Moving from unofficial to official

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by blondeshowjumper, Oct 11, 2010.

1. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

Oh god no!!! lol

I'm sure they serve their purpose but I will never have a purpose for one haha

2. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

So your opinion on competing official MPKG...cause I know you have one. :D

Can you compete in second hand gear and a indian double bridle and be competitive?

3. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Of course you can compete in second hand gear! I prefer to buy second hand gear as long as its been looked after, that way the leather is already soft and broken in, and you can buy the big brands for a fraction of the price.

I did mention in another thread that official is more expensive than unofficial and I do think it is but I also agree you don't have to spend big $$$ to be successful, once you know where to look you can pick up some great bargains of top brands and quality gear, for example I bought a leather wagners show girth hardly used for $50 and a triple thickness champion tails falsey also for $50 :D one of my ascot outfitter jackets I picked up reduced from $700 to $150 brand new. I did spend over $300 on a custom made bridle but I love it and am very much a bridle person, nothing better than a well fitting bridle :p I also plan on this bridle to last her life time!

As long as your gear is good quality or at least looks it, clean, tidy and trendy (eg. short jacket not longer style) you can easily get away without spending thousands.

One thing I don't understand though is spending $100+ on a number holder *#)

Pssst QSS your show bridle isn't english leather :p

4. Que Sera Sera

PMSL. Its german leather isnt it?

Im saving up the money for a hand made one for him. Hate the full brow, cob length and pony nose, but it makes for a pretty horse LOL

5. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Made in India :p

6. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Back in early 2000 my little mare went "Top 10" SHCHOY when it was Hack over 15h in a "Wintec" saddle. After an accident she couldn't work properly in her "Ambassador Turnout" $2500 saddle from the UK it was too heavy and wouldn't move thru the shoulders. In this case we used the saddle she worked the best in!!!!!*#)

7. Cav

Cav Gold Member

FINALLY...someone else has reiterated the points I have been trying to make throughout this entire thread....sometimes in a hurdy gurdy way!! :) And no I couldnt picture Luke in a synthetic saddle either nor could I imagine him putting an indian bridle on his horse considering how much his lovely top boots from overseas must have cost (im only assuming they were expensive, i may be very wrong here but I have Anastazzis here that were over $500 new so kind of using that as guestimate comparison) :)*

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  8. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Thats great Merlin, but that was 10 years ago when the fashion was still hunter caps and single vent jackets :)

9. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

I agree they do look better especially as the more $$ they are the smaller, better shaped the face of them are but for something just holds a number :p I can't justify it, although you watch I will come home with one from equitana no doubt

10. Que Sera Sera

OMG so that's why we didnt do well at newcomers LOL.

What brand is my show bridle again Tarz?

11. Que Sera Sera

I just went and checked Tarz and I bought a collegiate bridle. So get down on your hands and knees and apologise and beg forgiveness.

I didnt buy an indian bridle, I bought a cheap english bridle :p na na nana na

12. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

13. Que Sera Sera

14. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

Most definitely. I see both points being made. I have certainly spent a lot on getting good quality gear but that is probably more my own vanity than necessity. I definitely didn't have to buy custome made top boots from Germany (well over $500 Cav :)) but I still did. You can really spend as much as you want.

I highly doubt a judge would put me down the line if I didn't have these boots or my custom DQ bridle. I do think they would put me down the line if I used one of those cheap, tacky (and HUGE) number olders though hahahaha (just kidding).

15. Gerbra

Gerbra Well-known Member

Thanks P :) Just cause i want one :p

16. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

I have 7 Mal Byrne and 3 Wagners bridles, i have matching Breastplate number holders to match. i only bought a few brand new - everything else has always been 2nd hand and i love the thrill of hunting out a quality bargain.

I would suggest when buying 2nd hand you see it in the flesh so to speak, it is very easy to get cheated out on quality,fit and sometimes people will hide a blemish on the leather in photos too. I have been lucky on buying off photos, everyone i have dealt with have always been honest.

I too have probably too over the years bought more than needed, im a BB freak and have a whole box of them. For those of you who have been around long enough, i still have my first Arcadia BB from back in the early 90's - they sure have come a long way!!!

MPKG - Definately hate those big gory number holders - aaahhh they come in the same category as the big gory sheepskins.....................:)*

17. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

I have seen you ride in an indian leather bridle Luke....I even have the photos to prove it :p

18. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

This thread is funny haha :p

19. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

What's wrong with your horse wearing an entire dead sheep? *#)

20. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

I have no problem with Indian leather :)