Moving the entire float and car

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Leon, Feb 13, 2013.

1. barragirl

barragirl Active Member

A cheap way of making inside of wooden floats more inviting is to paint interior white. This helped one of my horses, cheap and worth a go.

2. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Thank you everyone.. havent been able to get on here for awhile.

The interior of the float's roof and sides are painted white but not the side boards.

I have adjusted his diet and he is more settled even standing at the tie up bay at home. I havent floated him again though but will be tomorrow for a trip to the beach, will let you all know how I go!

Seems I could have a feed sensitive red head.. I have had him for 3 years but still learning as the new chapter of being under saddle is showing more things about him that I need work out and adjust, feed being one of them. Didnt matter so much before when he was just sitting in the paddock.

So I am trying this first to see if pent up energy is a cause.

3. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

So does he paw while standing in the wash bay? This is what he does in the float??

4. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Sorry NG that I missed your question!

He does occasionally paw in the tie up bay but very,very rarely, nothing like what he does in the float.

He is more of a fidget in the tie up bay, not willing to stand still for a long time however that has been on an improve lately and the last several times he has just stood there.

This morning was 'slightly' better. Travelled very well and when stopped at stop lights I think I heard him paw once but it was when we stopped at our destination that is when its the worst.

I just waited till he had stopped before I got him out but still came rushing out the float in a great rate of knots. Again when we got home he moved around a bit but again I waited for him to stop and then got him out. Again he rushed out of the float.

When I told my non horsey OH he said 'he just wants to get out'.. well I think as simple as that is I think that is what it is! Now just to see how and if it can be corrected and if in fact that is what is bothering him.

5. madison

madison Well-known Member

Steve Brady has a very good exercise for this where everytime the horse rushes off the float you put them back on until they learn to stay there until asked to unload

6. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Yes, if he rushes off, put him straight back on.
    Repeat repeat repeat until he stands and waits until you ASK him to come off.

It might take a while to sink in, but make it as boring as you can.

I reloaded my mare 3 times when I got to my lesson yesty because she came off unasked as there were horses in action and whinnying. No excuse.

She does not move back even if that bum bar is undone until she is ASKED or she goes straight back on.

7. madison

madison Well-known Member

Absolutely Nannygoat that's what I do and I stick with it no matter what or she turns into a super b---h again. PS if I allow her to start running off the float her travelling starts to get really bad again

8. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

I will admit to being naughty and have not being doing this lately :eek:

I normally did but have gotten lazy which is the worst thing I can do. Will give myself a kick up the behind and be doing this from now on.

I slowing stopped doing it when we had the loading issue. I was just so relieved that I got him on the float in the first place that I didnt do the on/off thing for awhile. Especially at a show as it would take half hour to get him on so I sure as *** wasnt taking him off!

Mistake though. Ahhh these guys keep you humble dont they. Thanks stockies- will be doing this from now on and not letting myself be pressured by time to not do it.

9. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

When I had to do some float training with my boy I started off just at home loading and unloading. Then proceeded to driving around the block, coming home and unloading/loading. Then went around the corner to a friends house and unloading/loading (so if he really played up I could walk him home if need be :p ). Then to darling downs. And then finally to a show. The pressure of a show is enough to send any horse and owners training backwards.

I only worked this out after I did the same as you though, and went straight to a show and was so happy I got him on I'd just shut up shop and head for the hills. Made everything worse and blew my sensitive horse's brain apart hahah

10. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Took another angle on it over the weekend. Put him on my friends float, very big front window and high roof.

He actually scrambled when he was on the right side even when the float was moving straight and going so very slow. So on the way home we put him on the left (which is where I normally put him) and he didnt scrambled.

Was much better when we stopped as well, moved a little bit but nothing like what he does in my float. He still seems slightly anxious but not like he is with my float. Sighh.... no idea what to do next as I cant exactly go out and purchase a new float for him.

Curious to try him in an angle float one day to see if he is more stable in one.

11. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Have you tried him in yours with the divider tied to one side so he can angle himself ?
    Apologies if you're already answered that one earlier in the thread. *#)
    If you think he likes a bigger window, which many do, you could always have the ones in your float made bigger or an extra one put in the door or nearby.

12. sollywolly

sollywolly Well-known Member

See if you can get him self loading. I know he goes on pretty well now with you on part way up, but if he learns to self load he may get more confidence in himself to be in the float by himself. He trusts you enough to go on when you are there but when you leave he isn't sure about it by himself. Teach him that he can do it by himself and that he will survive.
    You can't change floats so make him comfortable in yours. It may take a bit to get him self loading comfortably but he will soon be running up the float ;)

13. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

THis^^^^

You say he did not do it while with the trainer, and he did not do it on the trip home from the trainer, because he had received a few weeks hard work and was nice and settled.

I would bet money on it, if you were to work him consistantly for three or four weeks....I mean really wet saddleblankets (and especially if they got wet from actually going somewhere), and your handling was such that he was really nice and respectful, soft and compliant, then the next time you travelled him he would make the most of having the opportunity to just rest in the float.

