Makeup for chestnuts

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by chante306, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Serenity

Serenity Well-known Member

No problem Beauvelour - I am happy to help.....I would use much the same thing as on a chestnut - black chalk & then something shiny (champion tails / alto light) but champion tails also does black make up - so for a grey I would suggest the blue-black one - but practice at home first.

Here is a picture of a "white" grey mare that I do make up on for shows....

[​IMG]

2. Beauvelour

Beauvelour Well-known Member

Thanks..... Your very good!! One thing i hate is seeing them packed on or not blended nicely!! Your pics are perfect lol

3. Serenity

LOL thanks... I cant stand unblended packed on makeup either!!:D

4. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Personally I think there is nothing worse than the fake dark legs on chestnuts.

I use different colours on my boy's legs depending on the colour of his coat. Sometimes it's brown, sometimes it's dark brown, sometimes I mix my own.

Here are a few photo's of my boy with leg makeup. Even though his coat is different colours, you can see that his legs are highlighted but still look the right colour...

bright chestnut
    [​IMG]

dark, almost liver chestnut
    [​IMG]

I use a not-yet-released product for face makeup these days.
    I won't use raven oil on the face. It's a leather dye and a carcinogenic which is not something that I want to put around the sensitive skin, right near their orifices (mouth and eyes), it's just not safe. Instead I use a new product that is completely safe (so safe you could eat it, smells pretty yummy too!!) or chalk and a clear dedicated horse makeup.

Beauvelour... for a steel grey it really depends on their coat. If he has dark points then I would darken those further. But if his knees/hocks are dark but then his lower leg lightens a bit I wouldn't darken the whole leg, just the knee's and hocks. If you can find some photo's of the gorgeous Party, you can see how Gretchen does his knee's and hocks, it's how to do the dark knees/hocks but lighter lower leg.

5. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

YAY serenity. you'll be pleased to know that i 'shark's tooth' everything nowadays.

haha/ still have to practise with makeup tho!

6. Serenity

Haha - that is fantastic:D

7. Its Party Time

Its Party Time Well-known Member

Well seen as how you asked so nicely Bethy haha Best 2 I could find without a copyright! Party has natural black points so I highlight them without extending them as you should not change or add any markings for a breed show! Whatever marks it says on the horses rego papers is how it should be shown imho!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Beauvelour

Ok Now im really hijacking..... (By the way Party always looks fantastic)
    Here is a pic of the grey. Like i said i have only just got him and it will be a while until were out and about. So he has quite dark legs i would still ravens oil them or use chalk?

[​IMG][/IMG]

9. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Brilliant, thanks Gretchen! I think how you do Party's makeup is a terrific example of how it should be done to suit the horse.

Beauvelour... for your boy at the moment I would try darkening his entire lower leg with black ravens oil.
    Chalk is good but you don't get the shine like you do with the ravens oil. I use chalk for a more subtle look.
    But when you do the ravens oil PLEASE don't just stop it in a straight line across the knee/hock, that's what makes it look really fake.
    If you have a look at a bay horse (easiest example), you'll see that the black on their knee's is naturally higher at the front of the knee and lower at the back. Then on the hock the black is higher at the back and lower at the front.
    So for your makeup to look more natural then you need to replicate this.
    This is the same for any colour horse, it's just easier to point out on a bay.
    The easiest way to remember it is if you stand side on to your horse and imagine a 'V' cutting through your horses legs, with the point of the 'V' on the ground in the middle and the high sides in front of their nose and behind their tail, as the lines cut through your horses legs they'll be higher at the front of the knee and then the back of the hock. I don't know if that makes much sense but it's how I teach my clients how to remember it.

10. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Yep definatley !
    I'm all for enhancing things but not when it comes out looking fake. (I feel the same about greys that have had fake socks and dark points applied #( Especially when it' done with raven's oil goes purple and ends up all through the nice white tail).

