Lupins

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by banna198, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Overnight- how many hours do you mean? Whole lupins I soak for 24hrs.. they are really soft then.

If you can't soak for that long crushed and flaked do the same job, you can either feed without soaking or soak for 20mins. Not too much difference in the price as well.

2. Animosity

Animosity Well-known Member

So i am having a problem too with my lupins not swelling. Have stopped feeding them at the moment and will get a bag of crushed instead.. but what can i do with the just under 40kgs of lupins?! My big one wont eat the hard feed when there are hard lupins in it and will just pull a very upset looking face at me!

3. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Are they T&R Animosity?

Do you know anyone that has sheep? Sheep love them, they are like little lollies to them!

4. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

My test is I squeeze them, the little lupin inside should pop out of the seed when they are ready :)

5. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

they are a hard pulse, they are not gonna soften to like marshmallows!!

its just to swell them so they dont sell in the gut :)

in this heat, you only need to soak them for a few hours ive found :))

6. rbk

rbk Active Member

I recc googling and reading (even if its only parts of it - or saving the doc for refernce) FEEDING HORSES IN AUSTRALIA by John Kohnke.
    Its worth your time and effort.........

7. Animosity

Animosity Well-known Member

Yep t and r, shame as I normally find them quite good and cheap too! Poor farmers hey. Have neighbors with sheep round the corner so will ask them. Thanks!

8. AnnieIvy

AnnieIvy Well-known Member

I soak them for around 12 hours for morning ones but then they stay in there for night, like I out as much as I need for two feeds in one.

haha okay I will have to try this :)

9. Hayley

Hayley Well-known Member

I have a couple of questions. Apologies if they have already been asked but I skimmed through and couldn't see a definite answer.

I just bought a bag of flaked lupins to stat my girl on. The stockfeeder said they didn't need to be soaked and alot of you said they don't either, but can you soak them if you want? Does it change them at all, beneficially or not? And how much would you be feeding to an Ottb coming into work who is quite light on (she gets worked 5 times a week)

Thanks in advance

10. Fe

Fe Well-known Member

Gotta love the mentality of a stock feed store owner.. I went in to buy a bag of just plain baged lupins, I was told they only have T&R, I proceeded to let him know that they werent soaking as they should be and lots of other people were having the issue. He told me too bad and to soak them longer and if I didnt like it then go else where.. WTF??? What a wa*ker.

Hayley. You can soak them if you like. I guess I would start at 1kg dry weight a day and work it up from there. What else does she get.

11. horsescomefirst

i got no idea why you would want to soak flaked lupins??

the only reason they are soaked is so the horse can eat and digest them!!

once they have been crushed or rolled, they are reay to be eaten and digested, no need for soaking.

and the only reason people soak whole oats is to remove some of the starch but lupins dont contain any starch whatsoever :}

12. horsescomefirst

surelly that wasnt mandurah stockfeeds??

13. Hayley

Hayley Well-known Member

14. Hayley

Hayley Well-known Member

Fe she is on

Chaff
    Lucerne
    Kind n Kool
    Copra
    FFS
    MSM
    Kohnkes Own Cell Vital
    MSM

i have started off with half a cup of the lupins, what does that equivelate to in kg's? Sorry i am seriously dumb!

15. horsescomefirst

16. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

You need heaps more lupins. Half a cup is only 100g or so. About 6-8 cups you will need.

17. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

You can soak crushed/flaked/micronised lupins if you want. It'll just make them softer. Don't soak all day, just for as long as it takes to go softer, which i have no idea how long that is, sorry.

18. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

5-10 minutes. Just do it instead of dampening the feed. Thats what I do-when i dont buy these stupid whole ones! Which i wont be again for some time..

19. horsescomefirst

interested to know why you soak flaked ones? even soaked whole lupins arent exactly soft!

is it to soften them a bit more?

20. Remaani

Remaani Guest

What a shame the T&R lupins aren't soaking. #(

I buy direct from the farm so have no problems thank god.