My new girl needs a name!

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Troppo, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Hi guys,

I managed to pick up an amazing QH x ASH 3yo filly from a not so horsey friend of mine. She is just wasting away in his paddock, and seems to be making a habit of escaping (he has a couple of strands of electric wire around the yard but its usually off). So he asked if I wanted her - as he knows I would give her a good home so after some puppy dog eyes to the OH she is on her way here as soon as we can get her float trained and started. We have been working with her all week to get her under saddle. So far we are at saddle is on stage and long reining, she has mastered turning, stopping and leads with no trouble, she is just so obliging and sweet and Lee has been wonderful starting her and teaching me what he is doing and why. Tomorrow we tackle the riding!

Here are some pics!

hmm I wonder whats on the agenda for today
    http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh128/radavison/?action=view&current=LeesCamera648.jpg[IMG]

first ever saddle - not so sure about it
    [IMG]http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh128/radavison/?action=view&current=LeesCamera651.jpg

phew that wasn't so hard
    [​IMG]

although I think she looks a bit devillish in the last one.

She doesn't have a name - her ma's name is Milly, and she has been called 'Milly's filly' all her life so I think she needs a new one

I was thinking Matilda or Tilly for short? Kinda sticks with the theme? What do you guys think?

2. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

bugger I did it again with the links and not the pics in the post???

3. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

4. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

tilly is a good name, short for matilda, you could name her waltzing matilda or something hehe

5. Waltzing Matilda is a great name! Suits her :)

6. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Yep I think its going to stick! :p

7. naughtydog63

naughtydog63 Well-known Member

If you don't like tilly for short, could go with madi! Matilda, madi... Sounds the same for me :) She's a totally cutie btw!!

8. bubblez

she is gorgeous!!! :) good luck with her and make sure that you keep us updated!!! :D

9. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

I sure will.

I will try to get some pics of the first ride tomorrow. Apparently she is doing really well (according to Lee, I have never had any breakers to compare her to).

It sounds corny but its kind of like its meant to be. When Brad said he wanted to give her away and I went and saw her she was so sweet, I thought - but what am I going to do with her - I don't have the time to train a youngster? And then Lee showed up, I have known him a while, he has been back in his home state of NSW for the last year however. He said he needed a place to stay, and I needed a horse started and whalah! Lee is going to ride her for a good six weeks or so - to get the miles up as he says- and then he will be around to help out with her.

She has been barely handled up until now and she has taken it all in her stride. Lee has been handling horses since he could walk, and trains horses for a living back home. He is really impressed with her!

I don't want to put her in polocrosse for a few years yet, but I will take her out to a few shows and see how we go! The next few months she will be mustering to get her used to cattle as well, so we may have a future in campdrafting - who knows!

10. Tic Tac

Tic Tac Well-known Member

It is a great NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. bubblez

aww thats awesome!!! :D so lovely

12. Monckey Madness

Monckey Madness Active Member

lovely name Tilly, aww she's gorgeous:)* :)

13. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

Matilda is a perfect name for her, she looks lovely! Good on you! Sometimes the ones that just come to us by chance are actually meant to be =)

14. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

shes gorgeous!!!

hope you guys have loads of fun :)

(tilly sounds like a gorgeous name)

15. Fiestymama08

Fiestymama08 Well-known Member

What a gorgeous looking mare!!!**) **) The name really suits her too....very sweet. :D @)