Makeup for chestnuts

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by chante306, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Yentle, if the horse is very black around the eyes and muzzle I would only use clear makeup. But that's only because if it's already black, black makeup won't change it and it can be messy.
    I'd rather get clear makeup on me than black, so why use the black if it doesn't make a difference.

You can get a black makeup that is a stain and it will temporarily dye hairs black, but it does dry to a matt finish so it's not really ideal. The good thing is though that once it dries you can rub your hands all over it and you won't get any black on you.

Personally I would just dye the mane and tail to get rid of any sun bleached bits. If you go to the supermarket and buy the Just For Men range in the colour that you need, it's brilliant stuff and the best bit... it only takes 10mins for it to process and then you wash it off.

2. Yentle

Yentle Active Member

Thanks Bethy. I appreciate that!

3. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

What do you guys reccomend for a flea bitten grey?
    Shes a bit of a weird colour haha.
    Silver/white/black mane and tail *#)
    & what colour numnah?

4. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

Lauren,

Flynn is flea bitten and this is how I do him:

[​IMG]

Close up of his face, I am still learning how to do the make up :eek:

[​IMG]

Ps: experts if you have suggestions on how to improve him please do tell :D

5. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

What colour false tail do you use?
    I don't think i will bother buying one but as i'm not into hacking so won't ever use it.
    So black her legs even thought they are plain white?
    I'm guna shave her tail.

6. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

Flynn's false tail is a grey one (came with him when I bought him or I wouldn't have one - I'm not that into hacking :D)

I blacken his points because his is still dark on them, where you see black it is dark. if they where white I wouldn't.

I prefer the plaited tail over shaved, but that is just me :D

7. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Thanks, ok i prob won't black her legs than coz as far as i'm aware (will check tomorrow) they are plain white.
    I prefer plaited to however her tail is like a dunny brush atm (in the middle of growing out) so i can't plait it.. plus i suck at plaiting.

8. horse girl Jess

horse girl Jess Well-known Member

Ha! Sorry but that's the complete opposite to what I view hacking as. Even at top show (eg royals) you see wonky legged, over bent, hot headed horses still taking out broad sashes.

Someone once showed me a SHC booklet that had a break down of how everything was scored, behaviour and training paid little part in the end result. It's disappointing.

*slinks away*