Mare chucking a tanty

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by LNT, Oct 19, 2011.

1. LNT

LNT Well-known Member

Hello

hoping for some advice with this problem.

i do endurance riding, this is our second year and the last 2 rides we went too my mare chucked a massive tanty in her yards (nothing previous to this she stood quietly and happily for long periods) its like she has just become impatient and doesnt want to be in her yard, she will rear and buck and race about like a nutcase pushing on the yards, i take her out and walk her about but she pushes and pulls all over the top of me, this is not an issue at home her ground manners are really good. I am thinking she now knows what its all about and just wants to get out there and get going (she's very competitive).

other than giving her a calming suppliment, which to me seems silly as this behaviour doesnt happen at home and i dont really want to use triptophane paste (sp) any ideas??

someone suggested taking her out of the yards and lunging the cr*p out of her at the last ride she was so bad ....maybe not a bad idea :eek:

help please :eek:

2. PF

PF Active Member

Hi LNT, can be a pain and hard to fix. The only suggestion I can give is run a hot wire around the top of the yards and electrify (so she knows she can't push the yards) and then ignore her. Hopefully if she doesn't get attention from the behaviour she will pack it in. Is it unprovoked or does something happen to set it off? My old gelding used to do that if another ride went out - eg if we were doing an 80 and the 160km riders went out - he was a nightmare and it got to the stage where I wouldn't take him to an event if there was a bigger ride (therefore leaving before us) than we wanted to do.

Good luck fixing the problem.

3. LNT

LNT Well-known Member

hey PF thanks for your reply the first time it was because she was left behind her mate went out to do the 80km we were doing the 40km that was at Wagin, the next ride at Highbury seemed unprovoked she was standing nicely for an hour or so then just went bonkers for no apparent reason, this was in the afternoon before the ride so it wasnt cause she'd been left behind.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  4. PF

PF Active Member

Not able to suggest much other than what I already have - make your yards as "containing" as possible and ignore her when she does it. I sympathise with you as it is an absolute pain and unnecessary worry for you. Last thing you need when all you really want to do is rest and be ready for the long ride ahead. I have always been lucky when any of mine have been chucking a tanty I have had someone with me who has been able to watch them while I sleep (or whatever). Wouldn't be so lucky nowadays...seems I am on my own more often than not.

5. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Same as PF said. Have her well contained and let her get over it. I sometimes find if you give them a bigger yard area with electric they actually settle better. Seems to stop that whole claustrophobia thing however it can give them a better run up to jump out:D.

I also think that they tune into us at rides. If we get tense or stressy then they play up. Have a few chardy's if she plays up and chill out:)). Then see what happens.

The worst thing you can do is pander to her or fuss over her. It just reinforces the fact she thinks she needs to be anxious.

6. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Ignore her.
    Dont take her out and walk her about, thats just a 'win' in her book.

7. LNT

LNT Well-known Member

thanks for your suggestions i will try the electric and see how we go, GTD i probably was a bit stressed after Wagin wondering if she was going to do it again so i may have passed that on to her ';'

we wont be doing a ride until next year now so maybe some rescue remedy for both of us cant hurt lol

8. Gecko

Gecko Active Member

I havn't read the rest of the posts but my mare always chucks tantys! like a child, b**ch switch i call it ;)

9. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Oh dear - I think I might be starting to join the pain brigade !!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a very faint possibilty that the horse is stressing and this can produce lactic acid and muscle pain - Try feeding about 30 gramms of bi-carb or use a buffering agent .
    I really think the horse needs to get a grip but it is worth a try.

10. PF

PF Active Member

I believe bi-carb is swabbable isn't it?

11. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Not at the stated dose.

12. pso

pso Gold Member

Think the allowable bi-carb levels are different for endurance?

13. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Bi carb is natural in the body and an active horse would absorb that amount in no time at all. Bi-carb was listed because it is a masking agent and in racehorses I have dealt with this level passed the test no problem so unless they have lowered the level in the past couple of years it should be fine

14. LNT

LNT Well-known Member

so do i just give the bicarb a few days prior to the race? or does it have to be an ongoing thing please?

I'm happy to give anything a go if it helps. I personally think she's just being a snotbag and wants her own way she's an alpha mare and very willful.

15. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

We feed about 1/2 teaspoon in the evening feed - First lot is a bump up and then we keep them at low level all the time - It is not a magic potion and will only help if the behaviour is due to muscle cramps. You can use a neutraliser but we are not sure about the swabbing for this - have spoken to two vets who say should be fine but would like to be more certain first.
    To be honest it sounds like the mare is just being a mol and products such as Moody Mare mix may help. The behaviour could be hormonal or just plain naughty - it is very difficult to say on a forum. If the behaviour is dangerous you may need to look at more serious drugs and just take her but don't compete. It is a terrible problem to have but the cure often turns out to be simple - Once you find it !!! I would talk to supplement suppliers and your vet.
    I have a mare who would go mad in a yard and it turned out that if we didn't feed her any wheat products she was fine but every horse is dfferent.

16. LNT

LNT Well-known Member

ok thanks, i might start her on soothers nerves and stress my friend has her competition mare on this.........might be enough to just chill her out a bit....fingers crossed.

thanks for all your comments **)

17. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

LNT what feed have you got her on as far as protien? I put my mare on barley for the first time three days ago and she has turned into a total maggot#(. Did 20km on her yesterday and holy guaucamole what a ride. She shied, was heavy on the hand and completely feral. Came back in with a recovered heart rate of 44 yet week before was coming in at 36. Bracing myself for the 15km we are doing tonight:p.

Maybe cut her heating feed back a few days before the comp and see how she goes.

18. Paddys girl

Paddys girl Well-known Member

hobbles would help.

19. LNT

LNT Well-known Member

hey GTD its not the feed she gets a quarter scoop of hygain release when in work, chaff, carrots and minerals thats it, and she doesnt misbehave at home when training, i really think its just the over excitement at the rides.

hobbles hmmmm thats interesting, might look into that as well.

20. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

It may be that she needs more food - lots of bulk or increase concentrate - hungry mares can be right >.................. !!!!