My first new horse...a bucker?

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Rayes, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rayes

Rayes New Member

Hi All,

I recently bought my first new horse (previous horses had been inherited or bought by my parents) and the first time I tried to ride him, he bucked me off 3 times (why did I get back on?).

According to the previous owner (and mutual friends), he had never done anything like this before.

So, I got the chiropractor out and yes, he was sore (all over!) and no, my saddle didn't fit him. So he received treatment and today I sat on him (bareback) again and he was fine. However, I did not apply any pressure with my legs as this was where the trouble all started before. I did, however, put pressure on with my hand in the same position as where my calves would have done and he jumped. So now, the chiro is coming out again.

My question is, when is enough, enough? And how do I know he's not just a bucker (and rearer!). He has been quite agitated since I brought him home. He walks through electric fences (whether they are on or not), chases my old horse around the paddock for no specific reason and attack everything in sight (feed buckets, dressage markers, electric fence units).

Is he just not the horse for me?

Thanks,
    Rayles

2. amber sunday

amber sunday Well-known Member

did he do it when you rode him to try him out?

3. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

He sounds like he's a very challenging horse. Yep, get him checked again and see if he is still in pain.

What was he like when you saw him being ridden, or when you rode him pre-purchase?

If he had a poorly fitting saddle and had soreness, then maybe he jumped again because he was anticipating pain? I'd do some groundwork and/or lunging so he can build confidence in you and to give him a bit of time to realise that you wont cause him any more pain.

If this has dented your confidence, get an experienced rider/educator to have a ride and see what they think/feel. If your horse is ok, then try starting off slowly with lots of lessons.

Remember that your safety is paramount and no horse is worth getting hurt over. Stay safe and always ride supervised until you get to know your horse.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  4. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

just humor me with these questions if you dont mind because some people get narky and dont understand where im coming from

did you try the horse before you bought him?
    how much is this horse supposed to have done?
    how old is the horse?
    how long have you been riding and what sort of horse?

my sisters horse after id ridden him a few times (as she didnt know he was her bday present so i rode him to keep him active but she thought i was riding him because a friend asked me) well on one ocassion out of the blue i hopped on and barely had my bum in the saddle when he went bananas. rodeo bucking and leaping towards the fence which he tried to go through. i managed to pull him around towards the middle of the arena and her bucked again (i have no stirrups and long reins) so i went splat. hes never done something that extreme since but he still still sticks his back up and it took me over a year for me to get back on him and over a months training before anybody else got on him. i rode him a little bit this year until i stacked it jumping and havent ridden him since.

might be a weird situation like that. he got sent away and sacked out with tarps, streemers and plasitc bags on whips where the rider would sit. the trainer and us beleive he didnt like a person being over the top of him and doesnt like being grabbed if hes loose. he still doesnt like me though

5. Rayes

Rayes New Member

Hi All,

The most the horse did when I tried him out were 2 little pigroots...I figured they were due to the fact that he hadn't been ridden for a year previously.

The horse has really only done trailriding (which is specifically what I bought him for). He is 11 in December and a quarter horse. I have been riding all my life (since I was 3, I am now 29).

His last rider was a yahoo cowboy sort...perhaps I will never be able to calm him down?

There's another question of how much time and money do I want to waste on a horse I bought for trailriding?

Regards,
    Rayles

6. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

ok cool so you have been around horses alot and are older than some of the littlies on here so imo advice is different.

id suggest unless you are scared to ride him now that ground work and lunging would be a good start.
    with a saddle on and stirrups loose but tied to the girth so dont wave to much.

if he doesnt buck or both with that then its probably the pressure on his side or not liking someone over his head.

then id go with getting him to move off pressure on his sides (where your legs would be) if he reacts to that then its probably a sensitivity to the aids that you can work on numbing the sensitivity on the ground so he doesnt flip out when you put your leg on when you ride him next.

if its not that then maybe send him away or lunge him with whips or small sticks tied where the stirrups hang so that the bags are level with where a persons head would be when riding.

if he isnt bothered by that then i say he wouldnt mind you being up there.

7. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

when you first get a new horse it ca take a long time to get the relationship happening that you would like. For example I got my mare almost a year ago. (A year on the 17th) it has taken a long time to get our issues sorted out.

She was a brood mare for 4 years and had just a few rides under her belt since then.
    So issues we faced were saddle fit(her shape has changed so much that she has had three saddle fitting changes becasue of her build changing)
    Not wanting to work for long under saddle (I think that was a fitness issue that took a while to work out how much work she likes and enjoys and it is not the everyday ride that I was hoping for, That may coem with time)
    Fear that she was going to be beaten (she has scars on her sides and rump that I assume are from whips as she is terrified of them)
    Pain caused by the changes to saddle fit caused by shape change.

