Magnesium Oxide powder

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by finding_nemo, Jun 2, 2010.

1. finding_nemo

finding_nemo Active Member

Can any one tell me where I can buy Magnesium Oxide Powder in WA area. I have been told it is very good for nervy horses and is also a good calmer and helps the nervous system and muscle tightness.

2. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

I ordered some from my stockfeeder when I lived in Baldivis. I'm not sure where he got it from, but it was surprisingly cheap - not something that can be said often about anything horsey!!

3. Cassy Horse

Cassy Horse Well-known Member

Is Mag E similar? I know people use that for calming as well?

4. WhitbyFalls

WhitbyFalls New Member

Magnesium is great

Hi Nemo I have magnesium in stock at my feed store in mundijong (give me a call we can post to you see my banner ad or my classified ad) I feed it to my quarterhorses with great results for both their muscle ( my two boys are imported bloodlines with lots of heavy muscle so require it to help keep muscles healthy) and also to my mare who get tense and tight as she is a bit nervous.

5. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I was told awhile back about Magnesium oxide being good for horses but then I looked it up on the internet and whilst most of the references were for it being used in humans some of the side effects were abit worrying!! Can anyone else shed some light on it regarding how it can effect horses, good or bad? Also how do you know if your horse is lacking in magnesium?

6. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Why not add a teaspoon of epsom salts much cheaper**)

7. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

Because the type of magnesium in Epsom salts is not as highly absorbed as Mag oxide in horses!

8. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Magnesium Sulfate is highly absorbed and has the same effect, my point being is Magnesium Oxide is the "rolls royce" of magnesium is THE best absorbed but you are paying the price for it. You can still easily supplement magmesuim and get the desired effects on a tablespoon per 100kg bodyweight of epsom salts and still have money in your pockets:)

9. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

mag oxide is about $12 for 5kgs so about the same price as epsom salts. Epsom salts will also cause tummy upsets in some horses.

10. Melle79

Melle79 Well-known Member

A quick question, my girl isn't a huge fan of the taste of the magnesium as she's not eating all her feed, but still most of it. I don't necessarily want to add molasses as isn't that a little counter productive on the calming front?

Ideas?

11. Lilac

Lilac New Member

Have you tried Advanced Feeds ThiaMag ? It's a good product. Economical too.

Epsom salt is ok but can cause tummy upsets in the long run.

Whitby Falls, what is your magnesium supplement called ? Price ?

12. STANCER

STANCER New Member

Sorry - incorrect there!

Check on your understanding of oxides vs sulfphates (chem 101) :)

There are many forms - dolomite is one.

Look for a product that is SAFE and has been trialled with success.

13. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

""Beware of Magnesium Sulphate , also known as Epsom Salts, which is a water hungry form of magnesium and will cause dehydration problems if fed for more than three consecutive days.
    Epsom salts, although cheap, are also best known as a laxative.
    Give too much and your horse or pony will experience diarrhoea.
    A dose of Epsom Salts at anything more than one level tablespoon a day per 100kg of a horse's bodyweight is likely to cause diarrhoea.""

""The easiest form of magnesium as a supplement for horses to absorb is magnesium oxide, however other forms are available - including Magnesium Glutamate, Magnesium Aspartate, Calcium Magnesium (dolomite) often referred to as CalMag and magnesium sulphate more commonly known as Epsom salts.""

Supplementation rates:​
    ? 31 mg/kg/day of MgO or
    ? 64 mg/kg/day of MgCO3 or
    ? 93 mg/kg/day of MgSO4

""There are 1000mg to a gram, so the total daily magnesium requirements of a 500kg horse would be 15.5 grams of magnesium oxide, 32 grams of magnesium carbonate, and 46.5 grams of magnesium sulfate.
    The equation makes it clear that magnesium oxide provides the greatest available amount of magnesium among these three.""

As you can see from above...whilst the horse ustalises about 70% of the available magnesium in each form, epsom salts has simply has less availalbe than the others so you need to feed more to get the same results. When you add that to a salt that is known to have a laxative result and also can contribute to dehydration why would you feed it? Mag Oxide is also cheaper!!

14. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Mag ox is around 52% bioavailable magnesium so it is the highest Mg content for your buck!:D

Dolomite is actually only about 5% available Mg, and is very poorly utilised at that.#(

Wesfarmers sell 25kg of mag oxide for $48; I was also quoted around $65 from AllStock just yesterday!:}

FeedXL have just released their latest newsletter on How pastures affect horses behaviour and the associated magnesium deficiency is well explained! Have a read!!:)*:))

15. Melle79

Melle79 Well-known Member

what about Magnesite from the stockfeeds?
    that's magnesium carbonate right?

16. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

All said and done, and Im not arguing with your googled evidence BUT it is yet to cause ANY of my horses an upset tummy or runs nor has it dehydrated them. I will continue to feed it:D

17. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

For all those concerned re: epsom salts, go and check the ingredients of your electrolytes - 99% of them contain magnesium sulfate ;) which is why I mix my own electrolytes - calcium carbonate, salt, bicarb and epsom salts - much cheaper and I prefer to have control over the individual amounts of each.

Epsom salts draw water into the gut, but will NOT cause dehydration at around 130g nor will they cause diarrhoea or other gut issues.

18. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

can i ask how you feed pottasium? as that is the main electrolyte( besides sodium) the body needs. i know ACV is etremely high :D

19. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Good point, forgot to add potassium in there lol!!!! I don't supplement it as forage is rich in potassium, particularly lucerne, and if the horse has had a very hard workout (jump training, competition, fast work) I give Recharge over the tongue immediately after.

20. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

I second the recharge**)