Magic update

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by ShowjumpKid4Eva, Feb 8, 2013.

1. ShowjumpKid4Eva

ShowjumpKid4Eva Well-known Member

After a bit of drama over the past few months things have smoothed out again.

It all came to a head when she had a spack attack about haltering again after a few weeks of beautiful consistent haltering. A lot of you know what happened after that. I felt like I didn't have the experience to work with her, handed her to my mother to work with, and then put her on the market... only to have her put a leg through a fence a few days later and be withdrawn from give away.

I decided to take that as a sign. She wasn't supposed to leave. So Mum kept working with her for me, treating her injury, then a couple of weeks down the track came to me and told me to take my horse back, she was once again acceptable to handle and easy to catch/halter.

I kept working with her as she healed, and one day, dressing her leg, discovered the secret. Praise fixes everything - it even stops her from having panic attacks. All of a sudden, she was easy. Easy to treat her leg [and the proud flesh stuff stings like all get-out, I got some on a cut accidentally once... ouch] easy to handle easy to do everything.

By the one-month mark she was a different horse. No longer the emotional, nervous wreck. I started walking her in hand to find she is now reacting less to things than Mum's pony [and Mum's pony is incredibly quiet and will one day be a superb beginner's large pony]. Still wary of men, but very brave.

A few weeks ago, she went lame AGAIN, on her bad stifle. Decisions were made a little too hastily, I stopped hard feeding her [she has adlib oaten hay, she doesn't really NEED hard feeding] and then she came sound.

I brought her into very light lunging work, to test that soundness, because previously it would last a couple of days tops... but she stayed sound. Two sound weeks later, while I was doing groundwork with her, Magic looked at me and told me she was ready. So I rode her for the first time. Perfect behaviour, a little confused and unbalanced but so well behaved that I wondered briefly if she had perhaps been started.

Ride two proved that she hadn't, quite nervous, very unbalanced... but she was still beautifully behaved. I have some photos taken with my phone but won't post them unless asked because the quality is rubbish.

Ride three was very nervous, and we mostly just walked. I had a lot of energy under me and the ears in front of me were floppy... my horse was borderline catatonic, it wouldn't have been smart to push it.

She then had a few days off, broke into the feed shed and nicked a bunch of Monty's high-protein high-carb feed, went lame within hours... came good the very next day... and had her fourth ride. Which, a couple of days later, I still can't get over.

From terrified beyond belief and very difficult to get close enough to touch [let alone actually TOUCH], to this:
    [​IMG]

Magic's 4th Ride - YouTube

We start our rides in the round yard to make sure she remembers the rules, then move out to the paddock, because our round yard is WAY too small and it's hard enough for Monty [15.1 very balanced very educated horse] to find his balance in it... much less a 16+hh breaker!

Please excuse my horrible riding, I am working on it. Oh, and the saddle isn't quite right [it IS close], but I'm having it fitted whenever the heck the saddle fitter calls me back.

edit; and I didn't realise my helmet wasn't done up until just as we were leaving the round yard... wish my friend/photographer had said something... it got done up as soon as I realised.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. cruisecontrol

cruisecontrol Well-known Member

Good luck with her, she looks lovely and seems to be doing quite well for such an uneducated horse.

Not having a go, but maybe you should wait until you do hear from the saddle fitter before doing anything else?

You've just got her good from a problem stifle, why risk hurting her back with a 'close' to good saddle?

Again good luck anyway, and have fun :)

3. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I didn't read the novel, the video and pictures speak for themselves.

Good job kiddo! :)* **)

Lovely open rein, beautiful soft contact, horse happily going forward, nice change of diagonal and fantastic that she hit the skids as soon as you stopped riding at the end of it. Exactly how I like my youngsters to go. Poke her around quietly like that not expecting anything more than stop, go, turn left, turn right for the next 6 - 12 months and you'll be laughing. Don't be in a rush, have no expectations other than not hitting the deck and you'll be amazed at how far you can go.

You should be proud.

And to anyone that thinks I'm bullshitting or 'pissing in her pocket' here, far from it, I will quite happily give compliments where they're due to anyone regardless of my comments/thoughts/run ins in the past :)) A compliment is deserved here and a compliment I shall give.

My only advice from here on out is don't get yourself worked up on others comments if things go sour, restrict your novels to little blurbs and for crying out loud don't give us any ammunition.

4. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Right I've read a little bit of the novel.........

