More Float Problems..any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Northern Peregrine, Nov 13, 2011.

1. CMBR

CMBR Well-known Member

ugh dont even talk about float problems....
    My pony :mad:

2. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

I have issues if I try and lead my horse in and control his front end with loading. I sent him to Fred's and now we just concentrate on controlling his back end and he has to self load. I dont tie up until the bum bar is done up then I fluff around the front with tying up and hay and changing halters. He floats in a leather but gets loaded in a rope halter. I then close the back up.

3. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Not a fix but perhaps just this once you could use a long rope and pass thru grooms door Ie you hold it while u do up the back just to help let him know you want him to stay in. Then tie him up once the back is done up. Would seek help from pro float trainer to help your horse and yourself get back on track asap. Issues like this will only esculate and can be very dangerous. Good luck and be careful.

4. NumidianHorse

NumidianHorse Active Member

... like Faxie's suggestion - just hope you're more successful with it than I was ... this was one of the (many) ways I tried to get Princess Sticky Beak to stay on the float ... she'd just rip back and meet me outside the back of the float where I'd be standing looking outfoxed ;)

I often thought during our work sessions that it would be funny to see her tricks on video (if it wasn't so sad cos she kept "winning") :p

5. moodymare

moodymare Well-known Member

my mare is a self loader most of the time, but she also will not walk up the ramp if you are infront of her so sometimes can take 2 or 3 goes to get in but once in she will stand while i do up the bumbars and then i tie up but that said my old mare was always tied up first because she was a big follower and if not tied up would follow you anywhere. She had scrambling issues later after another horse going down in the float with her and after that we were only able to float her on her own without the divider, she would happily sit in the float for hours provided she had all the room, so I know this is fence sitting but work out what feels more comfortable for you and your horse

6. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Mine too. I float by myself to most outings so he is lead in, tied up, then I pop around the back and do up the bum bars/ramp. BUT he is nearly to self loading consistantly and when he does I will do up the back first**) Whatever works :)*

Your poor boy NP#( In your case, until he is comfortable, I would be asking some nice person at ARC to give you a hand to load, I am sure someone would help :)

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

This is what I do, both my 5yo and 2yo walk straight up into the float fluently. I just thrown the lead rope over their necks and wait at the bum bars then shut them up and go to the front and tie up solid above their heads (love how the Imperials tie points are high).

As for the OP I had wondered if your horse would have issues after what happened. I had one go through the floor of a float too and I couldn't get him near a float let alone in it for a long time! He never loaded up well after that but travelled ok. If he was still around today I'm sure he would of been over it by now and floating nicely.

Goodluck! Persistence and good experiences is what will pay off.

8. Northern Peregrine

Northern Peregrine Well-known Member

Well we are back from our solo gymkhana trip and pleased to say that I had no major problems. I tied him before I closed the doors and had no real issues leaving home ( he tried stepping back once when I was shutting the main door but his heart wasn't in it) Had some help at the club getting him off..many thanks to Lin who kept him occupied at the front while I fiddled with the back :) and also loading to go home. Was most worried about getting him off by myself back at home as he was already thumping around with impatience, as usual, when I came up the drive. Still no problems though..kept him tied up while I opened the back. He seemed to respect the fact that he wasn't going anywhere until that rope was looped around his neck and he didn't try anything . I really think that tying him first is the safest option for us at present. I'm just hoping he gets his confidence back now after a few non-stressy trips , so we can go back to normal.

9. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Glad it worked out for you NP **) I saw your lovely boy at wanneroo hack day, he really is a smashing horse.

10. Koolie

Koolie Active Member

can i just ask, what would people do in this situation..

my horse does tie up but sometimes has a spac and pulls back until the twine breaks. what would happen if he tried this when being floated? or cant he pull back enough because the door would be there?

if this was your horse would you tie him up in the float or leave him untied? what would be "safer"??

:confused:

11. cupcake

cupcake Well-known Member

Koolie, this is why I dont do the bum bar up until he is tied.

My boy also pulls back if he doesnt feel like being tied up until the twine snaps.

depends on the horse/and the style of the float to if you think its important to tie them in the float.

12. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Nothing to do with floating, this is a tying issue - your horse needs to be trained to solid tie and not pull back. THis can be dangerous to retrain in certain circumstances and I would recommend a pro trainer to help you out with this. It's a shame Bob Neuman (sp) isn't working anymore because he was fabulous with horses like this.

I don't put up with pulling back - at all - ever! I won't float a horse until it ties up properly - essentially the horse needs to learn to yield to pressure - this will make not only ground work easier but ridden work too!!

13. cupcake

My horse does tie up, but if there is a bit of wind or somthing that he finds scary he will pull back and snap it.

However, he is fine to hard tie in the float, but I still tie to bailing twine and I make sure the bum bar is closed before I tie him up, and then when hes let off the float, hes untied first, then I walk around and do the bum bar, and ask him to walk out which he does so poiltley... after all out hard work, proud of my boy!

14. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

i am reminded of the panel of experts who showed up after a gymkhana when i was trying to load my horse in the float to go home.

"why don't you just solid tie him to the front before you close the back?"

and

"leave a trail of carrots right up to the front."

and

"idk why you don't Just slam the ramp shut & lock him in!"

thank GOD Merrylegs was there to save the day & teach me a valuable lesson about floating a claustrophobic horse. have used her methods ever since & they're very very helpful.

FYI i did once seal a claustrophobic horse up in a float before he was ready for it. damage to both horse and float. never again.

15. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Yes I agree Blitzen - which is why I fix the root of the problem before loading the horse lol!!!!

Kylie, you have done damn well with your horse as I have read your threads, so you should be proud :) **) However, he doesn't tie if he pulls back at all :p If he truly yielded to pressure he would get a fright, lean back, feel the poll pressure and give to it and come forwards .. look into tie up training for him, it will make your life sooo much easier, and his too **)

Interestingly I had a new horse pull back last night in the wash bay. Had a bit of a smile and thought ahhhhh my friend, you are not going to be doing that again ;) I won't be floating him again - or in fact doing much of anythign with him - until that is well and truly fixed. Fun times ahead!! *#)

I have a zero tolerance policy for pulling back.

16. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

LOL You'd hate my mare then ! Being tied up is the most terrifying thing in the world to her. It never ends well *#)
    She loads on the float beautifully though, happily ties up in there and stands and waits to be asked to come off ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2011
  17. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

LOL tell your mare how lucky she is not to be my horse ZaZa - she would meet a pull back collar and a very strong tree for the day .. or days .. lol *#)

I am deadly serious when I say zero tolerance lol ;):p

18. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

so how would you deal with a claustrophobic horse if you won't load him in the float to help desensitise him to small spaces?

or are you referring to horses that pull back?

19. cupcake

This was my horses problem with floating.

he wouldnt even walk under the 6m high hay shed roof thats hudge an open!

So thats we were started. And then I made it enclosed with a little bay for him and thats where he has his din dins, get tacked up and brushed and pampered. He some times puts the breaks on to go into his little bay but I just have to tap my finger on his shoulder now and he will walk in.

With the floating, I kept the middle divider open, and just spent LOTS of time standing up in the float with him, singing to him, talking to him, reading to him, after a while, he stoped getting the runs, stoped shaking, stoped sweating and now seems quite relaxed, even if nosy things are going on outside or the side human door closes in the wind and bangs... he knows he has to get up and PARK.

If he backed out, we played the yo yo game.

I really dont see how hard tying him would have made him feel more comfortable in small spaces? (I do agree though he has to learn to hard tie)

20. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

yep. same process with mine, kylie. VERY claustrophobic even in a crush out in the open. he was officially measured in about 0.02392 seconds cos he was a horror in the crush at pony club. i did LOTS of squeeze game to help him over come this, and just lottttts of desensitising in the float, just like you did. he never used to pullback when solid tied, so wasn't a tying issue either. the one time i did lock him into the float (see, tying up wasn't necessary!) he EXPLODED. didn't pull back, but certainly tried to turn the float inside out.

the one time he had probs with tying up was after about 3 weeks of daily treatment for an eye ulcer, he'd decided he'd had enough & started pulling back.

well. let's just say we nipped that in the bud quicksmart.

actually, i guess it is a tying issue if the horse explodes when confined in a float (and tied up, obviously, but it's all part of the floating experience), but that sort of fear response needs a lot more than re-education to tying, IMO.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011