Morons on motorbikes, twits in trucks, fools in 4WDs and cretins in cars

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Bunnies, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Bunnies

Bunnies Guest

I overheard a conversation between four men on the weekend and how I didn't go and give them a piece of my mind I'll never know. From my eavesdropping I was able to ascertain that they all live in an "equestrian estate" and that at least some of them have a wife and/or children who ride.

Imagine my disgust when I then heard them complaining about having to slow down for horses on the road. According to them it is especially annoying when they're enjoying a high speed hoon on their motorbikes. One of them drives a truck and he was particularly annoyed about horses reacting badly when he passes close to them! They believe horses should not be allowed on the road because they are not licensed/registered in the way that vehicles are. They think horses should be restricted to the bridle paths that run through the estate (riders would stick to the bridle paths if they ran along EVERY road and if EVERY property had direct access to one and if EVERY bridle path was safe but as it stands there are times when riding on the road is unavoidable in order to get to a bridle path and in some places the bridle paths are narrow or blocked and in some places they are about 2m above the road making it risky to ride on them on anything but the most bombproof horse). These men made it very clear that they resent having to make allowances for people on horses and at least one of them resents his wife spending money on "a new coat" for the horse!! Apparently if a rider gets hurt because their horse is spooked by a vehicle it's just "stiff s**t" and it wouldn't happen if people could control their horses properly!!

Their anti-horse tirade appalled me. My OH was with me and was tempted to go and ask them why they bought a property in an "equestrian estate" if they hate horses and why they live with a woman who rides if they hate horses. We were wondering if their wives know how they feel? Surely it should be a case of love me love my horse!

I'm very very grateful to have an OH who does love me love my horse(s) but I wonder how many women who ride have OHs who feel like the four men I overheard!?

2. Bunnies

Bunnies Guest

You're right SBB - there are also "hoons on horses" and unfortunately they can give the rest of us a bad name by being disrespectful to drivers and acting like they and their horses own the road! Not only can these hoons cause problems for drivers but they can also cause problems for other riders!!

Hopefully what I heard these men saying is just talk and they're not really that bad when they're behind the wheel or handlebars!

Just needed to vent a little.........

3. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

Funny - I live in a very non-horsey area. People generally slow down to a true snails pace when they come across me with pony on the road out here. ';' I should be pleased but it annoys me ';'. They often insist on doing odd things and trying to get me to do odd things, when I really just want them to ignore me and for all of us go about our business as per normal, abiding by the road rules :eek:.
    Some people are just never happy :p

4. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

I was fairly indignant when a motorbike rider turned up on a bridle trail in Darling Downs.
    My horse was equally unimpressed.

His excuse: "I live here" !

One of your MoMs Bunnies?

5. Bunnies

Bunnies Guest

I'm guessing that was a trail bike? There seems to be a misconception about "bridle paths" but to me it's pretty clear - motorbikes don't wear bridles. Years ago I used to ride in Gnangara pine forest and there were always separate areas for bikes and horses.

The problem here is with road bikes speeding through the area and cars doing burnouts and doughnuts! The riders/drivers are all locals who should know better.

I agree with SBB and Nattyh about cars crawling past. I think all riders would be happy if vehicles would "please pass wide and slow" as it says on the hi vis vests that are so popular in the UK.

6. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

There is signs all over the dd trails saying that motor bikes aren't permitted. So whether he lives there or not, he ain't supposed to be riding on them...

7. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Yes. And it sounded pretty funny, as though no one with horses who lived there counted.

8. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

Unfortunately that's the attitude many take. It happens on both sides of the fence.

I am always polite and considerate on the road (I smile and say thankyou, I use Hi-Vis, I keep to the side, I drive past slowly and pass wide), whether I am riding down a road on a horse or driving past one, but the amount of people that don't even aknowledge me is astounding!

Is it really that hard to return a smile or wave back? Will it really affect your trip time to slow down for a minute to avoid causing an accident?

Where have people's manners gone? :(

9. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

If they only realized how fast they spook and the mess a horse makes of their precious machines when hit, they might slow down and keep wide to avoid the chance of collision.

10. Bunnies

Bunnies Guest

So true!! The men I overheard had a "stiff s***" attitude to the horse or rider being injured but they didn't stop to think about the effect of a collision on themselves. I should've asked them what sort of damage they thought 500-600kg of bone and muscle might do!??!

I remember seeing many "public information announcements" on TV in the UK and these included messages about riding on the roads, the responsibilities of riders and drivers. I wonder what effect messages like that would have here. I guess it would make everybody aware of what's right but it may have no effect on attitudes. Half the problems are caused by ignorance but the other half are caused by arrogance.

11. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Sadly us horse owners have it much better.. MORE areas to ride.

SFA for us dirt bike riders, like my family. There is only soo many laps you can do at a MX track before it gets repetitive.
    Don't blame the dirt bike riders for riding on Bridle Paths IMO.