Horrible riding :unsure: :confused: Where exactly is the horrible riding ';' You look fine to me! This is your first breaker, we're not expecting you to be perfect, hells bells I've broken in a few when I was in high school, broke in 2 back in 2011/2012 and yep, I wasn't perfect.

Stop knocking yourself out and focus on the positives, you've got a young horse you've worked on yourself going very very sweetly under saddle. That pic you posted, besides looking down (understandable on a youngster) what's wrong with your position ';' The answer to that is.............

NOTHING! Zilch, nata, nought, nixt!

5. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Personally for me, with a horse at this age, I wouldn't be worrying about getting the saddle fitting spot on. This horse is going to change back shape damn near every week. If the saddle is close to fitting good then that's good enough in my books. There are heaps of breakers out there that start young horses with the one saddle that fits 'close to good' and that gets put on everything. At this stage I'm guessing SJK4E is only going to be riding Magic for 20 minutes or so 2 or 3 times a week if that (I'm hoping here cos that's all she probably needs at this stage). Unless she really starts playing around I'd be leaving it, the horse looks happy, the ears are pricked, she's swinging along in a lovely forward stride, she doesn't look overly worried at this stage.

6. ShowjumpKid4Eva

Thanks guys :) GR that's actually the plan - lots of walking and a bit of trotting, trail riding nearly every ride, just to put miles on her with no pressure. I won't canter her until she's balanced in the trot, and stops wobbling around all over the place.

CC, like I said it will be fitted to her ASAP. For now the sweat marks are nice and even [it's been hot, she's not working hard] with no pressure points,it's just the balance of it that isn't quite right. In fact it may even be HER balance, all I know is that it feels too high at the back when I sit in it. [her being on the forehand will be contributing to that]

I like a horse that stops when you stop riding so I'm definitely happy! That's actually instinctive for her, not something I've had to teach, and it's certainly not something I ever want to lose. The more I can cue with my seat the more I can preserve her lovely soft mouth and the easier she'll be to ride.

7. ShowjumpKid4Eva

That's pretty much the plan. 3 days on, 4 days off, from here on out the bulk of that being short trail rides mainly at walk with a little bit of trot. I probably won't canter her at all until she's 3, and certainly not a huge amount before she starts jumping age 4 1/2 to 5.

8. ShowjumpKid4Eva

lol thank you - my shoulders, ugh! Worst bad habit of mine, when I'm not slouching my horses both go so much better. Especially Monty, he softens so much to hand, leg and seat when I sit up straight with my shoulders back.

9. cruisecontrol

cruisecontrol Well-known Member

Great :)
    She looks relaxed and even looks as though she's enjoying herself.
    And your position is awesome too, so jealous right now :)

GR - never had a young horse so wasn't sure if not perfect fitting would be more harm than good :) Thanks though, I learnt something new :) I like that :)

10. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Glad to see you are achieving your goals and your progress has been safe.

I think it's good that you already know the worst of her from your groundwork. Knowing how she ticks should help you to set her up to win, and not push her (or you) past the point of coping. Just never go there. Never have her ask a question that you don't know the answer to. And give her heaps of time to think and process (and reward) after a try at something new. She will be anxious to be right so make sure you let her know.

And your forward in the photo looks great, that will help you hugely.

Gah, I wish I could have said some of this to my past self :)

11. ShowjumpKid4Eva

aww thank you, I'll get a big head if you're not careful!

edit; constant praise is definitely the key with her - stress levels go way down when she knows she's doing what I want her to do. When I work with her I'm constantly telling her how fantastic I think she is, whether I'm on her back or on the ground.

From the groundwork I've done with her, she's not very inclined to buck, but rearing is something I have to be very careful not to cause. That's why the forward is so important to me. I have to train both of us that forward is our friend in times of stress.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  12. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

SJK4E I wouldn't be stressing about the saddle fit, if the sweat marks are even that's fine. I think if you go stuffing around with balancing the saddle you'll run the risk of ruining that sweat pattern. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I would pop her into a canter for a few strides, stay light on her back and don't worry about direction too much (obviously have enough direction control to not crash into anything!) let your hips roll with the movement. It won't hurt her (unless you crash into something) and it's more a question of going forward. Obviously going for a few canter circles isn't the best idea just now but a few strides of canter on a straight line or a slight curving line is fine.

You can start her 'jumping education' now with some rails on the ground to trot over, really good go forward lesson for youngsters and gets them thinking about where their feet are. It won't hurt her, she just has to lift her feet from her normal trot stride about an inch more than normal, no biggie.

