monty roberts and tying up in floats

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by whitepantheress, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Very interesting discussion - great to learn about the leather halters. I have a really old, soft leather halter that I'm going to use for floating - thanks for educating me, Heifer :)

I always tie to baler twine.. usually an older piece. I feel it's safer to have their head at the front (Hon tries to get a glimpse of the cars behind her and I do not want her getting stuck), but if something happens, it'll (hopefully) break.
    I do not tie short, and I don't tie solid. But this is my choice - I feel they need to move to help balance themselves.

2. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I forgot to mention. My reasons for tying solid was years ago (when I was really young) I put my horse in the float.
    We left the property and my horse was scrambling. The driver noticed my horses head out the back of the float.

I jumped out the moving car in a panic to find my horse trying to jump over the tailgait. We managed to remove him safely.

We discovered that UNDER the rubber of a well known hired horse float (I won't name names but have NEVER used them since) was a large hole which my horses leg had gone through. Obviously since then I learnt to lift all rubber matting and check underneith ;).

Anyway my horse paniced and snapped the bail twine he was tied to. He trashed around and managed to delodge the centre divider (I'm not sure how now, it was so many years ago!) before trying to jump out the back.

So THIS is the exact reason why I tie solid. One of my biggest fears!

BUT thats just my reason! I have no problems or judgements what so ever towards people not tieing or tieing to twine.

After this incident my horse was tied solid and luckily floated well and never had any issues.

3. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

I have an inner tube section - so its less bulky than a whole inner tube - with clips at either end.

I exchange clips from normal lead to this. I ALWAYS have scizzors handy, and this stuff is VERY easy to cut if pulled tight.

It gives the horse a bit of direction, as to where you want them to be, it does prevent to an extent, head turning ect - and provides a bit of pressure for them to step into.

I will not stopp them if they are going ballistic, and it can be easily cut if they are stuck.

I too have had horses turn heads, and get them stuck behind the stallion divider ect when not tied.....silly silly horses!

My float wouldnt have this problem however, as it has no center pole, or stallion divider......so it is fairly important that they have SOMETHING to prevent the notion of turning around and walking out **) ......if push came to shove :)

So yep. I tie semi solid.....and I use rope halters all the time - I dont like handling horses without them.

4. ASH lover

ASH lover Well-known Member

As other people have said, it depends oon the horse and the float. I never tie Wren up, but that is because she is a wonderful floater, wlks straight up to the chest bar and never moves an inch.

If I have a horse that needs some kind of restraint I would prefer to wrap the lead a couple of times around the empty bay chest bar.

If however, I am floating with another fidgety horse I will tie up both horses short to stop bickering as I don't have a stallion divider in my float.

Now stallion dividers, theres another discussion too as I personally find them annoying and dont stop the horses bickering anyway, though I would be more likely a shoulder divider to stop horses looking over their shoulders.

5. jc163041

jc163041 New Member

I had a similar experience to you Arnie. Hired a float of a well known hire company. Travelling along, thankfull we had to stop for some reason. Got out to check on horses and my boy had put his hoof through the floor. I panicked more then he did lol. he was and is a very patient calm horse. Totally freaked me out. Turnes out the companys way of cleaning the float was sparying it with water everytime. As a result the floor boards rotted. I now have my own float so i can make sure the floor is safe for the horses.

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Ditto! I now have a brand new float and sweep out rather than hose but very thorough.

This happened about 8ish years ago now (maybe more, can't remember!) and since wondered how these same older floats (still operating) are coping.

7. Shannon

Shannon Well-known Member

After the float accident the other day i was acutally thinking about this and its a good thing the big mare untied herself (otherwise would of squished the poor pony).

Diva doesnt get tied as she is great when in the float and doesnt look around especiallly when she as a full hay net. Ebony doesnt get tied up as she likes to face the other direction when travelling and as soon as sh is in place she doesnt budge! Suzie just stands there so doesnt get tied. all the other minis however get double tied and while they dont move when tied the attempt to jump through windows and move around alot when they are free....

8. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

I was hoping you'd post about the accident and how that related to this thread, cheers shannon :)

9. carol51

carol51 Well-known Member

thats why i have something to cut them with in the glovebox

10. Shannon

Shannon Well-known Member

:) if the mare was tied up it would not of been better outcome, as the big (16.1hh solid CB mare) bay was on top of the pony (13 or 14hh) so the pony would of been squished before we would be able to get into the float, (the doors were stuck shut from the impact on the road. The big mare was tied up, soild but she was playing with the rope and untied herself. She was flung out of the float as we landed but she was amazingly fine except for the few minor cuts and bruises. The little mare was tied in the float and she was stuck in there longer then the big mare, she was solid tied and couldnt get out til the halter came off, but it ended up breaking (was a webbed halter but didnt cause damage)

It was because the big mare could get out that the little mare didnt get hurt further. But yeh i have def had a thought about tying up in the float.

