teah New Member

This is the approach I have been taking :) I dropped him back to intro to give that a go and had him checked by the vets to see if there was something I was missing and nothing there. Training wise he won't refuse anything and in my lesson about 2 weeks ago he was comfortably, happily and willingly popping over about 1.05m and he did a nice clear sj at serpy.
    Ah horses-So difficult sometimes!
    Yeh I was thinking this but apart from 1 hoof abscess we can't figure out why he would be sore? So frusrtating!!