meadow vs oaten hay

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by snoopydoo, Jan 11, 2009.

1. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

Will change back to Oaten ..............I dont trust the feed shed guys they really have no clue where it comes from or if it has been tested. Thanks for the response and advice :)

2. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Just curious... doesn't oaten hay 'heat' TB's and can cause pony's to founder if given too much?

Edit: Gonna change my name to shewhoisclueless

3. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

We grow our own meadow hay, so no probs here lol. :)
    But I do agree, if you don't know where it comes from and don't know if it has been tested, it can be a bit of a risk. Also depends on what kind of hay you can get in your area... ;) :))

4. GarrynGirl

GarrynGirl New Member

horses/ponies founder because of the high sugar content. If you soak the hay before feeding (around 1 hour should do it but I soak my night hay in the morning and visa versa) this leeches out the sugar content dramatically.

Another thing I have noticed with oaten hay is that if I don't get to soak it the next day Casper has sloppy poop.

Casper is in virtually a dry lot because of mycotoxin poisioning and the soaking/not soaking is the only changes he gets in his feed.

He is on Speedi-beet, vitamins & minerals, sunflower seeds (20gms per feed), his precious toxin binder and the oaten hay. Salt lick available at all times.

Can't comment on the heating aspect, I haven't experienced this.

5. tiamo

tiamo New Member

Hi Garryngirl, is the toxin binder Toxdefy? I have used it a lot and found it great during spring and times of lush grass but also for rich hay, have found my horses are a lot more chilled and less reactive to changes in there feed.

Highly recommend it, especially to foundery ponies.

6. GarrynGirl

GarrynGirl New Member

Yes it is Tox-Defy. I did have another brand but it was like pulling teeth to get it out of the company because they don't sell it in small quantities.

I wasn't sure if I could mention the brand of toxin binder here. I am relatively new here.

Tox-Defy is relatively new in Australia. I must admit that I have only recently discovered it (mid January) so I am still trialling it. The other one from Hygain worked but since commencing the Tox-Defy I haven't really been able to ride with heat and storms.

Casper reverted when I extended his paddock (took 12 days to go from brilliant to abysmally appallingly bad again) so it will be interesting to see how he goes on his first ride once the heat settles here in NSW. It can take a horse up to 3 months to recover and seeing as Casper has had this for 4 years I am taking it easy with him, he has been a sick horse.

Sorry for the long answer but I wanted to let you know I am still in the initial stages of using this product. Will let everyone know how he goes when I next get to ride. I am hoping that he will be as good as he was on the Hygain....had a few weeks of brilliance, calmness and just a wonder to ride.

Glad it is working for you tiamo