Magnesium Oxide powder

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by finding_nemo, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Melle79

Melle79 Well-known Member

Ok as a supplement lay-person I need help
    I have a 15.2tb, she is a good do-er

She has a lovely grass paddock and gets 2 feeds and hay per day
    Chaff, Kool n Kind and Mill Mix and hay and (I stand by this statement) is the fastest eater I've ever met in my life and a complete piggy pants.

About 2 months ago I moved her to this new agistment, she came from a largely sandy paddock with a meadow hay roll and hard feed at night where she tended to get disproportionately fat in her belly and put nothing on her neck (despite my long and low work) so I think her diet was lacking which I put down to the meadow hay? (I think).

On her new diet she is looking fab, the mill mix has helped tremendously with her condition and we have a lovely neck now!. BUT I have always had trouble with her out and about.

She can be fizzy and can be quite naughty or a perfect angel at times.
    I have been trying her on Chaste Tree Berry to try and control the mare-isms and she was quite good at our first outing after being on it for 2 weeks.

I have been told Magnesium can help calm her down, What do you guys think?
    I've tried giving her Magnesite from the stockfeed a few times but she was funny about eating it. Although now I think that's the tree berry taste as it was about the same time and she still leaves about a handful of feed

Suggestions? or should I cut something else out?
    She IS better if I ride for an hour or so in the 3 days leading up to it, but I'd rather not have to rely on exhaustion for a nice day out!

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

M79, Kind n'Kool is just more millmix in a pellet so perhaps it is too much starch in her diet causing the fizzy behaviour??:confused::}

Try some flaked lupins and copra as a cooler alternative. These feeds are still great for conditioning horses!:D:))

3. mini magic

mini magic Active Member

yeh starch starch and more starch! Copra is very good at mixing in any supplements so should work well with getting her to eat magnesium**) Kalma is a good product which is worth a look at. It worked very well with my moody filly!

4. Melle79

Melle79 Well-known Member

Ok I think they 'serve' lupins but not copra at my agistment
    Should I still feed the Kool n Kind and mill mix but just less of it and replace some of that with lupins?

Sorry to be a pain

5. Lilac

Lilac New Member

Why not replace the Kind and Cool with Lupins completely?

6. alegna

alegna New Member

I have heard that buying magnesium oxide powder from stock feeders can cause problems in your horse. Bought some this morning it was 90% pure but im to scared to use it aa someone told me that they know someone that used a product like this and there horse came up in welts as it wasnt human grade u dont know what that other 10% is. It may be harmful. Should I take it back?

7. Karen Jet

Karen Jet New Member

You are better off using Magnesium chloride flakes as they are more readily absorbed than magnesium oxide.