Mare chucking a tanty

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by LNT, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Diana

Diana Gold Member

It's just a thought bought on by Paddy's Girl...

Perhaps if you have a trainer who knows how to "do" hobbles, you could hobble train her at home in a comfortable environment - JUST to teach her she can't just move her feet because she wants to :p and teach her some patience.

Or even just tie her up for an hour a day or something like that to teach her patience. I tied my horse up for a couple of hours once and our next ride was amazing! And I've noticed that every time I've tied my horse up for a bit, then ridden, he seems to concentrate easier :eek:

Could be worth a try **)

2. SSAPH

SSAPH Well-known Member

Good luck looking into it... hobbles are not permitted at endurance rides... I raised a motion at the WAERA AGM last year to have this removed from the AERA Guidelines, it was accepted and passed at WA level to progress to AERA level for consideration.

To get this to AERA level I wrote a detailed paper outlining the other equestiran codes, who allow & sometimes insist that horse must wear them whiule at competition (stallions). Additionally I believe that as an owner I should have the right to ensure the safety of MY horse if required and if that means wearing hobbles (as the horse is trained to do) then I should be allowed to.

The motion went before AERA at the last meeting as was rejected, and after reading the AERA minutes was extremely disappointed to see the comments Use of hobbles is unacceptable and show poor horsemanship skills.

It is quite ironic that the horse containment guidleines do not prevent you from leaving the horse tied up for the duration of time while at a ride, nor does it prevent you from leaving it on a float for this period, but using hobbles which allow the horse to still move around is a demonstaion of 'poor horsemanship'' ';'

3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

How ridiculous:mad: My pony seems to think that is hay bag and feed bin are not constantly tended to at shows that then it is ok to dig to China:( He will be hobble trained and then I will take them with me (not to endurance ;) ). Beats the float tipping on top of him..OR ME...when the wheel falls in the hole**)

4. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

I would rather horses that pull back and career around at shows were hobbled!

5. Diana

Diana Gold Member

That's a bit ridonkulous...

6. LNT

LNT Well-known Member

have to agree with the others a properly trained "hobbled" horse is a much safer option in alot of circumstances........bummer its not allowed at endurance #(

i think i will try tying her to the float at home and leaving her to think about it for a while.....might teach her some patience.

7. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

To me it sounds like she is just anticipating the day. She is getting nervous / excited about what she KNOWS is coming. Do you ever take her out places in the float when you don't do an endurance ride. I say trick her ;) give her a break from endurance. Take her to the beach, inhand shows or somewhere she stands in a yard and the day doesn't end with endurance.

Honestly popping a calming paste in her will do her nothing but good. Make every experience good and they will learn for the next :) I have used triptaphan several times with good results

8. LNT

LNT Well-known Member

i think you are right Leti loves Elmo, thats good advice actually might take a picnic down to the 50acres one sunny day and let her stand around in the yards for a couple of hours, I do take her there to ride around but havent yarded her, and we do go to the beach in summer, but again we just come straight home after our swim.

was thinking of giving her some time out from endurance and hoping that she may "forget" what its all about lol.......although i think she's far to clever for that!

thanks again :))

9. DNDKatherine

DNDKatherine New Member

I've heard sodium bromide is good for calming? They can stay on it constantly and vets say it has no long term effects. Haven't used it myself, but I know someone that has and their horse is much better off.

As well, perhaps you could get some halter lessons yourself that will teach you how to deal with when she walks all over you. I know that when my boy is upset when tied or in his yard, and he can be very intimidating and pushy at 17HH, I will collect him and do some halter work. It always calms him down and gets his focus on me instead of his surroundings. Once I'm done, I put him back where he was and not a peep!

10. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

It's actually potassium bromide, and yes it works and very very well!

I believe they can stay on it long term (up to 12 months) with no ill effects, but the initial 'spike' calming effect wears off as the body becomes acclimatised/used to the substance. It's calming effect works better when it is used intermittently, like the night before a stressful episode of travel for example.

11. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

I was always told to use potassium bromide for 3 days before you want it to kick in-try it out first tho have seen horses go the opposite way and completely loop out on the stuff! As for the hobbles debate-what a load of crap, I'd be mightly pissed off if someone told me I couldn't hobble my horse up! Even hobbled the mole up at PC once-got a few looks but nobody went there....

12. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

I guess it depends on the horse Pockets, my experience has been that 2 decent scoops takes all the horny and aggro away in one dose, but if you had a fairly robust sort it might take a few days to settle into the system I guess.

13. DNDKatherine

DNDKatherine New Member

Ah yes that's the one! Thanks for the correction, Hen! :)

14. LNT

LNT Well-known Member

ok so potassium bromide can you buy that at the stockfeeders?

and Hen would i just give it the morning before we travel to a ride so it has time to take effect for the hours she's yarded the afternoon/night before the race?

what do you think about tryptophane (sp?) paste? i have a friend who has tried this and seemed to help, apparently you give it 4 hours before you want it to kick in?

15. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Yep! It's about $33 a tub, and yeah you just give 1-2 scoops in the feed the night before the competition, and adjust as necessary. It is not swabbable.

OK, calming pastes - just my opinion and my opinion only lol - but I find that unless the horse's nervousness is due to a B vitamin deficiency that tryptophane and the like won't help, or won't assist dramatically like PB. I don't doubt thought that there is a significant placebo effect for the owner of the horse!!!! :D

If you want to try vit B supps to help chill her out in the longer term and address any potential deficiency, try brewer's yeast - it's cheap and as a bonus is a prebiotic. I give about 45g a day to everything lol, I LOVE the stuff!!

Chamomile flowers in the feed also can help, I haven't used them but I know others who have and swear by them, but they ARE swabbable, unfortunately!

16. LNT

LNT Well-known Member

ok great thanks, i dont think its a vit B deficiancy as she has equilibrium blue every day, i will def try the pB, for a booster!!

thanks again :))

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  17. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

Have PM'd you LNT :)

18. Waler

Waler New Member

Slightly of the track here, But my daughters mare starts of great. Ties up well, Last Sunday rode out for 2-3kms well no issues.

As other horses started to trot past went nuts. Bucking , rearing total b__tch.
    She had her paddock companion and still didnt give acrap.
    Took ages to calm her, we dismounted a walked about 3kms as daughter was to scared to get back on.
    When every one had passed I convinced here to remount, horse was better but still anxious.

So question is. Do we try any of the above remedys and how soon to kick in.
    Also planning to take her out more in the Holidays, but really would like a group of horses and I dont know that many people !
    Suggestions please!!';'

19. Sweet Arab

Sweet Arab New Member

got to love mares

at endurance in some of the spring rides my mare would not run about in her yard but she would scream her head of all night it was because of the stallions she got over it . but she is awesome to ride out there when she is looking for that boy.

20. LNT

LNT Well-known Member

do you have your daughters horse on any supplements whaler? maybe could try any of the b1 supplements out there, i have my girl on equilibrium blue which is high dose b1, i also know that soothers nerves and stress works very well for my friends mare.

i havent tried the potassium bromide yet, but will when the endurance season starts as i am sure she will probably play up just from the pure excitement of knowing she is going to "race" :eek:

and yep gotta love mares sweet arab hahaha!!