Moving from unofficial to official

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by blondeshowjumper, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Cav

Cav Gold Member

So with that THEORY Luke and other comments that have been made, would we be safe to assume that you would have still won runner up HOTY on george if...(and Im going to use you as an example because I know you put hours into working that horse, the gear you bought was top quality and your presentation immaculate)....

1. you were riding in a wintec saddle
    2. your horse was wearing cheap indian leather bridle
    3. you were wearing synthetic boots (shock horror)
    4. your horses breastplate was a huge cheap one
    5. your numnah hung 5 inches over the edge of the saddle...all the way around

???????????

2. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

I bought one of these from bargain bin at Horseland - Each time I used it it grew a mile - now it might fit an elephant !! It wont fit my 17hh jug head w/b !!

3. Cassy Horse

Cassy Horse Well-known Member

Prior to my 10 year break from riding I came from a very fashion forward stables and although we didn't have the money the stable owners had, as long as you had the taste there are ways and means of getting around the $$ factor (borrowing handy too if you know the right people!). HOWEVER, there are certain things you don't want to scrimp on, like the fleecy numnah is a dead giveaway, the helmet, and making sure everything fits well, that is the main thing. And if you've got to wear gaitors if you can't afford top boots or are still growing, make sure they fit properly ie snug, no pain no gain!:p

Second hand buying is excellent but you've got to know what you are looking for.

Unfortunately money cannot buy taste and sometimes people do lack that!

I had my Wagners bridle for my main showhorse and the other poor TB had a indian leather bridle but we oiled it heaps, it fitted her well and was a nice style, and we added some plaiting to the leather reins to make it look that little bit nicer. I have to say it certainly wasn't as nice as the Wagners and didn't last.

It's all about the picture in showing, that is everything! And often that means feeling like you are in a straightjacket with no feeling in your legs but my motto in showing is if you look good you feel great!!!!! Who cares if the horse goes like shite haha*#)

4. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Oh and I want to throw a spanner in the works. How come our male competitors always seem to bring home the bacon? Maybe a bit of gender bias from the judges????

just to stir the pot a bit more LOL

5. Que Sera Sera

LOL. Thats OK, due to TEE, work, baby, L plates we have had no time to show this year, so it will last me a while longer. Plus I should have some spare cash by the end of the year, so will finally get around to having one made for him. I just cant buy off the rack, he has that triangular head, thats pretty but all over the place sizing wise.

6. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

If it is a large triangle (Very large ) i have one you can have !!!

7. Que Sera Sera

PMSL no, he is a small triangle head. You know the one, full brow, cob length and pony nose. Takes 3 bridles just to make one that fits him hehehe

8. Remaani

Remaani Guest

So should i be laughing i paid next to nothing for a Wagners number holder - not once but twice! :p
    $5 for the first one at Mundi Auctions few years back & then someone offered me good $$ for it.
    The other was only 3 weeks ago, $15!

Both are in immaculate condition, the leather is amazing. ;)

9. Cav

Cav Gold Member

B*tch!!! :) you got awesome bargains on those!!! LOL!!!:)*

Bias towards competitors......(male or female)....now there is a wholllllle other story QSS!!! :))

10. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

Definitely not, just saying that there are cheaper options, like instead of buying top boots could of had gaiters etc

There are always ways of doing things on the cheap. :)

11. Cav

Cav Gold Member

......as long as you know what you are looking for and where to look for the bargains :)*

We seem to be repeating ourselves now :) Perhaps we should start a new discussion! ;)

12. Can I add. I think dark brown gear would look better then black gear. The KNs and Caprillis are nice ;) But HEY thats just what I like haha BROWNS THE NEW BLACK :))

13. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

mm i agree- brown for this horse... brown for pretty much everything except black on blacks

14. amen on that stuff!!!

15. Yes I agree. My little man in my avatar will def have brown gear when hes broken in march. Blacks too harsh.
    I would even choose dark brown on a black :)

16. MIGHT I ALSO ADD -

i think everyone scared this poor girl from OFFICIAL hacking.
    Not gonna lie..this is what its really like haha *#)

17. Remaani

Remaani Guest

:p
    The one from Mundi, i looked at the stamp on the back & was like.... "you little beauty", handed my $5 over & shut my mouth! *#)
    Same as the one recently, $15 for that, & also picked up a Dick Wicks magnetic rug for $80 that hasn't been used! LOL.

18. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Hopefully we havent scared her off but perhaps given her a lot to think about, and the same goes for anyone wanting to enter this discipline. Its a lot of effort and money (even if you do get a second hand bargain) to go to if the only reward you get is to go in round and out at every single show you enter, disappointing and plays on the emotions and is not worth the stress. In saying that, the rewards at the end of the day are only ribbons.....really...its not like we are playing for millions!

Totally agree with brown gear, I love it and thats all I use on my ponies although I did use black on my bay warmblood over 10 years ago because my parents gave me a Peter Horribin dressage saddle for my birthday which was black so naturally I had to stick with it and it suited her.

19. Cav

Cav Gold Member

And what is this "mundi"?? I am keen to explore this avenue of bargain hunting! :):)):)*

20. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Mundijong Auctions Cav.

You know i did Official Hacking once :D, Andy x TB gelding whom prefered to remember his Elcaballo days, plaits were shocking, rode him in a dutch gag (LOL), jumping saddle LOL... when York Horsemans only had Off Hacking & Games - i always went for the jumping & game events but found myself next to "real" hacks" LOL.
    This is going back 16 yrs ago & i placed last LOL but i do remember the judge still giving me a ribbon. :eek:
    Maybe she felt sorry for me LOL! *#)

Anyway, IMO some sound advice in several posts in this thread. :))