Lungeing

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by widgelli, Dec 18, 2002.

1. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

What are your thoughts on lungeing , and how do you use it if you do , in the education and training of your horse.
    I found the lunging rein the handiest piece of equipment in my kit.

Jo

2. sil

sil Gold Member

Since I work mostly with young horses, lunging and long reining are things I have to teach.

Lunging is like riding - as good or as bad as you let it be. For me it is a good vehicle to teach voice commands, get them responsive to a lead and whip and nose pressure, and also to get used to a roller (girth pressure), crupper, working with a bridle on and the bitting rig.

I don't actually lunge off the bit, its too clumsy for a new mouth.

Once they go well with all the above I switch to long reining. To me it helps get the horse used to objects fluttering around their body and tail and legs for starters. This is also the first time they have a contact on the mouth and they learn to yield, walk, trot, halt and turn without the complication of a rider on their back.

I can have a young horse travelling in a very good frame, soft and happy. It's positive training for them and it keeps me fit too [​IMG] The best thing is that when they go to a new owner, everything is already taught and there are few problems.
    Sil

~ Do as much as it takes, do as little as it takes. ~

3. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

lunging can be a useful tool & make your life easier.
    a young horse can benefit by learning the commands you use without the complication of a rider, as SIL said above. on an older horse can be used to exercise or work out some problems. i don't lunge much because it makes me dizzy LOL
    but is always good for the horse to know how to do as one day may come in handy.

4. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

Lunging is great. Both for the horse and for the rider. I find a lot of people dismiss lunging here, as if it lessens your riding. I dont even know any one who focus's on lunging lessons for riders.
    The best way to fix up your riding position is on the lunge, where you can just focus on your self and not the horse. In america, it is extremely popular, and quite fashionable to have regular lunge lessons. Even the top riders are all for it.

I think it is good to practice lunging a horse, even for less experienced people. Ok, they may not do any good the first time, but with regular practice will become more confident (as what most people lack in lunging) and start to ask for more, making it much more benificial. And the horse will become more responsive. I dont recommend people to long rein their horse, without an experienced longreiner to help them. Longreining can be dangerous, when you change sides behind the horse. An accident from a very experienced instructor at pony club, has now stopped any involvement of longreining to be used there.

I dont like lunging caversons very much, as few actually fit the horses well, and they have to be done up soo tight so they dont move.

If you ever try out a horse, it is best to get the owner to lunged the horse first. that way you can see how they move unmounted with out interfirence.

-bec-

5. widgelli

Interesting your thoughts on a cavasson Bec. I dont use on either.
    I usually use the roller, side reins with the rubber rings in them as this gives the softness that is needed , and the bridle with the bit that this horse has been mouthed with.
    After this has been set up , I replace the headstall over the bridle with the noseband tightened enough so that it doesn't twist around the horses nose. To this I attach the lungeing rein, or sometimes two reins if the horse is very green.
    By doing the lungeing this way , you have control of the horse , but do not interfere with the horses mouth.
    One of the biggest bugbears that I have is to see someone trying to lunge a horse off the bit . This then can make the horses mouth lopsided , and make it hard for the one who has to ride this horse.
    I have found that lungeing is the best way to teach a young horse how to use its different leads to balance before it is ridden , and along with voice commands, it is so much easier to teach its changes when you do begin to work it on the circle.

Jo

6. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

I use the halter over the top with the babies, but with the more experienced one, i clip the lung rein from the outside, over the poll, and thru the inside bit. this gives a bit of control, as the head is encouraged to flex in more correctly than what the caverson asks. And for some reason the horses seem to relax a lot quicker, and stretch more, none of the tilting head that some horses get on the lunge, and straighter

when i first saw this way being done, i thought it bad putting the rein directly on the bit, but i tried it myself and its actually a lot kinder.

-bec-

7. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I don't use a lunge cavesson either. I tend to either lunge with the rein passed from the bit over the poll and back through the near side bit like whatr Beccy does, or I've got one of the bit attachments that I find mostly okay to use. One question to all of you though, once you have a horse lunging in side reins do any of you fit the side reins so the inside one is slightly shorter? I do by just a small amount but I've also read in a book that this isn't advised? But surely it is the same fundamentals as ridden work on a circle when your inside rein is slightly shorter than the outside rein? I mean it's not like shortening it that much that the horse swings it's quarters out to balance on the circle!?

Ali

8. sil

sil Gold Member

I use a bitting rig instead of side reins. Same effect except that the horse can turn its head as it pleases without dragging on one side of the head.

When I am bitting a horse on the lunge I normally have a halter with bit clips, and attach the line to the halter at the bottom.

