Mitavite x-tra cool

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Dusty Road, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Dusty Road

Dusty Road Well-known Member

I have been using Mitavite feeds for all of my horses, 4 stock horses in varying amounts of work and ages.

My broodmare is on Hygain at the moment because I could not get the mitavite feed for her :(

My firey little polocrosse mare, along with my partners ever trusty gelding and our 2 year old gelding are all on x-tra cool. And they all get copra as well, because they like it! Along with black sunflower seeds, oaten chaff and lucerne chaff, and some stockgain to help wet it all down.

Now the firey little mare (who is 18) gets hot on the x-tra cool. I have had to swap her onto Pegasus Coolmax, which does not heat her up at all. BUT I prefer the quaility of the mitavite feeds compared to others. Does anyone feed any of the other feeds, such as the cool performer, which perhaps does not heat their horses up?

I tried her on gumnuts becasue of her age and it sent her tropo! I have also tried her on whole grains with the same effect, which of course doens't make sense with the Coolmax!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Pegasus Feeds are still quality products, and if your old mare behaves better on that, then perhaps stick to it! Many horses get hot on these commercial rocket fuel feeds. Keep it simple always........**)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  3. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Have you thought of the Mitavite Munga? I have not tried it as my horse does very well on the Xtra Cool, but it might suit your horse????

4. Dusty Road

Dusty Road Well-known Member

Thanks Deb, I didn't even think of Munga! I might grab a couple of bags next time I am down south and see how she goes on that.

I do prefer the extruded feeds which is why I like mitavite. Though this order of feed I have ended up with none, as my supplier didn't have any breeda and I have swapped all the others onto coolmax because it is easier to have just one feed rather that 3!