Made in China floats - feedback

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Bon & Ted, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I am curious, this relates to a conversation I had with an incredibly ignorant person yesterday, and also relates to an assignment I'm doing atm at Uni, about manufacture in China and exporting/selling to Australia. I thought floats would be an excellent example.

So I would love some feedback on how everyone feels about buying a chinese float. Would help me out alot.

What is the biggest "put off" for you in buying a chinese float?

If you have a chinese float, what are some of the flaws you have encountered - maybe relating to the manufacture, quality of work, waiting time etc?

If there is something you could change, what would it be? not neccesarilly something you're not happy with, but everything could do with improvements?

What are you really happy with?

And generally, are you on the whole happy with purchasing such an expensive item, when the working conditions etc over in their factories are questionable? (basically a moral question here)

What would make you purchase a Chinese float, over an Australian made (or similair) float? Or vice versa, what would make you NOT purchase one?

Longevity - for owners of them, how have you found their longevity, are they to our standards?

Any rego/roadworthy issues?

And how many of the negative things, directly relate to the fact they are made in china?

Oh and if you are happy to give out the brand of the float, if not doesn't matter :)

No wrong answers here :)

2. Fat Tiger

Fat Tiger Active Member

Floats

Can't help with most of your questions because I ended up going Australian Made after looking at imported ones. I was happy with what I saw but I thought it would be the 'safer' option to go Aussie made. I regret that decision now because I paid more for my float which was built in victoria but the quality is certainly not better. There are much better Aussie made floats than the one I bought but with a much higher price tag than my budget permitted so basically I tried to go cheap Australian made and I GOT cheap Australian made.
    There seems to be plenty of pros and cons on both sides but I would consider them if I was buying again or go 2nd hand Aussie made but there were just no triples around when I was in the market a few years ago.
    I understand about the moral issue of underpaid workers but a lot of what we buy in Oz is manufactured under such conditions (tvs, computers, clothes, ipods, phones etc). Definatley doesn't make it ok but unfortunately not many of us think about these things when we make a purchase.
    Good luck with the assignment!:)

3. pso

pso Gold Member

- As they come in containers...there are height limits...hence no use to me!!

Given the quality/durability of other chinese made products available
    (that I work with on a daily basis ;) )
    - I cant say I'd be rushing out to buy a float that was made in China:}

4. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

If you PM Tempo she will be able to help you, as she used to import and sell Chinese-made floats herself :)

5. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

I have bought one from China and mine came like a flat pack and was then put together when it arrived in Australia.

I had it made taller, longer and wider than a normal float would (to fit my two wbs)

It is almost 2 1/2 years old now and looks like I bought it, if you look after them (undercover and polished reg) you will get the most out of it!

I think the hindges, floor, doors, windows, vents, rubber molded floor, fixtures, lights, electrical, 200ltr water tank, s/steel rims and the tail gate are of very high standard!

I love it and wouldnd have anything else! orginally bought from horseland!

6. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Mine is an Extreme Import and Im very happy with it, height is perfect and the pricetag better too, mine is based on the Imperial float just a copy ;) The only thing that stuffed up was the gas strut on the tailgate, took it back and they fixed it no problems ;)

7. jadelzwadelz

jadelzwadelz Active Member

I've got a WCM float, which are a Kenwick mob who import stuff from around the place (mostly China) and then put them together in their workshop. We were already a client of theres, buying a loader off them last year. I love the fact that they have their own workshop, and their service is really good. We had a few little things go wrong with the loader, and they fixed them straight away. When we went to inspect the float we found a few things we didn't like and they fixed them all up to our specifications for free. I'd really recommend them. I love the float, everyone who's seen our float loves it. I haven't had a negative comment yet. The price was unbelievable, came with float yards, alloys (incl spare) and tack box on the side. We got the standard, and the deluxe comes with water tank, large tack area at front and the padding on the sides raises up and locks in place to make two beds!!

So quality - I am yet to find a fault. I was looking at Australian made floats, but they were just priced out of my range, and after looking at a couple of second hand ones for the same price I couldn't justify buying a float that had surface rust and needed work, when I could get this one that was brand new.

Height wise - ours is very high - so maybe because it's assembled in Kenwick they can import a higher roofed model??

