making your own show browbands?

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Shandeh, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Shandeh

Shandeh Well-known Member

I have a plain black leather browband that came off my bridle when I was given my bling dressage browband, and I want to make something to stick on him for hacking. I know what colours I want - aqua, navy and silver - and I know how to make a sharkstooth browband, but there are a few things I need to know.

1. How do you make the little rosette things? I think they look so much better with them... Is there a pattern somewhere?
    2. How much ribbon am I going to need? I'm just going to go with satin, I can pick it up cheap at a local shop (I got 1m of red ribbon for $5, for Latte when he was going through his kicking stage)
    3. What's the best way of keeping them looking brand new?
    4. What's the best way to keep them together? Hot glue? Something else?

I just can't afford to buy a browband made for me by a professional specifically to my order, and I have the base browband, so I would like to make my own.

Thanks all :)

2. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

1. How do you make the little rosette things? I think they look so much better with them... Is there a pattern somewhere? What type of rosette? As far as I know the circular ones that most browbands have you make with a sewing machine and would be to difficult (browband makers buy them I think).. but the diamondy ones are easy.. This website is pretty good
    Step-by-step BROWBAND ROSETTES

2. How much ribbon am I going to need? I'm just going to go with satin, I can pick it up cheap at a local shop (I got 1m of red ribbon for $5, for Latte when he was going through his kicking stage)
    You need two metres of each colour ribbon.. 7mm wide works well
    3. What's the best way of keeping them looking brand new?
    I sprayed mine with scotchguard.. lasted ages
    4. What's the best way to keep them together? Hot glue? Something else?
    A good quality hot glue.. so skimp otherwise it just falls apart..

3. AnnieIvy

AnnieIvy Well-known Member

I have always wanted to start making my own because new onesare just so expensive.
    I have a link as well but I think it is the same one so I wont bother posting it :)

4. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

I've made quite a few..
    depends what type you want..

If it's anything besides a simple one than I'd just buy one haha.
    I loveeee Magic Browbands :)
    I know I've made my own bling ones before.. but by the time you buy the browband, ribbon, diamontes, flags etc etc etc than you could have bought one of Magics which looks waaaay better than anyone I could make anyway. The only ones I make now are the simple work browbands :) Nice and easy.

5. AnnieIvy

AnnieIvy Well-known Member

I just want something to class up my ride lol, I'm not a real bling person so simply plain ones would probably suit me better :)

6. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Them ones are really simple to make :)

Trying to find a pdf file I have on all the different patterns there are but I can't find it! grr

7. chanel

chanel Well-known Member

well the only thing i can answer is how to keep them looking brand new which is, only put it on a clean horse and use a browband cover ;)

8. kathyve

kathyve Active Member

I normally make a new one every show... love the change. Easy when you practice and practice some more. Just a note - I do not use hot glue as it get everywhere and things fall off when the wheather gets too hot... Just head down to spotlight and hit the ribbon section and/or there is a great website based in SA...

9. tammyprez

tammyprez Well-known Member

If only there was a "like" button :D

10. Shandeh

Thanks for the link Lauren :)

I really want a round frill one, my Grandma could probably do the stitching. She's brilliant with a needle and thread, makes quilts by hand and they're better than ones made with a machine. Although that said I do like the look of the star ones too, I just prefer the round ones. I wonder if Magic would make them for me in the colours I want and post them down if I paid her to?

Is there a diagram somewhere how to make a diamond pattern maybe? I mean I can make sharkstooth but I think diamond looks awesome.

Kathy that's a good point, what glue can I use then, that won't ruin the ribbon?

11. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Magic does sell all the stuff individually to make a browband so yeah you could buy the round rosettes in the colours you want from her.

The diamonds are extremely easy to make (I find them easier than shark teeth)

12. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

13. Lily

Lily Well-known Member

Shandeh, yes by all means drop me a line I can give you a hand and suply you a kit of bits and pieces to make whatever design you like and if you need me to do one little tricky bit for you, thats possible too!

In January we are launching a new area of the website which is a complete DIY area for you DIY-ers out there! My ribbon etc will be less expensive that buying it by the metre from spotlight... And tons and tons of bling to choose from (did I even need to say that, you lot know me and my bling 'problem')

14. Shandeh

Thanks Magic, my boy doesn't need the bling really but a little bit will be good. I'm a sucker for it too! My dressage browband is one of those Kieffer blingy ones, I use it for everything because it just adds that touch of sparkle. I'll shoot you a PM :)

Can't for the life of me find the browband I'm going to base it on though, and it would probably be good for me to keep one plain browband anyway. I might go pick up one from one of the horse shops.

Lauren that's very helpful, photographic guides always help me a lot more than just simple instructions.

ETA: I've found my browband and gone and bought some ribbon and glue. I've got aqua, navy, white and silver and I'm going to be making either a four colour diamond pattern or a sort of cross between diamond and sharkstooth methods that I was playing with that looks seriously epic.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010