Lupins

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by banna198, Dec 16, 2010.

1. banna198

banna198 Active Member

HI
    can someone please tell me the difference between flaked and whole lupins and barley
    thanks';'

2. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

flaked has been 'cooked' and flattened so it is ready to feed out as is, whole must be soaked, (or boiled- barley- if you prefer)

3. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Any cereal grain that has been processed is more highly digestible to the horse than raw. However, lupins are virtually the same whether fed flaked, soaked whole or cracked.**):D

4. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Without creating a new thread on lupins..
    How long do I need to soak whole ones for? And do you use the leftover water that they have been soaking in?

5. IbanezGirl

IbanezGirl Well-known Member

i used to soak over night. and just tip out the left over water.:)

6. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I soak them in a big bucket overnight/during the day (in summer/now) the bucket goes into the beer fridge so they don't ferment but lately i've been slack so i have a huge pot we use for cooking marron, i stick the lupins in that, bring them to the boil then turn the stove off & they soften up with the lid on within an hour/less.
    I tip the water out but you can use it. **)

7. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

When feeds are made up at our place the whole lupins go in the buckets first and everything else goes on top. Then water is put in approx 12 hours before a particular feed is used. At this time of year, if left any longer, the lupins start to ferment. Then, 12 hours later, the whole feed is tipped into their feedbin. If we put too much water in, the horses spend a few extra minutes drinking the 'soup'. They love it.
    Any grain that has been crushed or rolled, starts to lose its protein content from the time it is processed at a much faster rate than whole grain, so unless your horse is unwell or aged, or needs a specific diet, then it is always better to feed whole grain.

8. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

flaked "isnt" cooked, its put through a steam roller to flatten. if you want cooked, you need micronised.

lupins dont contain starch so no benefit of buying rolled/micronised etc , just feed whole soaked.

steam rolled barley etc just helps the horse digest it slightly better, but nutrition is lost if not fed within 3 weeks of processing :)

9. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Thanks guys :D

Guna try her on it for a few months, she's a good weight at the moment and I am happy with her current diet but it's not exactly a cheap way to feed. However if she starts dropping condition or anything I'll suck it up and put it back on her current diet.

10. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

Whole soaked lupins, as with any other whole grain, is one of the most economical ways to feed - it is much cheaper than feeding any kind of processed feed. ';' You should only need to feed a pre-soaked cup full because it swells to more than twice its size and has the nutritional quality to match.
    Besides, the horse has evolved over tens of thousands of years to eat the grains that has also been evolving over that time, but processed feeds have only been around for tens of years. I know which one I'd prefer to feed!
    But, I do know how hard it is to find a diet that works for your horse and for you, so good luck.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  11. fuddles

fuddles Well-known Member

l soak the raw lupins with the whole barley overnight, when l feed l add the speedibeat or wheatbix with it then the sweet bulk mix that with the minerals and walla one economical feed best thing about feeding this way apart from the $ saved) the poos are softer and break down quicker:p:} or maybe its just the local birdlife who like my cooking talents

12. We have always been feeding soaked lupins, great stuff!
    Now we are feeding soaked peas.:D

13. horsescomefirst

completely agree!! lupins are the best feed out there!! love the stuff.

my OH grew pea hay last year and the horses preffered that over any of the other types!! good protein source for the boys!

14. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Lupins and barley are 2 different things. Lupins are pulses, same family as peas. Barley is a grain, like wheat and oats.

You must soak or cook whole lupins. You must not feed them whole. Though you can feed them crushed or steam whole without soaking.

Barley, like other grains, you can feed whole. Although being a grain, feeding them cooked in some way is far better for the horse. Cooking opens up the seed, and releases startch, and makes it more digestible, and the horse gets more out of it.

Up to you. I prefer both lupins and grain to be cooked in some way. Just makes it easier to digest, and as i said, the horse gets more out of it.

15. ClubIgnite

I know this, but hence the " " marks around 'cooked' for want of a better word..they are still using heat to process. and there is actually a benefit to buying rolled/micronised, its called convenience. no need to make up feed 12 hours before for it to soak. and really doesnt cost much more for steam rolled. $28 for 50kg steam rolled vs $24 for 40kg whole lupins.

16. banna198

banna198 Active Member

:) HI
    thank you all for the replys, its given me more options, not that he needs much food at the moment, he is doing quite well on grass, *#) probably to well';'

17. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

lupins question?

i was feeding lupin and barley to my horses this year, one went loopy the other didn't react.
    They are both fat as at the moment - one the size of a baby killer whale the other the size of a baby elephant - but come winter off goes the weight.
    so i was thinking how much (lupins) would u feed to "maintain" a weight so they don't get skinny and ur not playing catch up later???

18. ClubIgnite

on average over winter if just lupins i'd say 1.5kg-2.5kg per day. Dry weight.

19. horsescomefirst

ummm, i dont think you can feed barley WHOLE!!

20. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

They can be fed whole - just need to be boiled first. The easiest way to do this is to put them on to soak for 12 hours, bring them to the boil, simmer for 10 mins, then turn off the heat. Let them sit for another 12 hours, making sure they stay covered in water, and then feed them out. They will soften and more than double in size.
    Soaked lupins need to soak for at least 12 hours to soften the outer casing and swell. If the weather allows you to soak them for longer, do it because the lupins are actually at their most nutritious just as they start to germinate, usually at about 36 hrs.:D