Lupins

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by banna198, Dec 16, 2010.

1. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

i cant believe with the reputation of T&R that their lupins are crap and whoever it was that posted a picture of lupins from T&R here and had all those other bird seeds etc in them#(

i would have thought they woud have the the most top quality feeds ';'

i dont buy T&R but wont either with all these bad reports of their feeds #(

2. Scarlet

Scarlet Well-known Member

I love lupins...our stallion, show horses & broodies all get lupins! We soak them overnight and they get the water in their feeds too!

Have fed them for years (was better when we cropped and grew our own!) but our animals all look & do well on them and they are cheap and good feed when sometimes we are feeding 10 - 12 horses.

Biggest problem for us was keeping the dogs/geese/parrots out of the soaking ones, hence a big lid on bucket now!

We buy in bulk, same as our oats, from some farmer mates and just winnow off any dusty muck before soaking! Throw them in a bucket with some cold water, put it in the shade and your done...in the middle of summer we often don't need to soak them for as long.

3. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Sorry if this is a REALLY stupid question;

I just got a bag of lupins off a friend, and don't know if they are whole or not. What are they meant to look like whole? These aren't flat, but they don't look like a whole pulse? Sorry if that doesn't make sense, just not sure now how long to soak them!

4. horsescomefirst

whole lupins are hard and round, like pea size. white with a brownish tint.

rolled lupins are flat and thin, like rolled barley and quite yellow cos the insides are yellow.

whole lupins are the only ones that need saoking and you soak in morning for dinner time and dinner time for next morning generally.

in these really hot days, few hours usually do**)

5. horsescomefirst

completely agree**)

all mine are on oats and soaked lupins and ACV and they look a treat :)

cant believe how quickley they fatten horses!!

6. celestialdancer

Okay, there's a lot of yellow in this bag, so guessing they're rolled/crushed?

I'll soak them for ten minutes, see how much they soften :p

7. horsescomefirst

sounds like they are steam rolled or crushed :) crushed would look like chook feed and rolled thin and flat:)

8. celestialdancer

Okay :D
    Awesome!

I'll soak them anyway, as the old boy doesn't have very many working teeth left anyway, poor lad.

9. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

Because I have a 30yo who gets part of the feed i make up. And they do absorb about their own weight in water, so gets a bit of extra fluid into the horses, and then i dont have to dampen the feed.
    There you go 3 reasons!:D

10. AnnieIvy

AnnieIvy Well-known Member

Okay so buzz isn't eating his whole lupins should I try flaked ones?
    Or is there no point?
    I have started putting molasses into the water where I soak the whole ones hoping it will absorb the yummness, but doesn't seem to of worked :(

11. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Not sure on that one but I do have a question for the powers that be. Could this thread become a sticky as lupins seems to be a very hot topic in regards to feeding horses? There's some really good info in here too and it would be a shame to lose it down through the pages and then have someone else pop up and ask questions about lupins when, everything you need to know about them, is in this thread here.

12. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

Yes I have one that wouldnt have a bar of soaked lupins at first(i think its the smell). So i started with a handful of dry flaked lupins in his favourite food, gradually increased it and dampened down the feed, now he'll eat just straight soaked lupins! Takes a while to get them used to them.

13. AnnieIvy

okay thanks :)
    May have to get some flaked ones now, the things we do for our horses lol

14. barragirl

barragirl Active Member

Very interesting, I usually feed crushed, but this week I bought whole T&Rs. Soaked for 12-14 hours, still rock solid and at least half didn't swell up. Am very very disappointed - waste of money #(

15. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Bess hates them too :/
    They're so fiddly as well!
    It's quite a considerable saving but I think I'm going to have to change to another food :(

16. AnnieIvy

What would you change to?

17. celestialdancer

Rocky hated them at first. But he didn't get a choice. He either ate them, or left his whole feed. Now he gallops into his stable and has hid head into his bucket before I can even call his name! Haha.

18. AnnieIvy

Buzz spits his out :/ its very annoying I have to move his food bucket so they go back in so I think he does end up eating them but not to sure because I always leave before he is finished.

19. horsescomefirst

exactly **)

it does usually take a few days for them to get used to them, but after small amount of time, they will come running for them **)

at least all mine do and anyone would think they are SO starved!!! :p

20. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Yes & you don't feed the WHOLE amount first, don't people add a new feed over a 1 to 2 wk period nowadays STILL???? ';'
    If you add small amounts & build up to the quantity you plan to feed over a period of time, you'll find having lupins (or whatever) mixed in with the other feed you feed - the horses may accept it more readily. ;)