Maxisoy v's Fibressential

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Little Bean, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Little Bean

Little Bean Well-known Member

Just looking for some experiences from people who have used both and how they compared? Some of the things I'm interested in knowing what you found are:

Did you feed more fibressential than maxisoy given the fibressential is lighter?
    What was the manure like on each feed?
    Did you notice a change in condition on either?

And anything else you may have noticed :)

:))

2. pso

pso Gold Member

I had a limited trial
    I fed the same dry weight
    They didn't eat it
    I went back to maxisoy :)))

3. Little Bean

Yup same... :rolleyes:

4. Kodas Karen

Kodas Karen New Member

I've been reluctant to reply because my answer doesn't fit the criteria of the question, but I'm hoping I can be of some help in my answer.

I have only used the maxisoy, and I was dubious about it before I started using it. I am mega impressed with 2 things about it.

1. It WORKS!

2. It's economical.

I originally used it a bit to put on weight once I'd upped the amount. I had Koda on 'A LOT' for about 3 or 4 weeks and she began to gain weight within the first day believe it or not! Once she was of healthy weight, I feed her a small amount daily cause she loves it and for maintenance.

Hope this helps.

Karen.

5. Little Bean

Thanks Karen :)

I've been using Maxisoy for years and had the Fibressential recommended for my old girl as she is very "loose" and my GF's old girl got more solid on the Fibressential.

I bought a bag introduced it slowly got to the point of only Fibressential and no Maxisoy and the old girl and my filly both went "you can take that back" lol

So now back on the Maxisoy and happy ponies :p

Might also note that the other five horses didn't care either way but I'm not feeding 60 different types of feed ;)

6. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Hey Little Bean, have you tried Protexin for your old girl? Our old bloke Bob can occasionally get runny manure and I find Protexin combined with the maxisoy helps.

7. Little Bean

Hey Noelle, no I haven't but that's good info to have.

Cheers :)

8. Kodas Karen

Kodas Karen New Member

Thanks Little Bean....first time for a reply to me sinceI joined Stockies...thanks!

9. sprintman

sprintman Active Member

Went from Maxisoy, to Maxisoy and Fibressential, to Fibressential only. Recent seminar confirmed for us we made the right decision.

10. Little Bean

More info Sprintman?

11. sprintman

sprintman Active Member

Now on Pryde's EasiFibre better again it appears. Harder to get Pryde's products than Hygain though.

12. Little Bean

Hey Sprintman :) was kinda hoping you'd share some info from the seminar ;)

13. sprintman

sprintman Active Member

To much to cover but super fibres and the Oz/Kiwi fascination with chaff comes to mind. Most we know use/used Fibressential instead of chaff now and a few now moving to EasiFibre. Noticeable move on to Pryde's over Hygain lately, the pro showies know a thing or two

14. Rosinante

Rosinante Active Member

I haven't used maxisoy but have used fibre essential and my horse loved it and seemed to do well on it. I am not using it atm as it's too difficult to source where I am so have gone back to chaff :)

15. sprintman

sprintman Active Member

A poor substitute

16. Rosinante

Rosinante Active Member

Maybe, but I only need it to carry vit/min supplements for now. Horse is on pasture 24/7

17. sprintman

sprintman Active Member

That was our thinking until a seminar talked about 'super fibres'. Horse looks much better now.

18. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

What are 'super fibres'? Top
    While forages are well-known sources of fibre, other feedstuffs are considered 'super fibres' because they have energy levels much higher than typical forages. The energy levels in super fibres are slightly less than those found in cereal grains such as oats and barley. Super fibres are, however, safer to feed than cereal grains because their fibrous nature reduces the likelihood of grain overload.

Types of 'super fibres' Top
    The most commonly fed super fibres in the United States are beet pulp and soy hulls. These feeds are more digestible than traditional fibre sources. For instance, hay is 40-60% digestible, depending on its quality, and beet pulp and soy hulls are 80% and 75% digestible, respectively.

In Australia, lupins are becoming a popular ingredient in rations. Lupins increase the energy density of a ration, due in part to their highly digestible fibre content. Other advantages of lupins include exceptional palatability and low cost.

Beet pulp is a by-product of the sugar industry. After the sugar has been extracted from sugar beets, the fibrous portion of the sugar beet is dehydrated. Dried beet pulp is often used as an ingredient in textured feeds by feed manufacturers, or it can be added by the handful to a premixed concentrate to boost the fibre content of a ration.

Differences of opinion abound as to whether beet pulp should be soaked in water prior to being fed. Some horsemen believe it is an absolute necessity. Others have never bothered with wetting beet pulp and have not encountered any problems. When a horse is reluctant to drink, offering soaked beet pulp is one way of encouraging a horse to ingest water.

The seed coats of soybean seeds are called hulls. The hulls are very much like the thin, skin-like structure that surrounds peas. Soy hulls are quite different than pods, and the two must not be confused.

Pods are typically left in the field following combining. Hulls are usually separated from the soybean during oil extraction. Following separation, the hulls can be toasted, ground, and blended with soybean meal to lower the crude protein content of the meal. Soy hulls are low in lignin (indigestible fibre) and are therefore more digestible than hulls from other grains or seeds.

Less popular than beet pulp and soybean meal, almond hulls are another super fibre. Although they are used predominantly in cattle feeds (both dairy and beef), almond hulls can have a place in horse rations. Before dehydration, almond hulls are similar in texture to the edible fleshy portion of a peach that surrounds the stone. Once dried, almond hulls are as fibrous as high-quality grass hay.

Benefits of feeding 'super fibres' Top
    Horsemen feed super fibres for a variety of reasons. Some horses will not or cannot eat large enough quantities of hay to fulfill fibre requirements. Dental problems, for example, may keep aged horses from consuming sufficient hay or pasture. Caretakers should offer fibre in other forms.

Horses on diets composed largely of concentrates (grains) may be unwilling to eat large amounts of hay. In these instances, fibre can be introduced into the concentrate as beet pulp or soybean hulls. Due to their high energy content, super fibres are also ideal for horses that have difficulty maintaining weight.

Some performance horses also benefit from super fibres, especially those asked to perform at moderate speeds for long distances such as endurance horses. In addition to being a steady energy source for horses, super fibres help maintain intestinal health. Consumption of fibre can increase water intake, creating a holding tank of water and electrolytes in the hindgut. This reservoir may prevent dehydration and electrolyte depletion during an exercise bout. Endurance horses, for instance, have only limited time to eat during a ride. An appetizing, fibre-rich meal, such as a slurry made of beet pulp, wheat bran, and grain, can supply the horse with sufficient energy and water to remain competitive.

Horses that do not tolerate diets high in starch may also benefit from super fibres. Horses afflicted with recurrent exertional rhabdomyolysis (RER) or equine polysaccharide storage myopathy (EPSM) often find relief when fed diets low in starch. When super fibres are fed to these horses, much of the energy necessary to support exercise is derived from fibre and not starch.

Augmenting the diets of horses with super fibres will increase the energy content of rations. An added boon to the use of super fibers is the positive effects they have on preserving gastrointestinal health.

19. sprintman

sprintman Active Member

Can't imagine feeding Speedi-Beet/Fibre-Beet unsoaked.