Millsy Horse Floats..... Opinions please.

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by biscay, Feb 24, 2012.

1. biscay

biscay Well-known Member

Hi... well very quietly finally after 2 years the house has sold and I can now regain some sort of life back after the divorce........

And I have just bought a new pony... its Wombats yearling sister (okay not truly sister as by same Sire not Dam... but sister enough for me)

So I have decided that I will need a float since I sold mine along with Wombat to be able to move out....

I am looking at the Millsy deluxe straight two load ( sorry I personally am not a fan of the angles).... so fors and against please ...... and anything extra to keep eye out for.???

Obviously if there is anything really totally bad you would like to say please pm me.....

I will get it without the back pole going straight to the ground on the divider as I do not like those for safety reasons....

Any other floats around that price range that you perhaps prefer and why?

2. madison

madison Well-known Member

I've had a good look at one and they aren't fitted out to well and are very heavy. I think there are better options in the imported floats, have a look at the Apache Floats they are in the same price range

3. madison

madison Well-known Member

I take that back I just had a look and the Apache Floats are near enough to the same weight

4. Sallie

Sallie Well-known Member

Unless you have a 4WD I would not even look at them, very heavy even for the basic float, I would be waiting for a second hand Rowville or Tender to come up for sale.

Keep it in Australia - Australian made all the way for me

5. Dusty Road

Dusty Road Well-known Member

I can't find a weight any where for the Millsy floats. BUT can I ask, when you are looking at weight, does that include all the "extras" that Millsy include as standard, such as water tanks, rug racks, tack boxes etc. Most of your Australian floats add these things as extras, so would not be included in their advertised weight.

6. ArBeeBar

ArBeeBar Active Member

Biscay - Congratulations on your new pony!! How exciting :D. It's so wonderful to see that things have turned positive for you :)*

7. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

When you are looking at weights it should include all extras, but bear in mind that you should also need to factor in weights that are not included, such as water in the water tank. Water weighs alot, but when I was looking at a float recently, the importer could not tell me what the added weight was when the tank was full................................

8. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Thats pretty dense of the importer - if its a 100L tank, then it will weigh 100kg when full ';'

I thought everyone knows that the weight of water is 1L = 1kg

9. Que Sera Sera

I didnt know that kiraspark. Thats going to make it far easier to calculate weight next time. Cheers :D

10. Dusty Road

Dusty Road Well-known Member

I don't think I was clear in what I was saying (I do that all the time :( )

With a lot of the imported floats they include things like rug racks and tack boxes as standard, so when you look at their advertised weights these "extras" are included. However for a lot of your Australian made floats things such as rug racks, tack boxes etc are not standard they are extras, so when you look online at the floats they will advertise the weight without them, but of course when you add them to your float you will increase the weight.

So while some of the imported floats may seem heavier on first look, perhaps they are not.

I don't know if this is the case because I have not closely looked at it, just food for thought :)

11. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I think you'll find it's more the other way around Dusty Road.
    Take the Imeprials for instance. The weight they have etched on the compliance plate is the weight of the float before it was kitted out with dividers, rug racks etc. People I know have been caught out thinking their was vehicle legal to tow their float with 2 horses in it, only to put it over a weigh bridge and find how wrong they were. When they confronted the agent for Imperial about it, they were told that it was standard practice to weigh a float before fit out. Since when ??

It's Australian made all the way for me.
    I bought and Aussie made float that is smaller than many of the extended imports on the road and yet when you read the specs, it weighs more than the chinese ones because he weight includes all the fittings and extras ;)

12. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

I dont have a 'millsy' or 'apache' branded float but I have one made by the same manufacturers. What I can tell you is I had a hell of a job getting it licensed over here but overall it is a pretty good float. Yes they are heavy (mine over weighbridge 1040kg) but since I have a 4wd it really doesnt seem to matter. It travels well on the road and is nice and roomy as well as padded for the horses. The cupboards at the front are handy also. Tack/rugs etc. I must say the finishing work on the floats is not so crash hot- paintwork etc is not the greatest quality ever but realistically you get what you pay for.

13. sandy81

sandy81 Active Member

I have a Millsy, the same that you are considering. Will PM you

14. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I just tried to google Millsy floats, and kept coming back to this thread???