Sounds like a young horse, that is impatient and full of life.

All of the above, plus some long sessions just parked in the float waiting for him to learn manners and patience.

Gotta love the young ones!**)

14. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

ZaZa- I havent tried it but that is what I am trying the next time he is loaded in my float, just have to work out how to secure the bum bars together safely.

Modifying the windows is a great idea, it's a wooden float so we can pull sections out and put larger windows in. That is something I will definately look into, thanks**) On the subject of modifying it maybe I can open the sides up too- so good having a handy OH!

SW- more practise is needed on the self loading. He is almost there but as you said still requires me to stand half way up, maybe we could do another session this arvo if times permits :D

Thanks Deb- yes got to love the young ones, even better when they are a red head as well I am finding. It's funny isnt it, I have had many OTTB and have found they have less issues then what my blank canvas youngster does... the joys:eek:

He is being worked 4 times a week but nothing like the 6 times a week that he was at the breakers. Unfortunately that is his workload so he will have to adjust. I think it's a bit of impatience but also nerves/confidence as well.

15. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

You say hes been leg restraint trained but has he been hobbled in the float?

16. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

Also, 99% of scramblers are better in an angle or side load float or truck.

17. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

He is hobble trained but hasnt been hobbled in the float, I am in touch with his breaker at the moment who advises not to hobble in the float (in this case anyway).

I would love to try an angle CI but no one I know owns one to borrow! Going to try the centre divider across next time.

18. Lily

Lily Well-known Member

Leon I feel your pain, I have had similar problems with one of my horses and have, with time taken him from a horse that took 2 - 3 people to load, to one that confidently self loads, and I can stop him halfway coming down the ramp. He is still anxious in the float and trembles and sweats sometimes, I have tried everything you tried and double that again...

There was no single answer, it was a few things combined, and I was in the same situation, my float was not ideal, mine is a bit tight for him particularly in the neck/head area, but I was not in a position to replace it, and loaning other floats gave inconcistent results. Lucky for me Magic Senior has decided to buy himself a brand new float, nice a big, but as he does not actually own a horse, well, I get to use it when it has been finished and delivered in around 4 weeks time!!

One thing I did find is that when he was worst in the float, dancing around and digging before I even had the ramp up, it turned out he had a nasty case hindgut acidosis, which was an offshoot from having ulcers. Floating caused anxiety, which caused the acid to rise, rising acid hurts, so the moment he was on board, he was not happy jan and I dont blame him now I know what was going on. It's a left of centre idea, but it wasn't that complicated to treat and resolve and the difference was a relaxed horse that stood still on the washbay suddenly, didnt fiddle around being saddled up, happy to be bridled finally, and a heck of a lot easier to float...

If you want to chat about it, feel free to drop me a line, or chat when I see you at Lauren's Magic Party!

Good luck, I hope you can sort it out.

19. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Thanks Magic- the ulcer idea could definately be a cause as well. What type of float are you getting?

Bit of an update- it went from bad to worse... tried the centre divider over with no luck unfortunately. He travelled very well to the beach but again when we stopped the banging and crashing started.

I now have him loading without me, I stand to the side of the ramp and he goes up himself. At the beach I just waited till he stopped banging before I took him off.. Again unloaded at a rate of knots so I loaded and unloaded him several times for about 20mins till he was more relaxed and unloading slowly.

The trip home wasnt great and it wasnt really his fault. Of all the horses it had to happen to him. Was just going along straight when my worse nightmare came true and he came down in the float. I stopped and got to him quickly and luckly he had gotten himself up again.

A piece of rubber from the tailgate had come loose and touched his back legs, this caused him to go ballistic and come down. I got him off, managed to patch the rubber back on for the trip home. He destroyed a bum bar and a few chunks of hair off his back leg to go with it. Thank god he loaded again!

So a bit scary for both him and me. I am no longer going to put him in my float, he doesnt like it and it's not getting any better no matter what I try. He use to float half decent (wouldnt say great) when there was another horse with him but I dont have another horse now to go with him everywhere.

I have pretty much run out of ideas, I will be selling my float and from now on hiring a float if I need to go anywhere- one with a large window and very open. Only time will tell if he is actually better in those types of floats.

20. Lily

Lily Well-known Member

Leon, sounds like a nightmare... you poor thing!

I am getting my float made in WA by Rob O'Neill who just bought the Kalpakoff suspension system and designs. His new business name is Izz-Wil-Cal, he hasnt taken the Kalpakoff name on (dont know which one is easier to say lol...). My friend and I are his first new float customers and he is doing an amazing job of dealing with a long list of requests from us both as he is totally custom making them, they will be quite unique in their custom-built-ness (is that a word?). Mine is a straight load on an angle load base, so extra wide, and I will be able to remove the centre divider and allow Fanty to choose if he stands straight or angled which I hope allows him to relieve a bit of his anxiety.

See you tomorrow.**) (I have your stock ready)