12. Diana

Diana Gold Member

I'm not sure what you guys mean exactly by creep...how fast is that? I'd much rather someone creep past than barrel along on their merry way! Especially after a car nearly scared silly Dave into a ditch on the side of the road when they went past (in Wagga Wagga). I've decided rather than be a hero I just get off no matter how fast or slow someone is going :} (I'll be so pissed if someone comes and tells me that's illegal though! :eek: because I have a feeling it is... #( )

I'd much rather be off a horse than on it when he decides to do his fancy spins and stuff *#) no guarantee that I'll stay on if he decides to buck or something (not that he has...I'm just not really game to take the risk...)

GEE so many threads lately that are making Perth (or cities/towns/built-up areas in general) sound like a GREAT place to keep horses. Keep it up! :eek: just brilliant. :eek:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  13. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Yes, (although vehicles are prohibited on DD trails), but they must consider the horses that the trail was made for. Stop, even turn off your engine if a horse is having trouble. It's not fair to riders who are trying to console a frightened 600kg animal, the bikers only have to turn a key to be 100% safe. Don't rev past spewing gravel because it's unfair that horses have more trails (not saying this is you R).

I must say, I've only encountered very nice bike riders. One leather-clad man on a Harley turned his bike off and let me train my own Harley to cope with the bike. Lucky it was a quiet road.

My problem is Commodore hoons, I'd rather float for 2 hours than try to use the road to get to bushland near home. A risk not worth taking.

14. Diana

Diana Gold Member

My late uncle used to drive past (when I lived at my parents) in whatever vehicle whether it be the sprayer, header, tractor with various trail alongs *#) and he'd slow down even just a bit if he saw me riding whether it was in the paddock or on the side of the road. I always really appreciated it. **)

15. Remaani

Remaani Guest

The kids ride the dirt bikes in the paddock with the ponies, when doing the firebreaks etc the ponies chase the tractor..... they are use to alpacas, dogs, pig etc, trains as well & low flying planes!
    They are use to it all, but walk them past the shed with the creeper growing up the side & they instantly become fire breathing dragons!! ;)

16. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Yeah :( I never really had people going past often enough for my horses to get used to it under saddle :( kinda frustrating. It's kinda gotta be all or nothing ';'

Probably doesn't help that riding a few nutty horses when there were vehicles hasn't exactly made me super confident #(

17. luckyboy22

luckyboy22 Well-known Member

My horse Couldn't care less about Cars, but motorbike, be prepared to either get off or fall off!
    He is deadly scared of them, even after they are heaps far away!
    There are 2 nice guys, that always slow down for me, but Lucky still gets so scared!

18. abb77

abb77 Well-known Member

ohhh a few weeks ago i was going down the road to get to the trails and bam! a truck turns the corner so tightly that im on the path almost getting hit :mad:

we arent not doing anything wrong yet apparantly us on horses are the ones at fault :confused:

19. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Hehe mine are used to headers, others tractors, bikes, trucks, sheep (in the hundreds), fire (I'm talking hundreds of acres at once) etc but push a wheel barrow down the driveway???! NUP!!!

20. I Always love telling this story:

A stockie floated her lovely horse to my old place and the two of us went on a trail ride in the bush across the road. About 4 blokes on trail bikes screamed past a little way away and the horse I was riding just freaked right out and was stressing badly. I decided to quickly take him home and swap to my lovely reliable Levi (17hh TB) instead.

Off we set a second time and just after entering the bush we came across a single bike rider stopped and talking to somebody parked on the side of the road. I asked him which way he was heading so we could take a different route. The guy told me he'd just got there and was just about to head off to find the others because one had fallen off his bike & injured himself.

I offered to follow him and see if I could help as I'd done 1st aid. So we did. The guy took off and we cantered merrily after him up into the bush. When we arrived at the scene all the guys eyes bugged out of their heads!

I got off Levi and took a look at the poor guy who'd fallen off. He'd badly wrenched or twisted his knee and there was no way he could ride the bike or walk back down to the road. The only way he was getting outta there was by helicopter... Or horseback.

The guys weren't to keen about the horse idea first, on fact the guy looked at BIG Levi snoozing on the path and then at the Stockies Arab that was still snorting and jigging even though the bikes had all been turned off for 5 minutes and asked if he could ride the little horse instead. LOL

Eventually with the help of his friends got him up on ol Levi with a bit of effort and keeping the knee still we walked all the way back down to the road. At first he was really anxious and worried "What if the bikes freak him out?" he asked. "Well he was a racehorse... A scared horse can run REAL fast..." *#) (hmm a bit different when the shoe is on the other foot eh!) but Levi just plodded along happily behind the bikes and by the time we got back to the road the guy was smiling and patting Levi and was quite happy up there.

His mates helped get him down and took him off to hospital.

I never ever had issues with the dirt bikes again. They always turned the bikes off when we came close and always rode carefully in the area so they didn't suddenly and unexpectedly come screaming up behind us. We often passed eachother with a cheery wave after that.