Monkey Strap???

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by dirtbug, Oct 24, 2010.

1. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

Okies i need to put a monkey strap on my saddle as i lean to far forward so when Billy pigroots in the canter i get catapulted forward, so i need to teach myself its ok to lean back further

cos im not used to sitting straight it feels like im gonna topple off backwards LOL *#)

this is a question i would normally ask my dad but hes passed on, so should i take saddle down to a saddler and get a strap put on or just find a leather strap to buckle on???

(I ride in a isabell normally)

I dont care about having/using a monkey strap dad always had one for just in case, reknd it was better to be safe and able to walk away then be a hero and potentially kill your self **)
  2. pso

pso Gold Member

u can get them ready made with buckle/clips on end...(rolled leather- easier to grab ;) )
    or just use a flash noseband strap

I've got one on every saddle :)
  3. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I just have a strap on mine - but if you wanna get all fancy, there are nice ones for sale for not too many pennies lol
  4. jadelzwadelz

jadelzwadelz Active Member

i got a couple from one of the big horsey shops and they were only $8 or something like that. Clips on each end - easy peasy!!
  5. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

awesome thanks guys really appriciated your replys!!! :)*

my fav saddle which is dads old stock saddle, he made the strap himself and i cant remove it LOL

so wasnt sure if you can buy them or have to get one made :)
  6. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Yep I have a clip on one :) I occasionally put it on for when I'm doing something which challenges my balance (like standing in stirrups) so I can grab onto that to help me balance rather than the reins :p

I call it the 'Oh $hit strap :p'
  7. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Yep I love my "Oh $hit strap", I feel naked without it *#) even on the damn half breed I want one!

Mines a rolled one from europa - was around $15 I think.
  8. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

ive got one on my saddle

always forget to use it when i need it. always seem to grab it when i expect something to bother skye but it never does

is handy when trying to get skye to cross a stream
    (think two inches of water)
  9. odway

odway Guest

Mines an "oh cr&p strap!"

You can nice leather ones from most saddlery shops, I've used mine plenty of times, good investment :)
  10. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

I used a flash noseband on mine when i was in round yard doing our canter *#)*#) pmsl
    I call mine the OMFG Strap!!! :p
  11. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Mines a 'jesus strap', bought it from saddlesplus, byford, about $15 I think.
  12. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

Yep another vote for the good old flash noseband :p
    I would be lost without mine :eek:
  13. When you get catapulted forward , thats the horses back coming up and hitting against the flesh and bone at the back of your seat (butt) . By all means use a monkey strap if you feel the need , but you also should arch your back to lift the back of your seat away from that rising back , (your weight will rest on the front of your thighs and crotch) please don't lean back or you'll be launched out into the O'zone layer .:)
  14. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Yep thats what I do Boofheaded Bushwacker!! My little chunky QH has a mean pigroot in canter when he is fresh. I still hold the front of the saddle but get my weight up so he has nothing to push up against. I also push the little bugger forward with my legs as much as I can to bring him out of it. Whatever you do don't let them go slower or stop as it just gives them more vertical power. I must admit it can be fun once you get over being scared!
  15. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Just use a flash strap as others have said until you can get a rolled leather one (i find these easier to find when i need it, and it my hand height/angle less?). Nice hook billet end one same colour as saddle looks neat and is not obvious.
  16. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

i don't have a monkey strap but i use a stockmans breast plate.
    marco doesn't know physics! in a lesson one day, moon lights horse spooked, marco span and bolted to the gate on the way he lept in the air landing on his front legs in a vertical buck!!!! no monkey strap, all purpose wintec, i dono how the hell i stayed on but i thought i was a gonna!
    i still don't known a monkey strap or what i call a holly $hit stap! :)
  17. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Got a flash on my Dressage. And use a neck strap for jumping. Anything that will help my horse, i'll use. Haha.
  18. Yep , agree with everything here . Either you'll be fine or we're both mad !:D
  19. myst

myst Active Member

Monkey Grip

Myst JR never leaves home without her monkey grip.:)
  20. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

thanks boofhead:) but if it was that simple for me, i think my instructor who has the patience of a saint would of cured me by now LOL:D

i suffer from anxiety, so as soon as billys ear twitches i go into defensive mode and lean forward, grab the reins which in turn causes him to go up instead of forward. And not to forget he loooves to pigroot if fresh.

the strap is to help me sit back, not panic, not shorten the reins and get our right rein canter sorted :)

you see i know what im doing but i cant stop myself from reacting, so hopefully i can memory teach my body and mind to not panic, does that make sense???

thanks guys i might go the flash noseband see how it goes dont know when ill get to perth next to look at the horseshops :)