monty roberts and tying up in floats

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by whitepantheress, Nov 13, 2010.

1. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

Thanks guys, you've all made some really good points there, and it's got me pondering what to do with my boy. I think the comment about the trailer vs float designs is a good one too.

Thanks all of you :) :)*

2. Horseagilitywa

Horseagilitywa Well-known Member

I tie up solid, in a leather halter. Didn't know anyone else used em Heifer.

I always carry a knife and an axe.

Oh and I'm a local emergency contact for stuck horsefloats. Got a call by a bloke who is non-horsey but was towing a horse to Perth for a mate (Urgh), lovely bloke though.

Horse got himself undone (chewed on the baling twine), and leaped out of the float. If the bloke hadn't taken been fantastic with his driving and because he'd kept his speed low, he was out of the ute and to the back as the horse was untangling his back leg. I have the horse in my paddock for re-hab at the moment.

3. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Hate web halters. Rope for training, leather for leaving on in paddock/float/yard etc. Have had to get a number of repairs done, but figure better that than horse with burns or worse!

Good leather halters for under $100 = UK or Equestrienne (HKM brand are nice and soft!).

4. montygirl

montygirl Well-known Member

I have recently upgraded to a leather halter and I love it! So soft and if King does pull back or get a fright it will break and not burn him like a rope halter.:)*

5. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

hmmm i wonder who was responsible for brainwashing you LOL they are nice though eh **)

6. Horseagilitywa

Horseagilitywa Well-known Member

Oh Heifer you nasty brainwasher you LOL

I have still got a leather halter that I bought in the UK over (sigh) 15yrs ago, works a treat, only had one break. I good quality, looked after Leather halter last donkey years!!!!

7. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

i dont tie wee up in the float... not really any reason for it but lazyness.. hes a great floater and walks on, and sticks his head in the feeder. if i had a diffcult horse id tie but i dont :) im lucky :)

8. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

i'm a strange one.... :p
    i tie in my truck to trailer ties ("tie" just clipping them on the halters) but don't tie in a float, just throw it over the neck (only ozzie) and tie the lead rope so it doesn't go on the floor.
    i tie in the truck coz:
    1) they stay in the truck
    2) they where in the truck when i bought it
    3) the bays open on an angle and if the horse isn't tied the horse might decide to unload himself and smush me against the wall with the divider or trample

my bays are angled to the back of the truck so it's easy to escape from if not tied. once i forgot to tie my horse ozzie but he didn't even notice lol

i will def getting a few tie ups with panic snaps on them and i might get them both halters with panic straps on them....thanks for pointing that one out :)

9. Gabbi

Gabbi New Member

I always tie when floating but rather than baling twine, (which I used to use) I now tie with a bungy tie. If a horse should go down it will stretch and prevent serious damage to the neck. I also leave the lead rope on so that I have control immediately. The lead rope is not tied to any dees, just looped through and out of the way of feet. Nothing worse than trying to get a lead rope on a struggling horse in a confined area.

10. Diana

Diana Gold Member

I don't tie Dave up mainly because the float is safe. The divider sticks out so they can't get their neck around it. Also Dave's pretty chilled in the float - it really doesn't bother him so I don't really feel the need to tie him up :)

11. My main reasons for tying in the float is to prevent the horses arguing and being able to reach eachother to bite and also to stop a silly stressy horse trying to look behind itself and gettings its neck and head stuck!

12. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Thus I will ALWAYS have mesh stallion dividers in my floats :)

13. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

As do I. But ....... the dividers do not (generally) go right to the roof and are angled from lower towards the middle of the float, to the highest point up by the chest bar. It was it was in this gap that my horse managed to wedge her head.

So from then on, she was tied to twine ;)

14. madison

madison Well-known Member

I wouldn't dream of not tying my horse in the float she'd be up to all sorts of nonsense if i didn't:)*

15. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Well, it's like the solid v twine tieing up isn't it. There's good and bad on both sides.

I tie to twine. I've seen horses get their head around to look out the back while untied. That doesn't need a full-on accident to cause problems.
    And tieing to twine, even if the horse falls, or there is an accident, the twine would break. I would not tie solid inside a float.

16. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

I think it depends on the horse. My boy, throw the rope over, walks on, bum bar done up, ramp shut and off i go. He doesnt turn his head around etc. When milly was staying with me at first i tied both up and then after that never tied her either (once I knew how she floated etc)...

when i get a new horse i always tie up.

If i dont know the horse i tie up...

If i had a youngster I would tie up...

17. Frosty_n_Kel

Frosty_n_Kel New Member

I dont tie in float either.
    My horse is a good floater except he does lean on corners. I worry that if he did slip, he wouldnt be able to get himself up again with his head tied. I agree with Lauren616713, that he is better able to balance himself this way.

18. Crafty

Crafty Well-known Member

I tie to baling twine.

After having a float roll over about 9 years ago I lost one horse because he was tied solid to the float but then the other horse was not tied and he ended up out of the float and a bloody mess we where lucky to save him.

Each to their own as with most things in life. I also carry a sharp knife can cut ropes etc and a hacksaw for worst case scenario if I need to cut bits off the float.

I am shocked Monty didn't give reason I find most great horsemen/women give reason for their answers so that people can understand why he obviously has no idea how to teach aussies :D

19. brumby_78

brumby_78 Guest

i don't tie in floats or trucks, had my mare go down in a truck and did damage to her face :( if im getting a lift with someone that does tie to twine, i will to keep them happy... My girls, throw the rope over, walks on, bum bar done up, ramp shut and off i go. they don't turn their heads around etc. but i know my mares... sometimes they have hay and other times they don't, they just chillax and enjoy the ride :)

20. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Very interesting discussion! And certainly up to the individual. I don't think anyone is wrong. You do whats safe and if it works, then great!

I solid tie mine and with my new float the tie rings are up high so I use that. However I'll be getting one of those chain with easy release clips attached rather then using a lead rope.

My midget one I cross tie to help 'try' and keep him in one bay (with no luck!).

I also have seperate travel halters for each individual horse and carry spares also.