All the young ones at home we popped over little logs (as in 20 cms high) in the bush regardless of how old and balanced they were. We took them bush bashing, we jumped them up the sides of the bush tracks, we popped them over 4wd ruts and road drainage ditches. It's all good 'go forward' lessons.

A little trick for riding young ones with a good mane (like hers) take some mane in the outside hand ;) Stabilises you just that bit more for the unknown and gives you a little bit of security if things start to go to hell in a hand basket.

In regards to your shoulders, I'll pass on 4 words of wisdom I had my mother screaming at me from the round yard rails when I was working horses back in 2011 - 2012................

SHUT UP AND RIDE!!!!!!!!

13. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

No worries **)

14. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

Great looking picture/combo SJK4E :D

She is going great guns, she looks happy, and you are riding her very nicely for her stage. She is a lovely filly isn't she! :)

Keep up the good work - and so nice to see another young one being ridden forward :D :D :))

15. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

Can't view the video!

But well done! Well done for persisting! Going by the photo you both look great! I look down at times when riding a breaker. You look soft and open in your hands and she looks lovely and forward.

Well done! Be sure to get get plenty of videos under saddle and as much 'eyes on the ground' help you can get! **)

16. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Is this the one a few weeks ago you were going to have put to sleep because of ongoing lameness issues?

Such a quick turn around.

17. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Hey Nannygoat. Yes it is the same one.

She was so sore that is was heart breaking to watch her moving around and SJ had decided that it was time to stop the misery.

Magic had ended her two months on bute (vet assessed and prescribed) and was really feeling it. Her stifle was turned out to the side to relieve pressure and it was looking really bad for her. Her stifle was as swollen as before the bute was started.

Her feed concerntrates were dropped and she was left on a hay roll while the logistics of putting to sleep were organised (Not allowed to bury her on this property, too much limestone, and not legal anyway) Friend was unable to help transport her for a couple of weeks and in that time with the reduction in feed concentrates and the bute not present anymore gradually the filly improved.

Her stifle was less swollen and she was standing less cow hocked. Then one day when I was feeding up my guys she decided she was going to be a mad hoon and bolted around the paddock. She was absolutely nutty, ran herself to the point were she was drenched with sweat bucking and kicking and feeling good. Hardest I have ever seen a horse work out in the paddock. And the speed on her my goodness.

Next day she had barely a reduction in stride length so SJ started hoping. She popped her in the round yard and trotted her. No lameness.

So at this stage SJ is simply going one day at a time. Small work load, accessing how she is moving and giving her lots of breaks with no work. Hay roll only with a top up of minerals in chaff (We are mineral deficient here) so the filly is not as well rounded as SJ would like but she is sound. Instead of looking at her rib cage/top line she is watching how she moves and how much energy she has.

Fingers very much crossed it looks like this filly is very very sensitive to the levels of protein in her diet and what is keeping Monty looking good is too much for her.

18. ShowjumpKid4Eva

Thanks everyone :)

I'm thinking the time and place for worrying about my position is on Monty? Unfortunately he's very sore in his loins at the moment [I've gotten him working over the back better and his muscles are having to adjust to that; the soreness is well behind where his saddles sit] and having a break from serious work for a few days, but I just started him on MSM so that should help.

NG - what Mum said! Decisions were made a little too hastily and I really should have given her a little more time... or rather, tried dropping concentrates entirely BEFORE making a decision. At this stage we are almost certain it's feed related and therefore very easily manageable - would explain why she was totally sound with her previous owner on grass and hay, and lame with me on hard feed.

edit; also might explain why she was thrown out for racing purposes, maybe she was brought in to prepare for pre-training and then went lame? I am aware that her sire has a reputation for throwing slow horses but she ain't slow and it doesn't explain why the guy bought her in the first place.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  19. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

You need to stop dwelling on the racing side of things and why she was given up. Her sire hasn't proven anything yet. Yes there's been some duds but there's also a few doing quite good. You can't say she's fast without her being timed on a track and/or trialled. There's alot of 'fast' horses out there, most with excellent breeding that are actually not that fast at all when it comes down to it.

We see owners giving up horses everyday for plenty of reasons, doesn't always mean the horse has issues or is a injured etc. Just enjoy her, never mind the theorizing! :)

20. ShowjumpKid4Eva

I just would have thought that with her bloodlines [Nijinsky back there, goes back to both Northern Dancer AND Native Dancer more than once] she would at least have been tried? I mean he obviously bought her for a reason.

It doesn't really bother me that much, I'm just curious... more so because I haven't got a straight answer out of the guy.