I was wondering what price range the float you are considering buying falls within?

If it is anywhere close to the Olympic's price range wise, I would go for the Olympic. You will never have a problem re-selling it if need be and I have found them to be superb floats.

Also, please make sure your division of assests and settlement are all done (with your divorce) as you would not want 'him' to be able to lay any claim to your float down the track.

Congrats on selling the house....on wards and up wards from here aye?**)

15. Fezzie

Fezzie Guest

Ok, I'm probably gonna confuse everyone here (including myself! Lol!) but just because you have a 4WD that can tow, say, 3000kg - doesn't mean you can load your float up to 3000kg :)

The gross weight you can put on your float (and the tare) should be written on the plate on the drawbar. So, if you're float weighs 750kg, and the gross is 2000kg - you can put 1250kg of horse on. If you add extras, like rug racks and water tanks - that is all EXTRA weight and has to be added onto the tare (reducing the gross) weight of the float - reducing how much horse you can then put on ;)

The towing capacity of the car means nothing if your float is overloaded - so towing with a 3000kg tow capacity car is still uninsured and illegal if the float weighs 2500kg and is 500kg overweight - make sense? Clear as mud? :p

Also, I was under the impression that the gross weight on the drawbar of the float will not include any extra stuff - unless is it specifically stated ';'

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2012
  16. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

Not sure why you quoted me on this one. Personally I am well aware and understand both tare and aggregate weight. I went through hell to get everything right on the float much because of these two. (i.e breakaway brakes. heavy load tyres, etc.)

I dont see how you'd load a double with 3000kg- its not like you can fit 6 horses on right ? :p

My patrol will tow 3500kg. Overall. Float- 1100kg with yards.
    2 small/medium horses 500kg max each.

WAY under the limit. Plus we have electric brakes(and breakaway) so our towing package is one of the safest on the road.

Sure people need to educate themselves about these things and I wouldnt want to see a millsy float with two horses towed by a little SUV or a commodore for example.

17. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

ClubIgnite, I get what Fezzie is trying to say.

What is the GVM of your float? If you look at the rego papers, I bet it is only 2000kg. Most standard 2 horse doubles are. Doesnt matter that your car can tow 3500kg. The float is only manufactured to carry 2000kg which includes its own weight.

18. pso

pso Gold Member

lol- alot of the floats are weighed before the floors are put in too ;)

So many people get caught up on the cars towing capacity- but dont know that the average 2 horse float (agg 2000kg) isnt able to carry 2 large horses :}

19. Que Sera Sera

What Fezzie was trying to say is regardless of your car's towing capacity, if the FLOAT is only rated to 2000kgs then you have the float weight of 1100kg, leaving you only 900 for horses. So two 500kg horses WILL put you over weight and uninsured and illegal by 100kg. It's to do with your float axle capacities, nothing to do with your car capacities.

Fezzie, tell Mr Fezzie, I learned my lessons well

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  20. biscay

biscay Well-known Member

Honestly thank you so much to all of you for replying. It really helps to see other peoples opinions and views. I must admit I hadnt even thought about the whole weight of the float, but being the basic without the extras on... so there you go !!!!

I am towing with a Pajero so that side of things is fairly okay, but I still do not want a really heavy float purely just for diesel costs and obviously wear and tear on my beloved car.

I have done a lot more research and have decided to perhaps take a bit longer and look for a second hand Discovery or Tender Deluxe ( or Olympic ). I had an Olympic which I sold to finance my divorce etc. They wont sell it back ( LOL I hope you are reading this you meanies haha - dont worry I love the person I sold my float to so all is good).

As for the settlement side of things, dont worry. That is all fine and has been signed sealed and delivered through a lawyer and the courts so he has no claims on anything in that regards.

And to those that Pm'ed me... Thanks :) Your input was valuable and certainly has helped me steer in a different direction....

BUT please keep going with the whole what to look for in floats. I guess I am looking now (have decided to add a little more to the budget) up to the 15K mark. What I would like is extended ( baby is warmblood but dont suspect she will get big but ... I want one extended lol ). I would like the front tack storage with access from front. And would prefer full height doors on both sides. These arent really necessary but certainly preferred....

Soooo keep going with the ideas..... :D