Yes long lining can be dangerous but no more so than riding. Funny they quit the long lining after one accident but think nothing of regular riding accidents [​IMG]

Sil

9. widgelli

I have always used the inside rein a hole shorter than the outside rein, as I have found that this helps to stop the horse from falling in as it actually turns that head in direction that they are going. It also helps with their flexion.

Jo

10. sil

sil Gold Member

I don't worry about the inside rein being shorter, working on the theory that if they have a contact on the outside rein, the inside one will be a little loose.

11. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

I dont use a cavesson either and i dont like using side-reins because i feel they forse the horse into a false frame. I prefer to use the pessoa training aid looped through the bit with older horses and looped through the halther on younger ones.
    I like the pessoa because it encourages the horse to use its back end and therefore softens in front and relaxes.
    Gamby

12. widgelli

The side reins that I use are not a hard fix, as they have large rubber rings in the side of them , so that they only encourage the horse to drop its poll down a little. They are similar to having a rider on that has light hands , as the reins have quite a lot of give in them.

Jo

13. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

I never never have the inside shorter. They must be even. If the horses is working properly and through from behind and flexing laterally he should have the outside one will take up the contact and the inside would be slacked. Also it means no adjusting whilst your lunging.

-bec-

14. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

they quit long reining at pony club because the lady (who most of you may know) got serverly kicked in the face and smashed the bone. You can see her deformed scare still there after all this time, and it will always be a reminder. You've prolly seen her at eventing or ponyclub events and wondered what happened but never asked. she is quite high up in all fields as well as in dressage.

-bec-

15. sil

sil Gold Member

1. I don't use the Pessoa system becuase I dislike the way tension is put on the rig each stride, as the hind leg comes back. It also has a draw rein effect regardless of whether the horse is carrying himself correctly or not. However some people like it, and I have no beef with that.

2. Long reining, and long reining safely, are two different things. There are everyday people who are very safety conscious, and upper level people who have the worst habits imaginable. For those that long rein: who taught you? And did they discuss safety in this work?

16. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

I have videos from displays with nadeen merrywhether, and she is just brilliant, espicaly with pluto. A few years ago she was giving a display with one of her stallions (not the big boy) and he started shooting out in the back end. She was lucky to get out the way in time. She quickly adjusted the length so she was a good distance, nearly 15m away from the back end.

the passoa system.... well it has its advantages. If you have a well trained horse, and it has been out and coming back into work, then you can lunge it at its level when comming back in. Also if the horse gets a cut along the back (from a tree or nething) and cannot use a saddle pressure, but dont want the horse completely out of work, then it is an ok alternative.
    the disadvantages are the less experienced ppl using it, trying to put the horse into a frame it has not yet muscluarly established.

-bec-

17. icebabie296

icebabie296 New Member

I lunge my horses with all their gear on and leave a halter under the bridle, though I do use rope halters. I attach the lunge line to the halter. I think long reining is much more benificial for both horse and handler then lunging. The handler must concentrate on what they are doing and the horse can get as much out of it as if you were riding. I long rein my gelding, all the time, that's how I mouthed him. I started off with only his halter then moved to a bosal and will eventually move to a snaffle. He is working very nicly and knows what I want of him when I ride him. I think long rein is the bets way to mouth a horse and to re-educate an older horse. nad no matter what you are doing with your horses there is always a chance you will get hurt.

18. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

You can also lunge with 2 reins. inbetween lunging and longreining. this is safer, and a good way to learn longreining.

I like using the harness rig if i am lunging and longreining. they still have the roller and 2 long reins already attatched. i thin our harness gear gets used more for lunging that it does for harness [​IMG]

-bec-

19. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I also occasionally lunge with two reins. I agree though that as horses can be unpredictable any form of working with them can be dangerous. I am lucky enough to have horses that lunge without having to use a lunge whip so that leaves me abit freer with movements. I was kicked in the stomach years ago when I was lunging my young Standardbred gelding. He actually did it as I walked towards him after making him halt and it happened so quickly I'm not sure what made him do it? I was luckily only winded but I still managed to kick him back in the gut too and he's never kicked anyone since! When I first got him he was only rising 3 and didn't have many manners and he bit my husband as he stood next to him, and my husband (as weird as it is) grabbed his ear and bit him back and the horse never did it again!!! I guess that's how another horse would tell a horse off?

Ali

20. sil

sil Gold Member

If you longe with 2 lines, that is long reining. Contrary to popular belief the outside line doesn't need to be wrapped around the horse's backside to qualify. [​IMG]

And LOL at Ali, I could just see that too! I bet that horse didn't know whether he was coming or going...