So things I would look for from this horse is saddle fit.
    The pain may be caused by a slip in the paddock or float and that may have caused the change in behaviour.
    Once you have eliminated pain as an issue and saddle fit as an issue then do some join up work and see how the horse behaves. If it is still bucking check teeth.
    Then if all elsehas failed check out monty roberts website for his suggestions re bucking. They really work

8. Paddys girl

Paddys girl Well-known Member

did the owner ride him for you before you tried him??

Sounds like he certainly isn't what was advertised - I would be trying to take him back.

btw soreness / pour saddle fit are not excuses for outright bucking like that

9. sil

sil Gold Member

Send him back - the horse sounds like a dud.

10. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Agreed its not worth the hassle

11. megan

megan Well-known Member

he sounds dangerous. i would be sending him back

12. Tez 80

Tez 80 New Member

I had a similar experience although not bucking,just rearing whenever he didn't want to do anything and same thing wrecking everything in sight and attacking my other horse.I persisted with the help of a great trainer but in the end I had to sell him,as I was loosing confidence.You will find the right horse for you,but this one doesn't sound like he is for you.Riding is supposed to be fun,not a battle,so if your not having fun with him,he should go.

13. Tails

Tails New Member

The fact that you are even questioning yourself and the horse should answer your question for you. Only my opinion. Makes me wonder why he was sold in the first place. Too much to handle maybe#(

14. Rayes

Rayes New Member

Cody

Unfortunately sending him back does not appear to be an option - the ex-owners have flat out refused and blamed me for all the horse's problems and pain-related issues. The chiro seems to think he is a nice horse and said I need to 'bond' with him.

So, now the options I have approached are getting the chiropractor out again and I have signed up for a horsemanship clinic - more bloody money!

Oh, and yes the owner did ride him for a short amount of time before I got on him.

Thanks for all your suggestions,
    Rayles

15. sil

sil Gold Member

Rayles don't take that as an answer - if the horse is not suitable then you have EVERY option to return it. Contact fair trading for more info!

You bought him for trail riding and you can't do that. The sellers saying 'no we won't take him back' isn't a defense against selling you an unsuitable horse.

16. megan

megan Well-known Member

i agree contact fair trading and go from there people need to stop selling horses that are not suited and think they can get away with it

17. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Thats exactly right. So if the horse continues to do what he's doing what will you do?.....Sell him on?

Then its YOUR responsibility for selling a horse that someone is going to have trouble with....I mean are you going to confidently ride him around to show a prospective new owner? Are you prepared to take the responsibility for selling on a dud to someone else? What if they are injured?

If the horse was misrepresented and he is not suitable for you, you MUST take action NOW.
    You have a few options:
    1) Take the horse back and demand your money back. Fight it if necessary.
    2) Spend big training dollars trying to get the horse to be the one you thought you bought. And most likely not be happy after that and sell anyway.
    3) Dog it
    4) Re-sell it to some other person a) Honestly disclosing its problems b) Keeping quiet about them.

A bucking horse is a dangerous horse. A bucking horse in the hands of a novice is doubly dangerous.

You were obviously too quick to part with your money, and now they are running with it.

The lesson here is: Be VERY careful buying horses, trial them and be certain you are getting what you are paying for.

Unfortunately, 99% of people keep their problem horses, they think that time and training will turn them into the mount they need and want. Sadly, only a few turn into that mount with work, time and money. The others continue to be a disaster, cause injury to themselves or their owner, and end up in less than devoted homes.

No joy here, sorry, unless you can get your money back and shop with someone reputable.

18. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Hi Rayes sorry to hear about your new horse
    I would give him a chance especially since you said its been a year since he has been ridden,(and been in the same place for that long also) that is a long time out an he maybe be struggling with having to be a people horse again instead of doing what he liked when he liked out in the paddock, maybe starting from scratch with ground work, handling, lunging and getting a routine going might settle him down a bit and you might get to know each other a bit more.
    are you sure there is no injury to his rib area? maybe a more closer feel to make sure
    Anyway good luck with him

19. sherreem

sherreem Well-known Member

someone telling me that it has been a year since a horse has been ridden would of set off alarm bells straight away.

why hadnt he been ridden in that year. how long did the seller ride him to show you him.

how long did you ride him and what did you ask of him when you rode him.
    how many times did you go and ride him.

think this could be just another horse that has been ruined by a yahoo rider. i edited this post as i had sad another dud horse but that was being unfair to the horse.

20. sparkie

sparkie Well-known Member

i recon he is a great challenge for you obviously something in him clicked with you that is why you bought him...work him out help him with his issue and then see the relationship grow stronger and stronger...why is he a dud just because he has issues and decides to express it...my POV is he sounds like a great character imagine what he will be like when he is out of pain and being himself again...like you say the previous owner mustve been a hoon and didnt take consideration with his pain etc be diferent TAKE CONSIDERATION to your horses pain and issues and you will find something in him you wouldnt have thought he be....have fun with this guy ...!!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.