Biggest put off was less warranty, and worry about the manufacturing standards of crucial parts of the float like the floor etc. But knowing that WCM puts them together and modifies them to suit our standards put us at ease. Also, being a repeat customer we know they stand by their products and have the abilities to service and repair what they sell. And no wait time - they had one in stock which was awesome.

Something I would change is no internal light, and also the float yards only go off one side. We're going to put a light in and set up the yards so they can go off either side.

Really happy with the whole thing. Love it.

Morally, I'd like to think that in a perfect world I would buy nothing but Australian made, I would only buy WA produce and meat and I would never shop at Woolworths or Coles, only the local supermarket or independents so I know my money is staying in my community. But hey.....we work hard for our money and unfortunately the world is not perfect and sometimes you have to save a dollar and purchase something that fits your budget - and not your moral standard.

What made me choose Chinese over Australian - price. I would have purchased an Australian made float if the price was the same. Definitely. I wouldn't have purchased a Chinese float if I was unsure of parts, or if I thought the workmanship was dodgy.

Can't comment on longevity - we've only had it a few months. But it's kept in the shed, so hopefully it'll last a long time!

No rego/roadworthy issues - the float was taken over the pits and registered for us the day before we brought it. So we knew it was all legit and roadworthy.

Hope that helps with your assignment!! It's a great topic to be doing!!

8. petamc

petamc Well-known Member

He he, You know mine and how much I love it!!!

As the previous poster said, in a perfect world, I too would only buy Australian, but, cost is the biggest factor in our more expensive purchases, so you have to weigh up all the value for money factors.

I am very happy with my Chinese import!!!

9. Bundy SSZ

Bundy SSZ New Member

I just wonder how many 'Australian Made' floats are truely entirely made from Australian manufactured steel or ali. So buying Australian doesn't always mean its product is manufactured in Oz just it was constructed in Oz. And as others have posted they ship them from China as flat pack then construct them over here, which is another thing to check when buying so called 'Australian Made'.

10. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

We havent bought a Chinese float, nor ever will. We bought one of the Chinese made quads and it was the biggest mistake ever #( #( #( . The quality is totally crap. I wish I could list all the problems we have had with it. The husband has the mechanical know how and could list them easily. We have had it for 4 - 5 years and would be lucky to have had 10 hours out of it. There is always something going wrong it.

Has put me off buying anything made in China. Would rather pay that bit extra and get Australian good quality stuff, or at least a well known and reputable brand.

11. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I agree with everything Fat Tiger has said but will answer anyway!

What is the biggest "put off" for you in buying a chinese float?

There was none.

If you have a chinese float, what are some of the flaws you have encountered - maybe relating to the manufacture, quality of work, waiting time etc?

No flaws. No waiting time.

If there is something you could change, what would it be? not neccesarilly something you're not happy with, but everything could do with improvements?

Nope. I had the option of doing over my Kalpakoff but decided to buy a float that was 'complete'. There is nothing I would want to change.

What are you really happy with?

LOVE the 'standard' storm doors and tack box that you have to pay many hundreds for as extra's else where.

And generally, are you on the whole happy with purchasing such an expensive item, when the working conditions etc over in their factories are questionable? (basically a moral question here)

I won't judge their conditions as unsatisfactory unless I've stood in the factory itself that builds these floats. Therefore, no answer!

What would make you purchase a Chinese float, over an Australian made (or similair) float? Or vice versa, what would make you NOT purchase one?

Price sold me on my float, it was affordable. Quality I found to be the same as anything else I looked at and I did my research. I would of bought a very basic float for the price I bought my current float for and I'm very happy with what I have.

Any rego/roadworthy issues?

Nope...

And how many of the negative things, directly relate to the fact they are made in china?

Peoples lack of educated judgements. Like mentioned in the first reply I'm sure most things people have in their house are made in China ;). I trust that the AUSTRALIAN dealers of the horse float I bought would not sell a float they thought lacked quality and safety. IF there was any comprimise to the safety of a horse float due to the manifacturing company I'm certain no-one would risk the law suits to follow by selling such floats.

Oh and if you are happy to give out the brand of the float, if not doesn't matter :)

IMPERIAL

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  12. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

I won't answer because Arnie said everything I would have :)*

I love my Imperial and I don't buy into the buy "Austrailan made" debate (properly cos I'm not Ozzie :D) I will buy from wherever as long as the quality is up to my standards

13. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

alot of the more well known aussie floats are flat packed from china these days anyway- made over east and brought over here.....