mum friendly prams!!

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by horsestarter, Dec 16, 2010.

1. horsestarter

horsestarter New Member

just wondering what kind of prams people would suggest for using around horses??
    something that can get through the sand, wont tip easy and are not hard to fold up and put in the car etc

is there any other bit of equipment that have made your life easier when wrangling horses and children?? :)

thanks in advance

2. cow_chasin_horses

cow_chasin_horses Well-known Member

hmmm i have a valco they are expensive like 700 bucks or something but they are worth it lol karli goes 4wd in the paddock all the time with the horses and everything lol or should i say 3wding lol as it is on 3 wheel things and they are really really light and easy to fold up and out and very user friendly for idiots like me lol

3. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

**)**)**) i used to have one of these quite a few years ago!!
    Very Good

4. cow_chasin_horses

cow_chasin_horses Well-known Member

they are so EASY !!! lol fold them up nice and easy then when you want to open it up just grab the handle and flick it up and bam your pram is open and ready to use ... well after you clip the two thingys down to hold it toghether even though it has a saftey thing that you physically have to move with your hand to close it back down again :)

5. Wildwood

Wildwood Well-known Member

I have a Baby Jogger City Elite.
    It's a 3 wheeler and very good at going through the horse paddocks and so so so easy to fold up it's amazing!

6. horsestarter

horsestarter New Member

thanks everyone for the info :)
    just realised its not really all that far away till im due!! and knowing my luck its not going to arrive on time!! so i had better got my act together and organised a pram etc

7. Ozzies_Girl

Ozzies_Girl Well-known Member

I have the strider plus and its perfect!
    Can seat a baby, a toddler or a baby and a toddler or two toddlers. Both seats sit up and both lay down, both have individual sun shades. The main seat is reversable so you can move it if the sun is in babys eyes. I can't remember what the proper name is for them, but it has the hard non-pumping tyres, I had one with pump up tyres and ended up ditching it because I would get a flat every week. For me the selling point was the toddler seat, I looked at nearly every type of pram that could seat a baby and a toddler and this was definatly my favourite. I could easily fold it up and put it in my boot right up to the 40 week pregnant mark.

Edited to say: The only downside I've found to this pram is its width, you can't get it through all checkouts, sometimes you have to use the extra width one, this didn't phase me because it was a pram for two and all other options were wither too long or a side by side that still wouldnt fit.

Here's a link
    Strider Plus Pram Stroller - Steelcraft Britax

8. deelee

deelee Well-known Member

I second the strider plus. Mine goes through the paddocks not a worry, through sand when out walking etc. It is like the 4x4 of prams :)

9. Happypaint

Happypaint Well-known Member

I have my dear old Emaljunga that has seen me through the 3 boys and now my daughter. It has the big wheels for going through the sand and big basket underneath that I load heaps of gear into. It has never let me down. You can pick up really good second hand ones on evilbay **)

10. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

I've got a steelcraft strider 3 wheeler as well, great for round the property but must admit i got a stroller for outings cause the strider is too wide and heavy.

A must have for a horsy mum is a trolley that can be pulled whilst pushing a pram LOL! Wheelbarrow has become defunct these days!

Best of luck with your impending new arrival :)

11. Mater

Mater Well-known Member

A back pack. I have one called an Ergo and it does from newborn right up to 20kgs.
    It was my lifesaver when my boy was little. I did everything with him in there. Feeding, mucking out, grooming, lunging, taking kids for leadline walk, fencing, and I even mouthed the pony in the round yard with baby on my back.

I did have a pram but it was frustrating not having two hands to carry stuff, and there were alot of areas I couldn't take it (like up the rock covered hill).

It was a shame when he decided he didn't want to sit in the backpack anymore and wanted to get out and run around, because now I hardly spend any time with the horses (he won't sit in a pram either).

12. thebobstar

thebobstar Active Member

i have one that is an awsome paddock pram its a large 4 wheeler its a bernini bootqi. mine never made it to the paddocks lol.
    im selling it so if you are intrested let me know its only a year old and in excellent nick

13. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

LOL! The mental picture!!!!
    A backpack is the way to go when they are very little. Just don't do the sling in the front - babies tend not to stay in them when you bend over to muck out!!!! And yes, I am speaking from experience.
    Prams in paddocks scare me, as do little children in paddocks. They are just at the right height for a kick in the head.:( BUT, I know it has to be done, so I used an old steelcraft with big wheels.
    And, I know how hard it is to keep them in a pram or a shopping trolley for that matter. I once had an old lady tell me off at the shopping centre because my 2 year old was happily climbing on the pram as opposed to screaming whist sitting nicely and being strapped in. I did tell the old lady that if she wanted to try and strap him in, to go right ahead. I was happy to stand and watch. She didn't take me up on the offer!!!!:D

14. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

I totally agree with the prams in paddocks erilyn, trick is to make sure you put it where the horses cannot get to it. My property has a laneway system ie all the paddocks open up onto the driveway so i leave him out there if hubby isnt home to supervise while i do horsy stuff. I didnt do the backpack thing as my back wouldnt hold up to it, but it is a very good idea until they get too big.

Lol at your old lady experience!

15. NorWester

NorWester Well-known Member

I have an emmaljunga and there is no way for the price i paid, would i take mine to the stables....

I went and brought a second hand 3 wheeler steelcraft that has bicycle tyres (no joke they are huge) it cost me $10 at a garage sale and i can take it up and down the beach no problems. Dont have to worry about the dirt getting in to the wheels and the rubble collecting underneath. It is fantastic.

16. deelee

deelee Well-known Member

I second the Ergo, forgot about that! I have one. I'm yet to master wearing DD on the back, but once I do I'll able to go out and visit my boy and bring her with me.

I love mine, I use it all the time. I use it when I do the shopping, vacuuming, hanging the washing out.

17. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Babygro sling when tiny - but yes you do have to watch they don't fall out! All that squatting instead of bending is better for your poor stretched core muscles anyway...
    Back pack as they get bigger.

18. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

Yeah, I agree about squatting not bending, but you kinda fall into old habits!!!! Anyway, can't have done her much harm (falling on her head a few times before I learnt my lesson), she is doing me very proud now!:D

19. RustyRidge Clydesdales

RustyRidge Clydesdales Well-known Member

I have a bertini, it cost me over $1000 with the toddler seat etc. It is by far the best pram i have come accross it has 4 wheel steer,suspension,5 point harness (race car),solid tyres and so many more features. I dont have any issues pushing it around the farm, and it is a lime green colour ;) Only down fall is no storage space. Had the strider hated the width!

20. Fe

Fe Well-known Member

I have a phil a Ted. Its great out in the paddock.. The only problem is that it can be a bit heavy to lift.