For most chestnuts I'd have thought black makeup would be too strong unless is was blended right back ? For a chestnut with dark skin around the eyes and muzzle just using the clear Campion Tails would be enough. It soaks into the skin and gives a darkened glossy effect anyway. That's all my ranga will be wearing anyway ;)
    If you need to add any colour I'd be hunting up a soft brown makeup and doing some practice runs.
    For chestnuts with dark points on their hocks then IMHO emphasing them is fine but don't make them look painted on *#)
    Bethy your boy always look beautifully presented **) and Serenity I love the way you've presented that chestnut in your photos too. Really lovely.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2010
  11. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Aww, thanks Zaza.

I completely agree with the look of black raven oil on the whiter greys... it just looks blue and very fake. If your light grey horse has dark points, or if you want to give it dark points then have a play with chalk, it gives a much more subtle and natural look than the raven oil.

For the black makeup on the faces of chestnuts I recommend using the Ultra Black Highlighter. It looks crazy black in the tub but it is quite transparent and also shiny. I'm not a huge fan of the Champ Tails highlighters on chestnuts because they are quite heavy/dark and have a matt finish which then require a gloss over the top. This makes it difficult to get a more natural finish.
    The Ultra isn't as heavy and I find it looks more natural, plus it's easier to apply and you only need the one product.

OR

You can wait until the new Hi Shine makeups come out!! I was lucky enough to trial them and they're bluddy brilliant. Best bit is that they smell so damn yummy! Plus they are made of all natural ingredients and are so safe that you could eat them (if you were that way inclined :) )

12. Oakey Dokey

Oakey Dokey Active Member

vasaline is a cheaper option for the face! i use it and i recon it looks better!

13. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I use champ tails red/black ( i think it is) on the face and brown ravens oil on legs:)* Bethy I have never had a problem with them being heavy or dark? This pony has light legs and light muzzle...usually ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  14. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

I had a very heavily dappled grey, I used black ravens oil for his legs (about 4 inches above the knee and below), I used blue black champion tails for his mouth and eyes then blend it with alto light (clear shiner), I don't know if it just me but I like a nice shiny face lol.

I have also used the alto black stuff and I found that it didnt go on dark enough, when the horse is already quite dark you need something deeper to actually make it darker otherwise there is no point.

Good luck, remember to sparkle lol :)

15. Cassy Horse

Cassy Horse Well-known Member

What a beautiful picture!!

16. chante306

chante306 Well-known Member

a lot more to think about
    and some great advice..i cant wait now :D

Bethy, how long until the HiShine makeup comes out? I would love to try it

was out there today and his knees have no dark points so i think ill just concerntrate on getting his socks clean and blingy and wont worry about ravens oil..thanks tho :)

getting exited now, my first breed show and his first that hes competing (if he makes it to the ring lol)

17. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Goodie, I find it depends on the colour and breed of the horse and the effect that you're after.

What I meant by 'heavy and dark' is that it is heavily pigmented with colour so it can drastically change the colour of a horse. Like that gorgeous little man you put the photo up of, you want him to have the dark muzzle etc, it suits him and doesn't look odd. But as his muzzle is quite light then you need a heavily pigmented product to make it darker.
    Something like the ultra black won't do what you want.

But on horses that you don't want the really dark muzzle or eyes then I find that the Ultra or Hi Shine products are more what I'm after.

It all comes down to the colour and markings that your horse has and the end result that you're after. Hence the reason that Stanely (my show box) is so bluddy big... I have every available product so I can do/teach makeup on every colour/type of horse.

Chante, I'm not sure when the Hi Shine makeup will be available to everyone, but I'm pretty sure that it will be within the next couple of months.

18. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

ok thanks bethy...that makes sense**)
    I guess also you tend to get used to one product as well ( I know I do), plus I haven't made up a light coloured horse for ages:D

19. Beauvelour

Thanks Everyone and Chante for letting me hijack thread. I know what you mean about the legs Bethy as i used to do my bay but have never prepared a grey. It will be fun to go out and play with him!!!

20. Yentle

Yentle Active Member

Hi, Can someone please tell me if there is any way to highlight an all black horse with no white. Other than a black dye to make the yucky brown bits in the mane and tail to go back to black. Is there any point in using makeup around the face? Should I use a clear make up to make the eyes stand out a little more?
    Cheers