Millsy Horse Floats..... Opinions please.

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by biscay, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Celestial Park

Celestial Park Active Member

Biscay: According to their prices....Royal * $16,190... tack box with 2 access doors, 2personal access doors to float!
    This is on one of the links I PM'd you and down your way, and the float brand you have said you would be happy with... Food for thought ....a bit more than the budget but a BRAND NEW FLOAT!
    Good luck and happy hunting:)*

2. Fezzie

Fezzie Guest

Lol! Thanks guys - I wasn't as clear as I meant to be :eek:

Que Sera Sera - Mr Fezzie is very proud of you - lol! ;) :D

ClubIgnite - I only quoted you because it seemed from your post that you were more concerned with what your CAR can tow, and less concerned with what your FLOAT is allowed ;)

I think KiraSpark and Que Sera Sera explained it better than me :eek:

3. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

Ah yes that bit. I forgot to put it in. The float is rated to 2800kg. They are quite a high rated capacity for a double.

Also, I know exactly how much mine weighs(fitted out, double floor etc) as I took it over a weighbridge myself. 1040kg.

4. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

I actually checked out a new imperial on the weekend. It was a double extended. Was surprised to see it rated to 2800kg. With bare weight set at 830kg, which does seem a bit light on, when considering stallion divider, tack box ect.

Though even if you took the weight up to 1000kg, its still going to give you 1800kg of horses, well witin range for 2 large horses.

Maybe the imported float makers are starting to get the hint we have bigger horses now.

5. biscay

biscay Well-known Member

So Que.... what did you think of the newer imperial then?? ( pm if you prefer).......

6. biscay

biscay Well-known Member

Celestial... I am going to ring them today :)

Am home with a sick kid today so might even be able to go for a drive and talk to them personally which would be great ! They were also recommended by another on PM... so they seem to have a very good reputation!

I have never owned a new float before..... :D

7. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Im a serial nosey parker when it comes to floats, Im forever sticking my nose into peoples floats to check them out and asking questions LOL. Im looking at buying new at the end of the year.

I havent looked at floor construction on floats, when it comes to seriously buying that will also be a priority, but for now, I have been looking at features.

For Imperials, (bearing in mind I dont know anything about their floor construction) Great value for money, especially the double extended. They have the following features I want in a float, centre divider not fixed or semi fixed, its fully swingable. Stallion divider, that stops the horse from turning their heads around on themselves, but you can move the front portion so they can turn their heads into the next bay to look behind them.

Dont like the bum bars, too fiddly for my liking, and I dont like big bum bars. I prefer the smaller tube bum bars that lodge firmly under their bum cheek so they are less likely to drop their bums below it. I dont like the box fixed to the side. Its tiny and a waste of space as far as Im concerned. Plus it stops my inability to stand on the fender to plait a forelock LOL.

The ability to increase height easily is fantastic. I havent made up my mind about the different suspensions as yet. Both have their pros and cons.

Crisco floats- Love the feeling of largeness you get with them, but dont like their fixed centre divider. Also very immobile in getting them extended height wise. Love their low to the ground feature. Lets face it, I cant remember a time when I have needed to go 4wd with my float, so I dont need a float with high clearance that most come with.

Ifor Williams floats- Love their light weight and extras, but dont like their cramped feel. Due to keeping weight low, tie up rings cannot be attached due to using fibre glass.

For me, these are my priorities in regards to features, and thats based on floating lots of various horses over time. Extended height, swinging centre bar, stallion divider, chest bars that are height adjustable, bum bars of tube steel with easy to lock capabiltiies, front tack box, spare wheel attached at front of float, not side, tie up rings, strong ramp locking mechanism. (Had a look at the floats down at Kenwick Link/Royal St and 1 kick and the ramp would fall down) All the inside being able to be stripped out easily for floating horses that have never been handled at all, even halter broken.

At this stage I will probably go Imperial but get after market bum bars put on. I really like the german made Bockmann bum bars. Soooo easy to do up! One quick movement and they are in.

However, we are only in Feb, and the end of the year is a long way away, I may change my mind before then once I start looking at the really important stuff like floor construction ect. Hearing of someone elses 3 year old Australian made float having its floor fall through, Im still out on the Australian made is better decision. I havent heard of that happening with anyones imported float.

8. CMBR

CMBR Well-known Member

Just found an email from millsy.

Our 2 horse straight load tare weight is 1250 kgs.

9. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

I would go an Olympic over the imported floats any day.
    I have a Royal at the moment and when the time is right (in a year or 2) i will be upgrading to another new one.

10. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

I had trevor from imperial do a lot of work on my float. He is absolutely fantastic to deal with. :)* I simply dont love the imperials personally but I am sure they are a great float and very popular.
    Though I do think they have a light weight- maybe this is due to them being weighed before being fully fitted out or perhaps it is simply due to the materials used?

The millsys are heavy because they have a double reinforced steel plate under the floor. Extra piece of mind for horses not falling through! :(

Maybe anyone looking can look at oxford floats also?

11. melbentonka

melbentonka New Member

Hello, I know it's been a a while since this thread, but can you please email me about the Millsy float that you had/have? I want to buy a second hand one, but im a little nervous about the weight and quality of them.
    Thankyou

12. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I believe Millsy have gone out of business. #(
    Will PM you.

13. Bella85

Bella85 New Member

Olympic all the way! I brought an Olympic Royal (straight load, extended front, with front tack box and full height access doors) last year direct from Olympic in Adelaide - made with extras that I requested and I cannot fault it -tows like a dream and plenty of room. The only thing I would recommend is to have yards custom built rather than the ones that can be brought from Olympic. Good luck!!

14. LNT

LNT Well-known Member

have a look at the xplorer floats, they look pretty good.....