Lysine Supplements

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Jumping Bean, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

I downloaded the demo version of Equilize to have a squiz at it, and their test horse was very close to my sb gelding - 450kg, not in work. So I analyzed his feed, and apparently he is lysine deficient, and I would need to feed 3 kg of lucerne and a kg of soya bean meal to correct this deficiency! :eek: He is already fat!! :D

I have been looking for pure lysine supps, and it seems you can only get them from the US, which is expensive and a bit of a pain, it'll take 21 days to get here.

Anyone know of any lysine or general amino acid supps here in aust? I have seen some, but they all have many other minerals added to them, and he already gets a good general supplement. Chasing just straight lysine or straight amino acid complex.

Cheers :))

2. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

wow, i did not know lysine was good for horses. i take it for cold_sores and it is AMAZING.

3. Diablo Equine Services

Diablo Equine Services Well-known Member

Hiya, a kilo of soya is heaps too much!!!!

Soya has the highest amount of lysine in it, and a a good ratio to protein. So maybe a smaller amount of soya???

4. Jumping Bean

According to the program it would take a kilo to correct the lysine deficiency, which is crazy! *#) *#) It is because he is on a hay-only diet atm. Hehe I realise a kilo is too much, esp for him, he is barely a horse!!

He is too fat and on a strict diet and exercise regime atm, so I am not keen to add anything else to this except a powder supplement. Seriously, he is on hay only with a little lucerne and rc chaff at night to mix his supplements in, and he is jiggling all over. He is one of those smell of an oily rag beasts :)*

The exact opposite of my other horse! :D

5. pso

pso Gold Member

Would the hg balanced do it?

Otherwise, look at aminovite (think its naturevet or ranvet)
    VAM (inj, or paste), Tripart (inj or paste), Thrive......am sure theres others!:D

But if he looks good, dont think I'd worry about it...

6. Jumping Bean

He was on the Balanced, but just too much protein and goodies for lil fatty, so he got banished to powders only :D

I had to take the tb off Balanced as she gets alot of lucerne, and it was just too much energy and protein, she was jumping out of her skin and making my life difficult lol!! o she has been banished to powders as well! :)*

He does look great actually, he looks a million bucks, like a big round shiny ball of licorice ;) certainly doesn't appear as though he is lacking anything!!

All of the powder formulas contain little or no lysine it seems, the injectables have a good dose but I don't think I will go that far when he is seemingly perfectly happy and healthy.
    Odd that you can buy straight lysine quite cheaply in the US but not here, costs a fortune including shipping and waiting a month for it to get here lol!!

Cheers for that pso :))

7. SCNHP

SCNHP New Member

Feed programs that tell you what your horse needs to consume nutritionally a day are great and they can really help to formulate a balanced diet, but they certainly don't take the individuals temperament, metabolism etc into account.

I'm sure a program would tell you that a Shetland needed 3kgs of lucerne and 2kgs of barley and full fat soyabean meal too, but can you imagine what the pony would look like if that happened?!

You just need to use common sense with those types of programs and keep everything at balanced ratios and levels even if they are lower. You also have to do an assessment and think 'ok, if I fed my horse what this program is telling me to feed, he would be morbidly obese and therefore very unhealthy and prone to health problems. So I think it is better that he doesn't put on more weight, but is deficient in a few things, than to get eveything he needs but to look like a sumo wrestler.'

My old mare at the age of 24 is very fat and like your horse, runs off the smell of an oily rag. She is just on chaff, minerals, hay, boiled linseed and speedi beet. Whereas an old gelding I owned 5 years back around her age was on a few kgs of gumnuts, equi-jewel, chaff, hay etc and was only half her size!

8. Jumping Bean

Lol yes, I went out to do the feeds this am, and fatty has moobs!! No way I am going to give him another thing to eat!! He looks healthy and he is bright eyed and glossy, and everything else in his diet is fine, so I don't think I will worry too much about it for now.

Besides, I bet if I worried about my food as much as I do theirs, I would probably be deficient in a few things too! :)* Considering I forget to eat lunch almost every day anyway!

Thanks for the info guys **)

9. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Hey JB, I would not be worried about lysine for fatties. This amino acid is far more critical for young growing horses to promote correct development and growth, and also in broodmares.

10. Jumping Bean

Thanks Caroline, lol I do worry too much about them!! That is good then, he is certainly not growing! Only outwards ;)

11. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

JB, he will be fine, LOL It's only important for young and growing horses and breeding.:)