11. carol51

carol51 Well-known Member

monty

when monty was here a few years ago he did a seminar on float training he asked if people could bring a horse that was new to it so a freind of ours took a brumby that was a bugger to float you could get him in but it took forever and a lot of patience as he fought the whole time anyway he got him there and monty basically did auditions to see what ones he wanted he told our freind that his horse was not suitable as it was a brumby and was to difficult i thought this guy was a horse trainer but it seems to me he likes them already pretty well trained so they make him look good and he can sell his products for a fortune i would like to know why people think becouse these guys are american they are better horseman than aussies or know more than we do give me an aussie trainer anyday

12. jhbuzz31

jhbuzz31 New Member

I was always taught that to not tie up when floating. I suppose it does depend on the horse all those stories sound horrible! But I was always taught to leave the leadrope on either over their neck or loosely around the chest bar for the exact reason just shown. Purely if there is an accident the horse can get out once the float is opened.
    But I haven't had much experience floating and any time I have has been with a darling horse.

13. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

tying in float

i forgot to tie my pony up in the float recently and omg it was horrible to see where her put his head, trying to look out the back, head ove the divider, head behind the divider at one stage he put his head under the chest bar. i normally tie to the new plastic tie up clips avaliable in horseland i feel thay were a great invention and good investment another option would be to tie to a cable tie.

i float in a leather halter also.

i have had a horse go over the chest bar and have her head twisted away from the door was a horrible experince this was with a single door and we could not access the rope without smashing the window.

if i was to float in a float with a single door i would place horseon this side so the rope can be accessed.

14. ShowjumpKid4Eva

ShowjumpKid4Eva Well-known Member

I have to tie my horse [scrambler] because he's actually worse not tied. With this horse, it's a matter of several factors - tied or not tied, divider tied across/super-wide bay [and we're talking horse and a half wide or more, he likes LOTS of room] or normal sized bay, what kind of halter you put on him, what kind of float you put him in, whether he has company or not...

Without company, tied [rope or web halter], with the divider tied across or on a super-huge single [big enough that you could nearly fit another horse in there], he is rock solid. Without company, tied, with the divider normal, he scrambles. Untied, he scrambles. With company, I haven't been able to float him with no divider or in a super-huge bay, so thus far he scrambles but is better than he is without company with the divider normal.

on the "wrong side" of the float I can't even get him ON. More training is required there, but my own float would be required first!

My young TB also needs a lot more training, she goes on with patience applied but doesn't travel well.

I wouldn't -not- tie given the choice, purely because my two aren't reliable travellers. There are panic snaps, most tie-up ropes have breakaway snaps on the end not attached to the horse that don't actually require much force to get them to break away and the benefit of that is you have a good 60cm-ish of lead still attached to the horse. I have one, somewhere... and if I ever find the finances to buy my own float I will have one for each bay.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  15. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

I don't tie my gelding, he likes to look out the back, and gets panicky and traffic lights if he's tied and can't turn his head. They travel horses backwards in Germany, so don't find this too much of an issue.

ALWAYS tie both my mares. Monica is an angel in the float, but Gracie is a bit too short, and will pace the bay if she's not tied.

16. ShowjumpKid4Eva

Annie, do you think he'd back onto the float and travel backwards if you gave him the choice? just a thought :)

17. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Probs :) But he can't have his head hanging out over the back of the float ;)

18. ShowjumpKid4Eva

did think about that, but if you tied a red bit of cloth to his halter he'd be legal :p [jokes jokes, I know it's not safe]

Wonder if it would be possible to have a float custom made or modified specifically for the purpose of being able to have your horse travel backwards? Would probably be pricey though.

19. horse girl Jess

horse girl Jess Well-known Member

There are floats already in Australia that are modified to travel horses backwards, and I'm sure you've heard of the angle floats too. I have a friend doing an honours project comparing the different travel methods, the outcome will be interesting no doubt.

20. moodymare

moodymare Well-known Member

my mare had the unfortunate trouble of getting a fright in the float whilst travelling and ended up with one hind leg over the divider and the other hind leg over the bum bar, thankfully she was hard tied, and we were able to lever her weight onto her front legs while we undid all the bolts from the outside to drop the bumbars, but it is a preference thing and i also carry a heavy duty cutter in my onroad emergency kit