Melbourne Cup

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Kyara, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Boo's Eclipse

Boo's Eclipse Well-known Member

Big bumma, That was my no. 1 pick!!!

2. Kyara

Kyara Well-known Member

How many horses have been injured?? Or become lame?

3. Jez

Jez Gold Member

About an equal amount of stress horses go through to win ribbons or bottles of wine #(.

Im starting to get mail through which is kinda ironic seeing im not here so im relying on the insider to put my bets on oncourse at flemington...

At this stage im liking Mad Rush (Oliver Factor doesnt hurt either)...Profound Beauty (Dermot Weld doesnt bring a horse over for nothing, look at his past record 2/3 attempts at bringing a runner over and winning) Cest Le Geurre and Septimus..Zipping may just do something and Master Oreilly is mums pick although im not sure about the backup. Nom De Jeur gets the nod from the doctor.

I got a REALLY good tip in the tenth but im keeping that one to myself.

4. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

I'm going for

Mad Rush ( love that name! LOL)
    Zipping
    Septimus

:D :D

Jez oh come on!...........You gotta tell :D sharing is caring! PMSL

5. Tristan_Rose

Tristan_Rose New Member

I'm not betting... Every time I place a bet the darn thing loses!

6. stormie

stormie Well-known Member

well i couldn't pick so i just picked all of the grays.

7. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

I'm thinking I'm not going with Septimus too much Buzz internationals with that much buzz always seem to disappoint plus the wah wahing about the track is getting annoying hello this is Aus of course the course is going to be firmer than back home.

8. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Hey I waaaa waaaaa about tracks being firm too......spent the last 5 years chasing soft tracks! its about preserving your horses legs. Being born in Aus doesnt mean your horse likes or can run well (and run again) on hard tracks! And im just talkin metro and prov here in WA......

If i bought a horse from UK Irelend japan nz where ever or across a state border to have a crack at the holy grail.....id be waaa waaaa-ing a lot louder than i normally do here.

9. go the horses

go the horses Active Member

I'm keeping my eye on Septimus, Nom du Jeu, Barbaricus and Littorio. Should be a good race, it's a shame about all the injuries!

10. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

Yellowstone waas officially scratched this afternoon ... So field down to 22 (Zarita scratched this morning).

11. intendeli

intendeli Well-known Member

i am going for littorio simply because there is also a lovely warmblood stallion out there with the same name :)

am also pondering the idea of going to ascot tomorrow when it is going to be cold ... or sitting in my lounge room watching all the action on my TV -- except i will miss some of the other kind of action at ascot -- and the potato farmers horse race in the fifth - i think . . .

hmmmm .

12. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  13. Chelsea

Chelsea Active Member

well im going for
    Mad Rush
    Nom Du Jeu
    Septimus

14. Jez

Jez Gold Member

For listed races yes Speedshot, this is the norm...when entries open you find theres always a couple of hundred..ive had a horse nom'd for the perth cup made it thru to second round of acceptances then ballotted out...they have to show decent form in lead up races to make the final cut. I.E - as D.Oliver said, Mad Rush placed perfectly for a lead up race to the cup. As the acceptances get closer the cost goes up. For a perth cup nom its $200 for first noms...melbourne cup late noms can be monumental in the 5 figures but if you have a horse that you think is in contention and are prepared to pay the late acceptance fee its still up to the handicappers etc to decide if they will accept your nomination. Nominations for listed races are non refundable. Keeps the fiels relatively 'honest' in all runners being of what should be a similar calibre of horse so you dont have some bush maiden running.

15. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

hey Jez it's ok to not run your horse and look after it etc etc thats actually good but my problem is with the wingeing to the media it's a bit lame.

16. samm

samm Gold Member

Scratchings this morning
    take out Yellowstone and Zarita.
    Track is officially rated Dead !
    I'm off to the TAB soon to put my bets on.
    Good luck everyone :D

17. PINTO1980

PINTO1980 Gold Member

What time is the actual race suppose to run today????

18. samm

samm Gold Member

3pm Melbourne time which is 1pm here.

19. PINTO1980

PINTO1980 Gold Member

Kool thanks:)

20. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Theres five track ratings Flicka - I guess the best way to explain it is usually fast is a bit hard, slow means a bit deep or wet/muddy, dead means thats is has no bounce or has sods of given that its a bit waterlogged etc - heres a table which sets it out better than i can explain it lol.

Category
    Scale
    Description
    FAST
    A dry hard track
    GOOD
    A firm track
    GOOD
    Ideal track with some give
    DEAD
    Track with give, better side of Dead
    DEAD
    Significant amount of give, worse side of Dead
    SLOW
    A mildly rain affected track, better side of Slow
    SLOW
    Rain affected, worse side of Slow
    HEAVY
    Soft track, just into heavy range
    HEAVY
    Very soft, genuine heavy
    HEAVY
    Very soft and wet, heaviest category

Hmm.....if your looking for value have a look at the roughies.....be patriotic and chuck a few bucks on Guyno, hes a west Aussie. According to Patrick (my youngest who has a great way of pickin outsiders) hes liking Bauer and Baracus).​

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008