Magnetic blankets

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Noelle, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Has anyone used a magnetic blanket on their horse for back issues? If so, what are your thoughts on it and where did you buy it?

2. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

I think Dick Wicks do them?? Not usre ... I want to get one when I have the $$ (if horses will stop leaching hip pocket dry *#) ) I have heard very good things.

3. courtney&coco

courtney&coco Well-known Member

Dick Wicks

I have a Dick Wicks rug for Coco (has terrible back probs...constantly!).

I don't use it as much as I should as Coco likes to rip his rugs off and plays out in the paddock with 20 other horses all day, but at night would be the best time to use it as they do tend to make a horse warm up with the increased blood flow. I found Coco to move more fluently and freely after wearing it over night, I guess because his muscles had been "warmed up".

My DW rug cost $199 from HL. Sounds expensive, but it really did work, and meant longer periods in between bowen/chiropractic treatments.

I keep it wrapped up safe because of it's price. Although it works really really well I found the buckles to be of really cheap quality considering the price and it's a bit of a funny fit (just doesn't seem to sit right.).

What type of problems is your horse having?

4. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Thanks guys, have had a look at the Dickwick's website. One is never sure if it is a fad thing or whether it is the real McCoy and does work :)

Courtney&Coco, my daughter's horse has sacroiliac joint pain. See under another thread, Hey Finitey on page 2 which has a bit more info.

The chiropractor has recommended a magnetic blanket and my daughter has suggested it as a Chrissie present. Just want to be sure it is not good money going down the drain :p Its always nice if someone else has used a product and can say one way or the other.

5. courtney&coco

courtney&coco Well-known Member

Well you're in luck - Coco's biggest prob is in the sacro-iliac area. There are magnets running on either side of the spine and are dotted around the shoulder and rump. The rug itself is fairly strong, a lot more sturdy than your average cotton, it's just the buckles that lack quality.

Let me know how you go with it!

Courtney

6. beau

beau Well-known Member

Magnetic rugs are great if used and designed for fit. I am not saying that the comercial rugs are not good but not all rugs fit all horses the same, so the placing of the magnets will be different as all horses are built differently, the quality and the intensity of the magnets are also to be considered, most of the comercial ones are not that strong.

When we got ours done, we had a rug made for that horse and the magnets were individually sewn in and placed to suit the horses needs. I know this is an expensive way of doing it but in the long run it is what works best for the horse. Also they should not be left on for long periods of time.

7. Satorii Lodge

Satorii Lodge Well-known Member

magnets can work wonders if the right strength and placement i had a standardbred stallion with really bad front legs dint think id get him back to the track came pretty close to sacking him several times but then put on cannon magnet boots and dint look back was amazing have got a dick wicks rug on zac at them mo every second day and really seems to be making a difference