Makeup for chestnuts

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by chante306, Jan 7, 2010.

1. chante306

chante306 Well-known Member

I've never owned nor prepped a chestnut before and woundering if anyone had any tips or pointers
    pictures would help to

2. chante306

Bump for the rangas???

3. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Black and clear make up (I use Champion Tails) for the eyes and nose, brown raven's oil on the legs and blend! :)

4. chante306

I should mention he's v blingy, brown nose(where it's not white) and bright bright bright orange
    would I still use black on him??

5. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

Probably best to use clear then, because if you can also use it on the white bits.

6. chante306

Thankyou :D
    a pic might make it easier

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    how would you suggest I present this horse for a breed show?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  7. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

darken the muzzel and put clear over top- same with eyes.... white cover cream for sox and face... ravens oil points of legs to make sox stand out

but remember less is best...
    id def have a play with it before show day!!

8. miss_skoobz

miss_skoobz Well-known Member

For my chestnut, instead of black for her muzzle and eyes, I use the ravens oil, its easier to remove (i find) if you accidentally put too much on.
    I also use the ravens oil for her legs, and white for her socks. Ravens oil looks best if you darken the correct spots, ie; darken the knees the most and blend outward from there, and on the hind legs, darken from the hocks and blend outward, just make sure it is slightly lighter on the blended spots.

I'll attach a pic, I think I was in a little bit of a rush at this show, it was my first :)

[​IMG]

Ignore her face pulling, it doesn't look blended but in real life it was haha!
    I try to use minimal on her face

9. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

my arc is super awesome & did a "show prep" lesson with emma... (i forget her last name?). anywho. there were two chestnuts (incl. mine) and a dark bay in the class & she suggested as kimaley did - black chalk & clear shine for the face around eyes & muzzle and white chalk over the chrome bits, black hoof polish & NO darkening of the orange legs with ravens oil or anything, but that is up to the exhibitor anyway.

10. chante306

Wow thanks :):)
    I've got a few weeks to have a play and a practice
    hopefully I don't make a mess of it
    and miss skoobz your mare is gorgeous :)
    thanks again

11. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

ok, umm, at risk of being outvoted ect ect and all that. isnt the idea of a show to show off your horses natural beauty? isnt makeup kind of cheating?

i know its done by all now, but i feel its not fair.

am i the only one?

pls done jump on me, i just dont understand it.

12. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

yes i see your point but some are naturally more beautiful than others ;) and makeup definaltey makes a difference.... just like having a short coat- people want to show off their horse in the best light :) but its not just judged on how well your horse wears make up! its conformation, behavior movement, workout - all to create a picture :) my picture is just one of those cloudy glamour studio shots that shows him in the best light hahahahahaha

13. chante306

Yeh pretty much what EC said, it's just for presentation
    but I understand where your coming from though...this time last year I thought the same :)
    it's not necessary, and the horse is judged on his presentaion, confirmation, movement

14. amber sunday

amber sunday Well-known Member

makeup is used to enhance your horses good points and hide the bad when used properly...bit like on people haha. the best horse on the day will still win, but two equal horses, the "enhanced" one will win.
    aaand i use clear enhancer-y stuff on sunny, and lots of white stuff haha.

15. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

thanks, i just wondered, i kinda felt it may leave those of us not prepared to spend that much on our horses a little disadvantaged. miss 11 wants to start showing, and knows we are kinda on a budget, an i didnt want her to feel that she was wasteing her time if everyone else was using makeup and she wasnt.

thanks for the feedback :))

16. amber sunday

amber sunday Well-known Member

If your only going unofficial (assuming hacking not breed), makeup use is not over the top. and breed shows, a little around the face can do a lot....im sure the showies on here can help you a bit more though :)* good luck.

17. Serenity

Serenity Well-known Member

Hey Blitzen, just wanted to confess that it was me that did that show prep talk :)*
    Thanks for your lovely comments:)

18. Serenity

Chestnut face makeup...

[​IMG]

Body.... I did use a bit of ravens oil on her legs....BUT you have to make sure it is the RIGHT BROWN!!!

[​IMG]

19. Serenity

Haha - I like to think of makeup as "enhancing" what is already there :) LOL
    The make up I use is made specially for horses so it is safe - and I ALWAYS wash it off as soon as I have finished my last class.**)

20. Beauvelour

Beauvelour Well-known Member

Hey serenity can i just hijack Chantes thread Sorry!! But I have just got a dark steel grey gelding what do you suggest to use on him? Not that we will be getting out for a while but i was just wondering as i have never preped a grey only chestnuts and bays