Missing Horses?

Discussion in 'News Items' started by Sassy, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Has anyone heard of horses going missing or being stolen?
    It has been heard that around five horse now have been stolen/lost. Some around Bakers Hill / Toodyay area. Does anyone know of any other horses going missing?

2. blondie

blondie New Member

I heard that somewhere near us (forrestdale) a horse was stolen.
    Apparently a chick walked onto the property where the horse was agisted and just walked out with it (broad daylight!).
    Everyone thought that she knew the horses owners or something and didnt ask any questions.

3. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

How long ago did that happen? was it recent?
    Apparently a cream coloured horse float went onto this property and took a horse.. also broad daylight, the neighbours saw it but didnt say anything. there were a few other horses in the paddock with this one but they only took him. He is a 16yr old Bay 15hh Partbred Arab gelding. with lots of white (3 Socks & big Blaze).

If anyone else knows of this sort of thing happening...

4. blondie

blondie New Member

As far as I know this happened about 7-8 weeks ago maybe a bit more.

5. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

wow a part arab???

If they were going to steal, they may as well take a multimillion dollar horse.....then again there would probebly be security gards and too many ppls watching to take a horse like that.
    i wonder why someone would take a horse..they are a little bit big to hide in a paddock with out any one noticing, and keeping it in a stable..someone would be bound to notice. and whats the point of stealing if it is only going to be kept in a stable... you'd want to actually compete on it and win lots of money. but you couldnt compete without any one putting 2 & 2 together........

i dont get it

-bec-

6. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

I know of several horses that have been stolen so someone could make some quick cash by selling it for $100 or so to the knackery. I lady i knew as soon as it was found her horse missing rang the local knackery. She was lucky and got her horse back. They never found out who stole the horse.

:) Nikiwink :)

7. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

The lady that lost her horse a few weeks ago only found it the other night, turns out a man with an obsession for horses stole him... just because he wanted one, he actually wanted another horse in the paddock but couldnt catch that one so they took him instead. the only reason she got him back was because the man who took him felt guilty about it! she is very lucky.

8. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

The horse that was returned is that the one mentioned on Cavalletti site? I think I'd die if one of my horses were stolen! I've actually noticed quite afew signs in stockfeed stores and Nagmart etc about both horses and gear being stolen. It's certainley a worrying thing.

Ali

9. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

how many horse shows have you been too and not locked your car up....leaving doors on both cars and floats slightly open...and with gear and the horses unattended

the way this is going it wont be long before the horse is paddlocked to the float with all the gear locked up too

-bec-

10. Goldpally

Goldpally Active Member

Yes , it seems you can not go anywhere without having everything padlocked. It is even a special feature that all the brand new floats being made are fully lockable. Makes you wonder why people would want to take other's things. I think people that do this do not have anything of their own that they have worked so hard for so they do not appreciate this.

11. chavi

chavi Well-known Member

I think it's shocking....I was reading some english horse magazines last nite (Thanks Ali!!!) and they had a whole article on saddle-locking devices...like steering wheel bar locks but for saddle racks. And it's not cheap to have to buy all this protective 'defence system' stuff either. It's simply not right that you have to lock all your stuff up so tightly simply so that someone can't take it from under you...and as for stealing horses, I feel so sorry for the owners - it must be a terribly traumatic experience...

Danielle

12. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Yep Chavi it's a real eye opener in those UK magazines to just how bad it's getting over there for horse related thefts. I think if I had of had a horse when I lived there I'd have wanted to keep it in mum and dad's garage just to know it's safe!!!( only joking). I must admit that now when I go to shows or to the horse beach etc, I lock everything away in the car. I can't afford to replace bridles or rugs etc if I leave them laying around and they get stolen so the extra minute it takes to lock them away is worth it.

Ali

13. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

i can understand locking up at the beach. lots of non horsey people go there too who steal. I went to the beach for 15 min to take a photo for an asssignment. when I got back to the car the window was smashed in and the door kicked in so it wouldnt open and the light smashed.... yet the dorks didnt take anything.

Ag shows and other big events were non horsey people go you really have to lock. though i dont know what a non horsey person wants to do with a bridle is beyond me.

-bec-

14. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

At one local horse show I even had a show ribbon pinched. I couldn't understand why someone would want to steal it as how would someone get any benefit from it as they didn't earn it or anything?

Ali

15. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

I went to a show once and had been carrying a bucket around with some rags in it and a water bottle, when I went in the ring I left it sitting under a tree and someone took it!! how desperate is that!!?
    and yeh, the horse that was returned is the one that was on Cavalletti's.

16. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Hi Sassy, Yes that's great news! (about the horse, not your bucket) . A funny thing that I heard awhile ago regarding thefts was about someone who had a big chaff bag stolen out of her float. She wasn't concerned though as all it had in it was horse poo that she'd swept up out of the float! Now THAT'S desperate!!!! LOL.

Ali

17. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

i was at the royal this year, & while hosing my horse off , after coming out of the float (she pooed in her tail, again) someone took my tail wrap & tail bag, full of manure mind you. & have had other people at shows "borrow" things not to be returned.

18. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I noticed on "the other web site" that someone else is now missing a horse. Well actually it's a black pony stallion and I think it went missing near Herne Hill? It does seem to be becoming an increasing thing?

Ali

19. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

we found out recently who stole the ladies horse and turns out they regularly steal horses for human consumption... i was really disgusted to find this out and quite a bit worried as they are only a few km from us... apparently the police have a huge file on them but no hard evidence to arrest them.

20. blondie

blondie New Member

Mmm disgraceful
    I know of someone that does the same sort thing, doesnt steal the horses, but gets them for free out the quokka (even lies to the owners and tells them that a good home is waiting!) and then takes them straight to the meat works.

But what can you do???