Mane and Tail Care?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Diablo Equine Services, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Diablo Equine Services

Diablo Equine Services Well-known Member

Hi all,

as you all know, my boy has a luscious mane...want to keep it that way!

I have just started rugging him with a combo - and as he wears a flyveil all the time anyway, have attached it to that to stop it slipping - anything else i can do?? special shampoos/products?

what about tail savers...what are they..what do they do?

2. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

A lot of people who show horses/ponies with long manes put "paddock plaits" in. Nice loose plaits along the mane:D There are piks somewhere on here of someone's minis with them, sorry , can't remember whose:D

3. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I have 2 mini's with manes way past the bottom of their neck/shoulder, also 2 part arabs & a stb with very long manes, at the mo i'm not doing anything special......
    But if showing, i wash the mane weekly & DONT use conditioner, use a hot oil treatment (QV Oil) instead, plait loosely & then rug.

Dont attack the neck to a halter/fly mask as it will rub, its needs to move without restriction.

Dont over-rug the neck.

Wash the rug/neck weekly, this is VERY important!

Keep the mane washed weekly & clean.

And feed a supplement like Copra, Oil for the coat/mane hairs.

4. Diablo Equine Services

ok,

im feeding him lots of oily stuff, and wash/change rugs every 3 days or so.

Will try the plaits :)

5. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Good luck.... :)
    Long mane/tails are just gorgeous if well kept. **)

6. Yarrabah Quarter Horses

Yarrabah Quarter Horses Well-known Member

Here is a link for Tail Savers index They are easy to use and require no rugs, straps or velcro but still allow mobility of the tail to swish the flies away. :))

7. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

I just leave them to be horses!

[​IMG]]
    This is my old mare with a short mane for her, when i sold her it was below her neck and she wasnt rugged all yr round and hardly ever washed- only occasionally in summer but then her mane and tail was thin so maybe it was easier to keep long?

My pony also has a thinnish mane and his is long at the moment- below his neck and he is only rugged over winter (as in end of june, july, aug, sept). He is washed occasionally throughout the yr and when rugged in winter it is mainly only at night except in torrential downpour in winter then an unlined waterproof for the day.

They are just fed oaten hay, chaff, lucerne and vitamins.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  8. wooki

wooki Well-known Member

tail savers are just wraps and bandages that go around the tail (mainly from the butt to the end of the dock) to prevent it from being rubbed out- alternativley you can just use a tail bag

for cal's mane as its quite weak in some places i just put in some leave in conditioner (it was too harsh for my hair lol) a few times a week its made a big difference

good luck :)

9. Yarrabah Quarter Horses

Yarrabah Quarter Horses Well-known Member

Wooki Tail Savers are not bandages and are not wrapped from the top of the tail. They are plaited into the tail below the dock :)*

10. Diablo Equine Services

mmm..ok, thanks guys :)

11. miniequine

miniequine Well-known Member

tail

Just a suggestion about tail plaits, if you plait tightly in the hot weather .it gets too hot close to the skin and will cause horse to try and rub it out, been there ,done that, had hair f all out from skin irritation, not a nice look.